What yardage are you comfortable with.

team muddy creek

Twelve Pointer
You guys that shoot blackhorn 209, at what yardage to you make your limit. I'm shooting 110 gr of bh209. I sighted in at 2 inches high at 100 yards. My longest shot is about 170 yards. Would you take that shot. I know practice makes perfect. I'm thinking i should be good out to that range. Thats a 250gr shockwave,out of 28 inch barrel.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My longest shot so far with it was 133 yards with 100 grains and a 250 gr SST. Where I'm at 140 yards is the farthest possible shot. I wouldn't be afraid of 170 yards power wise. I'd want to shoot paper for my own piece of mind on group size.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
With a good rest on a calm ,broadside deer I would take the shot with confidence,I've killed a couple around that distance.I shoot 110 gr bh209 with a 250 gr bullet

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Keep in mind you have about the same power as a 44magnum revolver. It’s tempting to stretch it out....but it is slowing down fast.

The good thing is you are slinging a heavy rock.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
You guys that shoot blackhorn 209, at what yardage to you make your limit. I'm shooting 110 gr of bh209. I sighted in at 2 inches high at 100 yards. My longest shot is about 170 yards. Would you take that shot. I know practice makes perfect. I'm thinking i should be good out to that range. Thats a 250gr shockwave,out of 28 inch barrel.

In my world you shouldn't shoot at a game animal at ranges that you haven't practiced at a target

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My Dad shoots 110 gr of Blackhorn behind a 250 gr Shockwave out of his T/C Encore Pro Hunter.
He shoots out to 300 yards in the off season, and gets pretty good groups.
In the 4-5” range

I know he has killed deer at 225-230 yds and he killed a coyote in Ga last year at 265.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Keep in mind you have about the same power as a 44magnum revolver. It’s tempting to stretch it out....but it is slowing down fast.

The good thing is you are slinging a heavy rock.

He’s got quite a bit more power than a 44 magnum revolver.

A .44 magnum revolver chunks a 240gr bullet at between 1200-1500 FPS depending on load and barrel length
A 240 gr bullet at 1500 FPS produces 1199 ft lbs of muzzle energy

A 250 gr bullet with 110 gr( by volume) of Blackhorn is moving at about 2,000-2,200 FPS out of a 24” barrel, he’s got a 28” barre so he’s probably closer to 2,300-2,350 FPS
A 250 gr bullet at 2200 FPS produces 2687 ft lbs of muzzle energy

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
He’s got quite a bit more power than a 44 magnum revolver.

A .44 magnum revolver chunks a 240gr bullet at between 1200-1500 FPS depending on load and barrel length
A 240 gr bullet at 1500 FPS produces 1199 ft lbs of muzzle energy

A 250 gr bullet with 110 gr( by volume) of Blackhorn is moving at about 2,000-2,200 FPS out of a 24” barrel, he’s got a 28” barre so he’s probably closer to 2,300-2,350 FPS
A 250 gr bullet at 2200 FPS produces 2687 ft lbs of muzzle energy

What does it produce at 170 yards? Should be pretty close to a 44 mag.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
110 grains of blackhorn should be pushing the 250 bullet around 2100 fps. Doing the math only you are on the very edge of your point blank range at 170-180 yards being around 3" low of point of aim most likely.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I will also add that the 250 shockwave BC is not great and starts dropping like a rock past 150 yds

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What does it produce at 170 yards? Should be pretty close to a 44 mag.

The 240 gr 44 magnum has about 725ft lbs of energy at 150 yards

The 250 gr Muzzleloader bullet has about 1415 ft lbs of energy at 150 yards

I’m basing that strictly on published velocities for those 2 loads.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The 240 gr 44 magnum has about 725ft lbs of energy at 150 yards

The 250 gr Muzzleloader bullet has about 1415 ft lbs of energy at 150 yards

I’m basing that strictly on published velocities for those 2 loads.

So a muzzleloader at 150-200 yards is very similar to a 44 magnum at point blank. Maybe I was unclear in the initial post.

team muddy creek

Twelve Pointer
Well, i'm just going to shoot it at that yardage and see what it will do, the last thing i want to do is mame up a deer. I may just wait until gun season and take time during black powder to trap coyotes and foxes.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just hunt at bow ranges and you'll be fine, at least that will put you in the stands that are already up. That's what I do typically and it seems to work well. My CVA will comfortably shoot in less than a 4 inch group at 200 yards if I can hold it there and I still prefer to hunt bow stands.

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
I have shot out to 150 yards confidently with the smoke stick. Shooting 100gn pyrodex and 285 shockwaves. I hold very good groups at 100 but open up pretty good at 200. Im sure if I worked on the load more and put more range time in I could go well above 150 but thats where I limit myself right now.

jboi72

Eight Pointer
Just hunt at bow ranges and you'll be fine, at least that will put you in the stands that are already up. That's what I do typically and it seems to work well. My CVA will comfortably shoot in less than a 4 inch group at 200 yards if I can hold it there and I still prefer to hunt bow stands.
That's exactly how I hunt almost all season long with all weapons, except for a field I hunt in Chatham which is 225 yards, but also don't even,think about attempting a shot even half that far with a muzzle loader.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I have shot out to 150 yards confidently with the smoke stick. Shooting 100gn pyrodex and 285 shockwaves. I hold very good groups at 100 but open up pretty good at 200. Im sure if I worked on the load more and put more range time in I could go well above 150 but thats where I limit myself right now.

Your accuracy would improve if you went to Blackhorn 209.

team muddy creek

Twelve Pointer
Well, i ordered some 300 gr. Scorpion PT gold, from harvester muzzeloading this morning, going to give them a try.