What y’all eating

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Thanks!
Obviously something I haven't had the pleasure of trying yet. Gotta look around but I'm not sure if we have those in the south 😁

Yes we do - they go from fiddlehead to fern fast though
Used to be a couple of Korean ladies that would harvest them on camp mackall, every spring during turkey season

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
I think there are several varieties that are edible. Not sure if all are. We have a potted fern on the back porch, but I’ll pass for now. It looks good but you better know before you eat it.
IMG_9042.jpeg

IMG_9043.jpeg

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
The other day the girls picked some mint. We obliterated with a mortise and pestle, and mixed powdered sugar and a splash of water until it was like playdough. Dipped in melting chocolate and BAM!! Miracle Max couldn’t have done any better.
IMG_9051.jpeg

IMG_9052.jpeg

IMG_9063.jpeg

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
so a while ago (15 years or so) a Mexican couple opened a restaurant in Raeford called Los Palmos,,,
they initially served a dish of Pollo Asado,, it was excellent
but it required marinating overnight and an oven,,, and I guess it was more work then they wanted to do, so they started "not having it today" even though it remained on the menu,,,
so my wife went to learning how to make it,,,,
she has it nailed

this was todays,,,, Pollo Assado, black bean "soup" (with finely diced onions and chiles), "Mexican rice",,,and a Mexican style salad,,,
70803207380__574AEB24-FC48-4606-9A58-EF8F93B8CE62.jpeg

good eats,,,

she told me when I came home Tuesday night that I had been eating enough wild food (my stuff) and she was cooking for me the next few days,,, so Tuesday night was steak,, last night was pork chops (them 1"+ style ones) and today this,,,

yeah,,, I'm spoiled,,,

Last edited:

LR308

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
so a while ago (15 years or so) a Mexican couple opened a restaurant in Raeford called Los Palmos,,,
they initially served a dish of Pollo Asado,, it was excellent
but it required marinating overnight and an oven,,, and I guess it was more work then they wanted to do, so they started "not having it today" even though it remained on the menu,,,
so my wife went to learning how to make it,,,,
she has it nailed

this was todays,,,, Pollo Assado, black bean "soup" (with finely diced onions and chiles), "Mexican rice",,,and a Mexican style salad,,,
View attachment 118034

good eats,,,

she told me when I came home Tuesday night that I had been eating enough wild food (my stuff) and she was cooking for me the next few days,,, so Tuesday night was steak,, last night was pork chops (them 1"+ style ones) and today this,,,

yeah,,, I'm spoiled,,,
Apparently my adoption papers never made it to your mailbox..... I guess I'm gonna have to look up the recipe and fend for myself.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Didn’t take a picture of whole anniversary breakfast ( rest was eggs, cheesy hashbrowns, and a pork chop) but this,,,,this needed its own highlight
Ok
Blueberry Grilled Cheese,,,, artesan bread, swiss cheese, and fresh blueberries cooked down with a bit of sugar and corn starch (my wife doesn’t use a lot of sugar as I don’t like it real sweet,,same with pie fillings)

IMG_4413.jpeg

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Spent the week on the beach at Topsail. Good lawd we ate like kings and queens!!! Not many pics, but the menu was crazy…I took my griddle and that thing got a workout👍

I won’t bore you with the details, but suffice to say we ate like this all week…IMG_5972.jpegIMG_6363_Original.jpeg

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
Have no fear. All is well. I noticed the Bluetooth thermometer was getting way too hot, way too fast. I was ready to pull and wrap the ribs anyway. Peppers had already been pulled. I went out to take a look and I was in the midst of a grease fire. The smoke chamber had some flames in it when I opened it, but they grew quickly and I promptly closed the door. I grabbed a pan and a fire extinguisher and went back out, grabbed the meat and taters and moved them away from the area and by the time I got back, the whole smoke chamber was a blaze. I hit it with the extinguisher (I was surprised at how fast that thing emptied) and snuffed it out rolled the hot log out and hosed it down, did a quick spray on the coals and shut it down.

Ribs are now wrapped and in the oven with the potatoes, peppers are going down nicely with a cold beverage, and the smoker is due for a date with the pressure washer.

IMG_9102.jpeg

IMG_9104.jpeg

dcmayo311

Four Pointer
Last week I found a "used once" Masterbuilt electric smoker on FB Marketplace for $80 so I figured I'd add it to my outdoor options. It was in really great condition. Yesterday I gave it a trial run with a 8 pound bone in pork shoulder. Turned out great! It went in the preheated smoker at 8:15am at 250 and came off at 8:25pm. When it reached 160 internal I took it out and wrapped it then let it cook at 275 until it reached 203 internal.

Attachments

• MicrosoftTeams-image (6).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (6).jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 10
  • MicrosoftTeams-image (9).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (9).jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 10
  • MicrosoftTeams-image (7).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (7).jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 10
  • MicrosoftTeams-image (5).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (5).jpg