What would you get?

big bore bob

Eight Pointer
I have had a in line Thompson Thunderhawk in stainless steel 50 cal. for years and it has never failed me.
But I am getting older, eyes not as sharp, my fingers are dumber and those #11 primers are getting hard to put on the nipple, and almost impossible when you are in a hurry for the second shot.
SO, I'm thinking I need to find something newer with a 209 primer system and easy to access the nipple.

What would you guys buy? I'm not a rich man so funds are not unlimited, but I want one that is easy to use and will work good when it's raining some.
New or a good used one is fine.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Anything made by Knight. I would give up every gun in my safe before I gave up my Disc Elite with the bare 209 conversion. It has literally killed a ton of deer in multiple states.
Subscribe to their emails and you'll see some fantastic deals at different times of the year. Back before Christmas they even ran a one day, 2 for 1 sale.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Then again, TC makes some great ones too. The renegades and senecas were amazing.....not online for ya lol.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
As long as it can use smokeless powder. I left black powder and its derivatives behind years ago. No more stank, no more corrosion issues, just run a patch thru it once a year and be done with it. I have an old Savage ML10 and wouldn't trade it for the world.

DarrinG

Six Pointer
I'd keep that sidelock and buy myself a really well made capper! I guess I'm from the old school about muzzlelading guns and prefer the old way.

Lonewolf

Button Buck
I purchased a Thompson center impact
I really like the rifle the medium rings seem no problem with a 40 mm scope getting the trigger into the fire position.
The gun drives tacks
The only negative I find in the Ramrod moves forward after the shot

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
CVA Optima as first choice or Wolf if you're trying to be as cheap as possible for a decent ML. I don't think you can go wrong with many of the others that were mentioned in this thread as long as the breechplug is easily removed for cleaning and the breech is completely sealed when the action is closed. Stainless is really nice, but not necessary with the newer powders and the ease of cleaning.

Windini

Spike
I bought a TC Impact. Great deal, and works well for me. FO sights from the factory were fine out to 50yds (on paper), but my old eyes need magnification beyond that. I put a Weaver 3-9 x 40 on it, tube is kinda long & I could barey fit it behind the rear sight and get acceptable eye relief. I haven't fired it since I scoped it. Will let you know if it bites!

Lonewolf

Button Buck
I did get caught a few times just on my nose bridge.
The Bushnell scoot did not have enough eye relief.
I did purchase another Bushnell with the extra long eye relief.
I would say a good 5"
The scope set up is .025 clearance from the rear sight.
You do need medium rings.
The impact rifle has no weight to tame recoil.

big bore bob

Eight Pointer
Then again, TC makes some great ones too. The renegades and senecas were amazing.....not online for ya lol.
Yep, I have an old Seneca in .45 with the two triggers. I just leave it hanging on the den wall now. It is a beauty.
Am looking at the TC impact and the CVA Optima now. Hard decision to make.

Lonewolf

Button Buck
Optima a great gun but the L.O.P. for me is way too long.
When hunting black powder season up north the temperature tun in December run extremely cold.
You really need to pack on the heavy jacket.
The gun CVA is a lot heavy the the impact rifle

big bore bob

Eight Pointer
Can someone explain to me how the Impact functions please? (edit add)And the Optima too please.
I live in BFE and am nowhere close to a store that stocks muzzleloaders and can't get my hands on one to see how it works. So I will have to order off the internet without actually putting my hands on one. Thanks.

Last edited:

Windini

Spike
I'm a newbie as far as muzzleloading is concerned; my previous experience is with cap & ball revolvers and a blunderbuss kit a friend sent me to tinker with when I was laid up after Achilles tendon surgery. So from a rookie perspective:

The Impact looks and shoulders like a modern rifle. It differs from the traditional ML in that it has a break-open action; you pour measured powder down the barrel, insert a bullet (I've used plastic sabot'd lead bullets & copper-jacketed ballistic tips, so far), ram it down, then (while pointing it in a safe direction, of course) break it open and insert a 209 shotgun primer in the breech. Close it up, cock the hammer manually, aim, & bang!

Mine came with fiber optic insert sights. I bought a rail & mounted a scope (it came drilled & tapped) because I can't see past 50yds anymore.

The breech plug unscrews for easier cleaning.

I've been happy with mine so far, but still got some fine-tuning to do. Shucks! Another trip to the range... ;)

Andrewd

Six Pointer
I own both. I prefer the impact over the optima. Go some where that has some and hold them. See what fits you best.

81toyota

Twelve Pointer
I had an impact and 1 thing about them is to make sure the breach 0lug threads are clean. I mean really clean. Like new gun clean. If not you'll think the breach plug is all the way in when in reality it isnt and eventually itll change you poi and groupings. It will also overtime get to the point you cant close the beach. Another thing i didnt kole it the breach opening tabs. With gloves hands it was a chore at time to pull the tabs back enough to get the breach to open. Also any plastic sabotage is good. But use a lubricant like bore butter it helps a ton. Something I learned as well. I do like the removable breach plug where if something happens you can dump the powder out the breach and knock the saboteur back forward out of the barrel. I sold my impact and dont think I will buy another impact even tho I love TC.

Also I was shooting hornady xtps I believe and never had a complete pass through or decent blood trail with kills ranging 25 yrds to 75+. Got lucky and managed to find every deer shot with those rounds but they didnt preform like I wanted with 100 gr. of prydoex pellets pushing them. They grouped great after I figured out my breach plug issue.

Good luck with whatever you purchase.