What to plant

muzzymomentless

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Finished up clearing a spot for a new food plot today. Thinking about white clover and maybe mixing in a brassica mix later in the summer. Would appreciate any recommendations.
db1bc0c563f1a6bc06f4b06e673e51e7.jpg
eb20f4787ff16ecf6d51dd309063daf9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
Cow peas for the summer , plant them in mid May. Then around Labor Day , plant that brassica mix. Whitetail Institute pure attraction is a good bet.

muzzymomentless

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Thanks, think I will try the cow peas. Im sending a soil test in this week so should be ready to plant mid may.

muzzymomentless

Eight Pointer
Contributor
I was planning on planting the clover in the next month or so. Im not looking to just hunt over it, I'm looking to give the deer something to draw them to my property plus give them some added nutrition. Figured to get the cover established and keep it mowed down periodically if the deer don't mow it down themselves

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
The cow peas are a much better summer time choice. Clover spends 2/3 of it energy building a root system. By the time it emerges it’ll be really warm. Young clover doesn’t typically do good in hot conditions.

the cow peas , once established will keep sprouting new growth all summer.

far as nutrition , cow peas will give your deer plenty of crude protein.

Castle Oak 2

Six Pointer
^^^. I'd wait on the clover until Sept-Oct. Get your soil samples, apply lime and fertilizer as directed and plant a blend of cow peas and buckwheat for the summer. By early fall, your pH should be within limits for clover. New clover plots need plenty of cool weather to lay down a good root system.

muzzymomentless

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Im in the mountains around 3000' elevation. I was thinking if I planted the clover soon it should get a good start before hot weather gets here. If I wait till September or October I'm afraid it won't make it if we get a early frost out freeze, which is not uncommon here.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Wait till the first week in September. You will be fine. I got snow up in Rockingham the first week in November. Did not plant till late September.
Durana clover is not going to give you much grazing this year. Grows slower than ladino but it will last. I can plant 20 pounds of ladino on 4 acres up at the Rock and it is gone in 1 year.
The Durana is still going strong after 3.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It will take the lime until September to work anyway, plan on grains like buckwheat or rye that can handle the acid soil until you get the soil right. Otherwise you're just wasting your money. You can sow crimson now and it may last in the heat awhile with the grain for shade.

Reactions: jug

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It will take the lime until September to work anyway, plan on grains like buckwheat or rye that can handle the acid soil until you get the soil right. Otherwise you're just wasting your money. You can sow crimson now and it may last in the heat awhile with the grain for shade.
Eric is right. Takes at least 3 months for pellet lime to give you the full effect.
Ag lime works in less than 2 months

muzzymomentless

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Got the lime out today between Turkey hunts. Supposed to start raining tomorrow so good timing I guess. May get another 500 lbs next weekend, don't guess it will hurt.
e02808824a96049e4b700aded56845ab.jpg

muzzymomentless

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Got my cow peas planted today and refreshed my mineral site. Got alot of deer hitting the minerals for the last month or so.

The rye and red clover that I planted had come up good but not growing much. Thinking maybe that cold spell might have stunted the growth.

muzzymomentless

Eight Pointer
Contributor
I went and checked on my cow pea patch yesterday and alot of the seed had been uncovered by all the rain we had last week

The seed had sprouted but just got uncovered. I went this afternoon and covered the patch with straw, didn't know what else to do. Any thoughts? Think it will help?

muzzymomentless

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Just updating my original post. Did plot is doing ok. Started off planting clover and rye back in April. Then in late may planted cow peas and scattered some corn in with them.

Last week end I planted turnips and sugar beets. Went by this morning and that seed has sprouted.

Looking decent I think.
3adeae6ebbb0f50b6de08f6aea0df493.jpg
41c409c360de2f178b3c14166cb623f2.jpg