What to do in February?

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
If you had a three day weekend near the end of February and a little cash to spend what would you like to do in NC. I'm in this situation and I don't know of anything I would enjoy. I'm an outdoor type of person and most season's are closed by then .

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Sounds like a trip to the Dixie Deer Classic to me. Buy some gear and get ready for upcoming season. Far as the money goes if you dont find stuff for yourself to use you could buy door prizes for the dinner afterward. šŸ˜‰

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
I've done the deer classic before and that's really not my type of thing. I have thought about shooting some quail at a preserve. Thanks guys keep the ideas coming

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Go to Nashville, TN or maybe head to OBX and catch a charter out of OI weather permitting. Them tunas are out there year round.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
Definitely not cutting grass , if a bush hog or round up won't get it done it deserves to grow. I like the crappie recommendation. Maybe shad . I guess my mind is still in hunting mood

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
Crappie should be firing up if we do not get some kind of really cold weather. With warm winter I figure that will come late March. Also there are some hunting preserves around that are still in season. Try some crow, hog or predator hunting.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Crappie should be firing up if we do not get some kind of really cold weather. With warm winter I figure that will come late March. Also there are some hunting preserves around that are still in season. Try some crow, hog or predator hunting.

you wanna see fired up crappie, wait til the runoff stops and we have a couple days of high pressure and lows in the 20s and highs in the 40s. Thats when your good bites will be. One of my best days was 31F snowing like hell and water temps were 39F.

another morning trip that comes to mind was Christmas morning 2013. Three man limit on Norman in about 2 hours with none under 10ā€. Smacking the ice out of the guides every few minutes as it would build up. 24-25F that morning.

That jig bite gonna heat up with this cold front!

darenative

Twelve Pointer
you wanna see fired up crappie, wait til the runoff stops and we have a couple days of high pressure and lows in the 20s and highs in the 40s. Thats when your good bites will be. One of my best days was 31F snowing like hell and water temps were 39F.

another morning trip that comes to mind was Christmas morning 2013. Three man limit on Norman in about 2 hours with none under 10ā€. Smacking the ice out of the guides every few minutes as it would build up. 24-25F that morning.

Our deep water bite has died with the warm up. Our stuff is up on the bank in skinny water all scattered out right now..
Come on cold frontšŸ˜‚

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Sandhills beat me to it. Depending on the road conditions, waterfalls in Western NC and SC can be very cool to photograph in frigid temps! Plus, driving between them is cool give all of the icicles (needed spell check for that) on the northern facing rocks above.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Small game and trapping seasons go until Feb. 29 if you want to keep hunting or have a trapper's license. Beaver trapping season goes until March 31.

If it was me and I had a 3-day weekend, I'd trap and hunt squirrels all day every day, but that's me. Do what you enjoy!

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
3 day weekend in February?...sounds like a good time lay on the couch wrapped up in a blanket and do absolutely nothing [emoji14]
Sorry, I'm lazy and tight so laying around and not spending money is my kinda weekend..lol

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Helium

Old Mossy Horns

This ^^^^ Iā€™ve wore em out in freezing cold and with snow