What should be done about the nfl "no call"?

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
So it's all over anything you look at online. I've even been on the Saints forum today to see the amount of rage. It's gotta be, sports wise, historical. The evening news just showed the play and I'm at a loss for words. Terms like "cheating, conspiracy, robbed" I'm not sure are strong enough.

What should Goodell do, if anything? Replay the game this weekend? Award the game to the most likely winner? Sit on his butt and do nothing but offer some words?

I'm not sure anything like this has ever happened in USA pro sports before where it literally decided the outcome of who plays for a championship.

I do feel for the players, I know they start every season hoping to play in the championship and to see it taken away like that is wrong on EVERY level!

Wildlifer

Twelve Pointer
Most likely nothing happens in this case. I think it does make a strong argument for future rule changes. Some ideas I’ve seen and would be in favor of are more challenge flags and opening up more plays to be reviewed. Of course it’s not easy to implement bc no one wants to drag the game out, ruin the pace, and listen to Tony Romo break down the play for 5 minutes.
It seems pretty simple they something as blatant as that with game changing implications could at least be reviewed or challenged. For gosh sake it’s 2019 and we are relying on flawed humans to make snap decisions.

Rubline

Eight Pointer
The NFL should pay the Saints organization and each player what ever amount they would have made if they advanced to the Super Bowl.
Most players have incentives built into their contract such as making the playoffs and making the Super Bowl.
They all lost money when they lost the game Sunday.
The NFL should pay each one of them and if they don't I would think there's a good possibility they can get sued.

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
The NFL should pay the Saints organization and each player what ever amount they would have made if they advanced to the Super Bowl.
Most players have incentives built into their contract such as making the playoffs and making the Super Bowl.
The NFL should pay each one of them and if they don't I would think there's a good possibility they can get sued.
Yeah, the poor guys will be lucky to keep their families fed through the summer....

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
So it's all over anything you look at online. I've even been on the Saints forum today to see the amount of rage. It's gotta be, sports wise, historical. The evening news just showed the play and I'm at a loss for words. Terms like "cheating, conspiracy, robbed" I'm not sure are strong enough.

What should Goodell do, if anything? Replay the game this weekend? Award the game to the most likely winner? Sit on his butt and do nothing but offer some words?

I'm not sure anything like this has ever happened in USA pro sports before where it literally decided the outcome of who plays for a championship.

I do feel for the players, I know they start every season hoping to play in the championship and to see it taken away like that is wrong on EVERY level!
Bad calls have been a thing forever. Referees have affected the outcome of games before, none of them were replayed. No winners were changed. Rules may get changed, but this one in the past.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
No easy way out of that for the nfl. but some of the ideas that have been floated such as replaying the game are past absurd.
In today's world where we have to "get everything right" it's a catastrophe. years ago just part of the game.

Jake NFC

Ten Pointer
Typical millenial mentality. Kind of like them taking a test over and over in school until they get the result they want. Really, replay the game, not going to happen. I wanted the Saints to win also but it’s only a game. Much more important things going on in our country right now than worry about a bunch of over paid athletes.

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I see this as karma for the Saints' Bounty-gate scandal.

Good teams don't let one play beat them. No guarantee they would have scored a TD on that drive anyway.

Going forward the NFL will probably allow all plays to be reviewed (even judgement calls), with the same number of allowable challenges.

The most egregious missed call all weekend was the "roughing the passer" flag for Brady. The double standard between 'roughing Tom Brady' and 'roughing Cam Newton' is laughable...

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor

There was a ref standing right there and at the time his primary job was to watch the attempted reception and, if a catch was made, to see if the goal line was crossed by the ball while in play. The lack of a defensive pass interference call on that play is nothing short of shameful.

With that said, under the current rules there is nothing to be done. The Rules Committee say that during the off season they will look into changing rules to allow replay reviews of certain calls or no-calls. And why not? They review everything else and given that we're talking about a multi-billion dollar business they had better get things right.. The bottom line is that the Saints should have had a first and goal. All they had to do was snap the ball late in the play count, run the ball three times and kick the field goal with 4 seconds left on the clock.

And as a side note for the Patriots, I'm already sick of hearing about Brady tooting his own horn over the come from behind win. He had thrown an inaccurate pass that went off of Gronkowski's (?) hands and was intercepted with less than a minute left while the Chiefs had a 4 point lead. That play was called back due to a Chiefs defensive player lining up in the neutral zone-pretty unforgivable at any time. A simple yet dumb mistake by a careless defender gave the Patriots the ball back. After all, how hard is it to learn to look at the ball before going into your stance?

After the Patriots drive was given new life by a blown roughing the passer call. The three refs with a clear view of Brady's face, where the supposed hit to the head happened, didn't make a call yet the guy behind him, with no view whatever of the front of his head threw the flag. Yet another shameful call. Instead of 3rd and 7 the Patriots got a first down out of it.

But at least the Chief's mistake that nullified the interception was made by a player, not by an inattentive or (momentarily at least) incompetent ref.

And I'm more impressed by how fast the Chiefs got back down the field and tied the game with just a few seconds left than with the Patriots drive.

Lance

dpc

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I broke down and watched good chunk of both games Sunday. Holy sh*t they were painfully long. They need less rules and speed the game up.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I hear they are trying to force Chick fil A to open for the game being they have a place there. They stated they will be closed it is Sunday....

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
What I find funny is the NFL is "investigating" some laser pointer at Brady (a serious issue for sure), but crickets about the no call?

NO WAY they can force Chic Fil A to do ANYTHING. That company is SUPERMAN compared to the NFL.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
USA pro sports
dude,,,,what have I told you?

Professional Football is big business,,,

Big business doesn't plan to entrust their revenue to fate and good luck,,,

I am 87.9% confident that the superbowl teams are decided before the season is played,,,,and it's run by the "good ol' billionaires club" of the owners,,,in this case it took a "bad call" to make sure the game went the way they needed

or maybe not,,,

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The Patriots organization is the 2nd richest NFL franchise and the Rams are the 4th richest NFL franchise as of 2018.
Yeah money talks....
Chiefs and Saints are not in the top 10.

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
dude,,,,what have I told you?

Professional Football is big business,,,

Big business doesn't plan to entrust their revenue to fate and good luck,,,

I am 87.9% confident that the superbowl teams are decided before the season is played,,,,and it's run by the "good ol' billionaires club" of the owners,,,in this case it took a "bad call" to make sure the game went the way they needed

or maybe not,,,
you're making mek look tame with that claim.
I hope it's" maybe not "

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
If they ever start letting coaches challenge no calls the games will never end and the refs will be questioned after every play. I forget who said it but I agree that there is pass interference on both sides on almost every play. And don't get me started about holding! The game has been ruined by all the rules to "protect" certain players at certain times. Go back and watch video of say Superbowl 111 and see the difference.

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
I see this as karma for the Saints' Bounty-gate scandal.

Good teams don't let one play beat them. No guarantee they would have scored a TD on that drive anyway.

Going forward the NFL will probably allow all plays to be reviewed (even judgement calls), with the same number of allowable challenges.

The most egregious missed call all weekend was the "roughing the passer" flag for Brady. The double standard between 'roughing Tom Brady' and 'roughing Cam Newton' is laughable...
I think Sean Payton and the Saints paid dearly in real time for bounty gate. If Karma was real, the earth would've swallowed the Patriots after deflate gate, spy gate, tackle eligible gate...

Agreed about the roughing the passer call on Brady. Mahomes got the same slap in the chest earlier in the game and no flag dropped.

Reactions: jug

waymoe1

Eight Pointer
nothing move on! Bad calls happen its part of the game! Refs are human it adds to the game, just another example of how our country is going down in the dumps.

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
There is very little doubt that this one missed call did in fact huge impact on the outcome of that game. If it had been called it would've been NO's ball 1st and goal on the 3 or 4 yard line (?) with 1:40 left in the game and LA with no time outs. A couple of safe rushing plays to run the clock down, then a couple kneel downs, and the clock runs out. IMO, there was a 99% or more chance that NO wins the game if the call had been made.

With that said, absolutely nothing should be done by the NFL concerning the no call. It is over and done. The Saints fans need to just get over it and the coaches and players need to start preparing for next season.

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer
What should be done? Of course the answer is file a lawsuit! A couple fans have already filed lawsuits against the NFL. I don’t know which is worse, fans filing the lawsuit or a lawyer that agreed to represent them.