What router bit do I need?

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm a decent carpenter, I can build for myself but I'd never make a living at it and wouldn't make a pimple on a good trim carpenter's behind! I'm a complete rookie at anything I'd consider "technical" woodworking. I've got a container stacked with 3/4"x8" pine planking and I want to turn it to shiplap for the inside of this container home. What I have to work with is a 1/4" router, a good planer, an old table saw...and plenty of time.
Seems like after the planks are ripped and planed it would be simple to use the router with the right bit(or bits) to turn them into shiplap. Right or wrong? If I'm right can someone please tell me what router bit I need? Lol, better yet if you can point it out on Amazon that'd be great!

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Can your tablesaw take a dado stack? If so I would run it through there and make a rabbet exactly half the thickness. Traditional shiplap will be 1/2" on one edge and 3/4" on the other side leaving 1/4" reveal when you put it together.
On the router you would use a 1/2" straight/ dado bit and a 3/4" bit. Since you will be running a lot of it I would spend the money on a spiral cut bit.
Lastly I have a full size saw and have been wanting to get a dado stack for it if I can be of any help.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks wildlifer, it's much appreciated! Lol, like I told ya, I'm a complete novice, but with that information and the proper nomenclature for the bits I think I can handle it with the router....

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If it has knots on the edges make damn sure and wear safety glasses. It will bust them and sling them out like missiles.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If it has knots on the edges make damn sure and wear safety glasses. It will bust them and sling them out like missiles.
Looking at the ones I've planed so far they're pretty clean but I wear safety glasses or a full face shield for everything I do with power tools. I had to pull a piece of steel wire out of my cheek a long time ago, I learned my lesson....

dbcrowbar

Six Pointer
Table saw with stack dados will b quicker. u can get buy with one pass on each edge. taking that much out with a single pass with a 1/4" router bit will b hard on that small of machine

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm going to have to do some YouTubing about dados, I've never used them before, and honestly don't know if this old table saw of mine is even capable of handling them.....

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well, now that I know about dados I see you guys are spot-on, that would be the easiest way to handle the volume of lumber I have to run through. Now to see if this old antique will hold up.....
Thanks again folks!

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
It’s not hard, just a non through or blind cut. The router capability would be dependent on your final thickness of the planks.
table saw would be the best choice for a lot of work