What region in north Carolina has the biggest deer not just horns but overall?

ditchbank

Banned
no not at all.. just saying most scales are way off

These were not store bought scales, we didn't have anything that big back then, we carried this particular deer to a tobacco warehouse and laid him on their certified scales. Without those scales I would never post it, but this deer was in NC SPORTSMAN MAGAZINE and a whole article was written about deer in NC getting that big. Maybe someone could find the article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
The 200 lb deer story gets thrown around a lot. Haven't seen many deer on this thread that are 200 lbs

that was the thought expressed a lot on this forum a few years ago. it was seen quickly that nc has 200lb deer.

BUt the ability of deer hunters to over estimate weight is only exceeded by turkey hunters and fishermen. :)

Last edited:

Doc

Twelve Pointer
I've got pics of deer on scale that weighed 202. Let me try and dig the pic up. Upgraded phones since then, and don't have it saved on my phone anymore.

Found the pic that I was talking about in above post. It's posted above.

I know the topic is long gone, but I wanted to post the pic since I finally found it

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
An approximate conversion of a Deer's Live wt.to Field Dressed wt:#80LW=60#FD;#90=70#;105#=80#;115#=#90;130#=100#;140#=110#;155#=120#. I seriously doubt a doe in normal NC habitat rarely will ever come that close or exceed 140#'s live weight.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I spoke to Chris kreh at the DDC in Friday and we got to talking about deer weights. He's a biologist in the northwestern district. He told me that he worked with several clubs in Ashe county and 225-240lb deer were not uncommon. He also made it very clear that it wasn't the norm either. I believe him. Hunted in Ashe for years and now hunt on the Wilkes/Ashe line. Some large bodies deer up there. I have one on my wall that everyone swears came from Canada, but he was shot about 10 min north of west jefferson.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Chris is awesome. He was the District Biologist in that area. He's the turkey/grouse/quail biologist now. He's sharp, knows his stuff.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Building off of big bows post, I shot a cowhorn years ago that dressed 161 after it hung in a cooler for over a week.

Frogger

No deer have horns... Just antlers and yes there is a big difference

Last edited:

jab0106

Ten Pointer
An approximate conversion of a Deer's Live wt.to Field Dressed wt:#80LW=60#FD;#90=70#;105#=80#;115#=#90;130#=100#;140#=110#;155#=120#. I seriously doubt a doe in normal NC habitat rarely will ever come that close or exceed 140#'s live weight.

have seen personally a couple that went over 150#. they are freaks of nature i will admit.

Victor Marrow

Button Buck

Attachments

• Victor Marrow Buck - Halifax County, North Carolina.jpg
    Victor Marrow Buck - Halifax County, North Carolina.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 83
  • big game harvest record victor marrow buck.jpg
    big game harvest record victor marrow buck.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 81
  • John Wesley Johnson2.png
    John Wesley Johnson2.png
    606.6 KB · Views: 81

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
That's a nice deer. I hunt in enfield and they have some nice bucks running around. I would say on the topic as far as overall herd the North western part of the state. I have got a place just over the line in Virginia and I'm seeing not only some nice bucks some big body does as well. I don't doubt that many parts of the state can produce some nice size bucks if you let them grow but if you want to Judge the overall body size of a herd look at the does.

6mm250

Eight Pointer
Some guys won the pollocksville tourny a few years back brought in a deer that weighed 218 gutted. Some of you may remember that one. They claim they killed it in croatan national forrest. I call BS
I would not bet that they did and I would not bet that they didn't.
I have on very rare occasions seen some huge deer back in the pocosin.
The thing is , a deer like that can be born , live it's entire life , & die ; never seen by human eyes , trailcam or dog.

Most of the deer here on the Croatan are scrubby things but there are exceptions

Mike

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I know of one bow killed NC buck that weighed 272 live weight, I'll just say the NW mountain counties are the place for huge bodied bucks. The same hunter took a doe over 150 pounds.

Attachments

• Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Scan 2.jpg
    Scan 2.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 64

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I have a friend outside of Pittsboro who killed a big 9 point buck off Rocky River that weighed 252# on the hog scales at Pittsboro Ice & fuel back in the 1990s. When I worked at the local sports shop & checked in a LOT of deer, I saw another buck that was just a big, but we didn't get to weigh him. It green scored 160+ inches and came off the fire tower hill in Pittsboro. It took 3 men to get that buck out of the woods & load him on the truck. It was probably the most impressive deer I've ever seen from around here. I saw another buck on the hoof that nobody ever killed, that was eating pears off Jimmy Collins' pear tree off the Hanks Chapel Road one night just after dark in Fall of 1988. He strolled across the road in front of us and was head & shoulders bigger than any other deer around. He made what we considered a "real nice" 8 point look like a minnow. It would have made news if anybody ever got him. My buddy Tony still talks about how big that deer was.

I've killed 3 bucks 200+ pounds in my life. One from Wake County @ 228# (out by the airport in the early 1980s), another from Chatham by the Haw River @218#, and one from Granville County by the Tar River @211#. The bigger two took a lot of effort to get out of the woods and made me question the wisdom of hunting so far back in the woods.

Jim

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I used to hunt a club in Piedmont Fairfield Co, SC. In 20+ years only once was a +200# buck harvested. 3 1/2 y.o.+ bucks were typically in the 165-175# range.

UltraSlug

Six Pointer
I killed a 214lb 5 point a few years back. I didn't have a fourwheeler so dragging him out was hell. I literally would pick his head up and fall backwards to drag him. I inched him to the field edge that way and drove my truck through knee high corn stubble to get him. My back was blew out for about a week afterwards...

Anyway, that was union county near the SC border with plenty of white oaks and agriculture land around. A year or so later I killed an 8pt that weighed in at 185lbs from the same place. All my other bucks have been 175 or less between union and anson county

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Never owned a set of scales or weighed a deer…..rarely discuss weight past the point of he’s a big un or she’s a fat one….. never cared or thought much about it….

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Never owned a set of scales or weighed a deer…..rarely discuss weight past the point of he’s a big un or she’s a fat one….. never cared or thought much about it….

If you hunt an area where the bucks have jacked up racks then all you have is weight...😛
Thats why y'all dont talk about, your places has good genetics 😉

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
I killed a buck back on Nov. 28, 2000 in Harnett Co. that weighed 202 dressed. Got pictures of him hanging dressing him out but dont know how to post pictures. He had scares on his neck from fighting.....all my son and I could do loading him on a utility trailer. Have seen some big ones over the years from Chatham Co. in a hunting club use to hunt....pushing 200#.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Heaviest 2 deer I’ve ever killed were in Grayson county Va just across the state line from Ashe and Allegheny.

1 was 210# live weight… the other field dressed close to 220#
Only deer in NC I’ve ever killed over 200# was in Chatham county

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
Growing up hunting southeastern NC I have never seen a 200 lb deer. I saw one once that came off of the Cape Fear River lowlands and I was told he weighed 190 by a very legitimate source. Never seen anything even close to that big before or since.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Only seen one buck I'm sure was well over 200 lbs. Buddy killed him but didn't weigh him. All I can say he dwarfed the other deer does and bucks and he could not hide in the cutover, he was too big. I saw him in bow season that year. My friend killed him on black powder. It took a 48 qt. and a 60 qt. cooler to hold the quartered deer. The shoulders were larger than most deer hind quarters. He had a 16" 6 pt rack, that looked really small on his head/body. I have seen some other large bucks in this area, but this one was by far the largest.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
I think there was another thread on heavy deer earlier this season that I posted on. Only shot one that was over 200 live weight but had several that I thought would go that heavy until they got put on scales. They had the large frame for it but after the rut that weight is lost

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns

237 from Greene County?
Man whats going on down there. Mattyice on here posts some good ones and now this one. Y'all better be careful posting so much or the big money folks will start leasing your land out from under you....😛

Reactions: TH7