What region in north Carolina has the biggest deer not just horns but overall?

zjohn14

Four Pointer
Wanted to hear what everyone thought about this topic. It got brought up tonight while a doe was being skinned. Mostly everyone said the mountain region of nc has biggest body deer out of the whole state. What do you guys think

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk

ditchbank

Banned
I would stay away from dog counties if you looking for heavy deer. They tend to get plenty of exercise. Real good friend of mine killed one that was 269lbs here in the late 90s, but I would think the Midwest would hold most of your heavier deer. They have the biggest antlers and with big antlers comes healthy big deer.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
For weight, if I had to guess, I'd say NW portion - Ashe county.

I read some data on this several years ago, collected by the WRC. Seemed like I remember Yadkin county having a very high average deer weight, according to what they collected.

Here is an article that includes some info from several years ago. District 7 had significantly higher body weights, for the bucks shot, than those throughout the rest of the state. Of course those stats can be biased by the age of bucks shot within that district.

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/hunting/hunting_whitetail-deer-hunting_nc_1105_01/

Last edited:

Doc

Twelve Pointer
I think that a mature watauga county buck will most likely weight 200 or more pounds. That's based off my college years in Boone. does also seemed to be huge. I attributed it to adaptations of the deer, since they had to survive a harsh winter.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Northern piedmont.
Rockingham, Stokes, Person, Caswell and Granville county.
Big Horns and Big body deer.

drhunter1

Four Pointer
^^^^I would have to agree with Badlandbucks. BUT, I have to say I've seen some big bodied deer around the house the last few years. The place I hunt (Rutherford County) seems to have some smaller bodied deer for some reason. I'm thinking they were imported from different regions.

Last edited:

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Northern piedmont.
Rockingham, Stokes, Person, Caswell and Granville county.
Big Horns and Big body deer.

This^ These areas tend to have the biggest deer in the state from what I've noticed. I'm sure it has something to do with the ag industry there.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
This^ These areas tend to have the biggest deer in the state from what I've noticed. I'm sure it has something to do with the ag industry there.

add Alamance(Northern ...above 85/40) to that. Got 3 deer over 200 there. last big one went 202...........

Last edited:

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Have shot 2 over 200 in davidson. But the biggest deer I've seen have been in Guilford, Alamance, Wake and Chatham Counties. Also Stokes and Surry has some big bodied deer.

zjohn14

Four Pointer
Avery county highest county east of Mississippi it's already snowed here I took a 3yr old 8p weighed 225 after gutting it last November

mbh78

Ten Pointer
Contributor
NW Mountain region. Ashe, Alleghany, Wilkes, Watauga, etc.

On average, I will agree with this. I have hunted several different areas of the state, some with plenty of food and big-antlered bucks (Northampton, Herfford, Gates). I have seen some big bodied deer from those areas, but nothing like what I have seen come from the northwestern counties. I would say that of this area, Ashe has the largest avg. body size for mature bucks.

ditchbank

Banned
That's a live weight of around 285 lbs...

Some guys won the pollocksville tourny a few years back brought in a deer that weighed 218 gutted. Some of you may remember that one. They claim they killed it in croatan national forrest. I call BS

zjohn14

Four Pointer
uploadfromtaptalk1413908057149.jpg
epyduzaq.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1413908125559.jpguploadfromtaptalk1413908224706.jpguploadfromtaptalk1413908267268.jpguploadfromtaptalk1413908331093.jpg

zjohn14

Four Pointer
The mtns produce some very big deer however the biggest of biggest bucks are prob never seen by human eyes you gotta understand how steep, thick, an knurly it is up here there are many places I can't reach even on foot it's use less. Every yr I'm after a big buck an every yr I get out smarter unless I get lucky but I was after a big 6 by 6 an this deer stayed beded on top the thickest steepest ridge over 5,000 ft in elevation an he could hear anything coming a mile away. Not even talking about places no man has ever step ft on before. Some biggest deer in the state die of old age imo. The deer up north have to have a lot of body fat to survive winters an I can promise I've lived across the state an it is a different type of cold in Avery c county or boone mt Mitchell. Mtns above 4,500ft sea level have already seen snow this yr an it's 20 degree colder here yr around compared to any where else. We don't have as many deer or maybe not biggest racked deer but we have 250lb + bucks for sure

zjohn14

Four Pointer
I'm 6'2 210 an you can see the deer I shot cpl yr ago weighed that easily. An was estimated to be 3.5yr old an out of all those pics I think the oldest is only 4yrs but share some pics I'd love to see other bucks across my home state

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I know Wilkes county produces Big horns and big body deer too , but I have yet to see any BIG horns coming from those other mountain counties. Consistently speaking every year...those Northern Piedmont counties is where you want to go for the best chance of a monster buck .

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
BS without pics :) so some on here would say ....but I believe you. I have seen 200 pound deer come from Northampton county, Harnett county, Moore County, Chatham county, Lee county, Wayne county and Montgomery county. I think almost any county west of the atlantic ocean can produce 200 pound deer with the right age and groceries. Those northern piedmont counties seem to produce more of them is all. From my experience.

zjohn14

Four Pointer
Holy hell I'm so pumped the deer I've been after past 2yrs just showed up on one my cams he is a 4.5yr 10p check out the buck we call niner
2e24a267fc7866f85afa64f9cd272e5d.jpg

240cf211c295bdc118f86b5ab2ee2b7b.jpg
him at ,3.5yr old
adaddd308e2f0ca6f436ffdba81cd31c.jpg
2.5yr
Everybody wish me luck tmrw high is only 15 an low is 6 going try to sit all day I hope lol

T.G.

Eight Pointer
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416548123.139932.jpg
Got this one last year and it weighed 224 pounds after gutting it guilford county

Last edited: