What makes you happy?

ncsuchef

My favorite thing to do is cook informally with friends. Friends that may as well be family.

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
One of my favorite things to do to get mind off things. Grab 3 fingers of scotch neat, a good cigar, my fly tying vise, and some materials. Sit on the back porch in peace and quiet and whip up some fish food.
I also find great joy in detailing my truck inside and out.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
I don't get a chance to do much flying anymore, my all time favorite thing to do. I find just being outdoors varmint hunting and as much as anything just watching all the animals and observing their actions. I can do a lot of thinking and planning while enjoying the views.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sometimes frustrating and enjoyable at once, I get lost in my traditional archery passion. Evenings on my backyard range, relaxing with a bow and a beer, I really notice the woods around me and the natural beauty of small things out there. Building the majority of my own archery gear keeps me occupied and lets me relax at the same time. If I see a piece of gear that I like, need, or want I can usually fab it myself. It's really satisfying, calming to me...

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Right now as busy as I am, just finding a few minutes for some "down time," makes me happy.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Happiness is easier to find when you dont look for what makes you happy, rather, eliminate what makes you unhappy.

It's also extremely subjective. I was never happy until I took on the "it could be worse attitude". Now I just look at the positive in all that I do.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
Flyfishing is pretty good when I'm troubled about something or stressed. One thing that produces a deeper joy is to help someone else in need. I think we all have experience that wholeness from meeting a need for someone else that couldn't do it for themselves. As a practical matter it really works.
^ Beat me to it. Especially kids and the elderly. Sometimes it's the simplest things ... that are no big deal to YOU .. but means a lot to them.

Last edited:

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I love to piddle!!:)

Spent part of today putting new lines on a few spinning reels........really is great fun!:p

Going out in the yard and trying to improve accuracy & distance with a couple of casting rods.:mad:

I like to rearrange my tackle box even if I haven't used it since the last time I rearranged it!!:rolleyes:

I like to go to the gun safe, take them out, and remember different hunting & shooting experiences with them.

Take inventory of ammo for the umpteenth time!

Look at knife collections and re-hone those that I use.

Did I mention re-rigging some spinning reels??

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I love it in the early Spring sitting on the back porch at night and listening to the first spring peepers. Shortly after they start, it will not be long and the whip-poor-wills start in as well. Not a prettier sound anywhere.

Otherwise, I try to remember this -

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Last edited:

Briargoat

Ten Pointer
True happiness involves finding peace within yourself. Hobbies and activities are important but at the end of the day you have to be happy just being you. This can be a lifelong pursuit and involve a ton of soul searching. That's part of the reason I hunt. Plenty of time to be alone and think about life.

tmcullen

After the loss of your husband and all the struggles leading up yo it you might find that just staying busy helps a lot. Just simple things, nothing that may lead to more stress. Spend quiet time with your dogs and horses( i think I remember you have horses). Do silly things with the kids that make them laugh. It's infectious so you'll be laughing too! I had a couple of years of bad things happening one right after another and Simple things and staying busy helped. Much like you I had no control over any of the issues either. I also tried to find humor in as much of it as I could. Talked to a counselor and she told me that I was doing things right but it would take time to get where I wanted to be. I even had her tell me she couldn't believe how well I was doing considering everything that happened. Just keep trying to move forward and at some point things will slowly get better. If you need a sympathetic ear or someone to vent to I'd be happy to talk with you and share my expe
riences. Send a PM and I'll get you my number.

Hank

Old Mossy Horns
I also, as someone mentioned earlier, enjoy cleaning vehicles up. I like seeing a clean ride.
When drag racing season is in, nothing sounds better to me than a high compression engine with a crazy high lift on a camshaft. Doing a burnout is one of the most fun things to do.
During deer season it is sitting in a deer stand on one of those days when the weather is perfect, I am sure y'all know what I mean.
Watching my son enjoy himself and do well on the golf course.
I just spent over 2 hours with my daughter running errands to get ready to head to the deer land tomorrow, I enjoyed that time with just her.
Though we do not get to do it enough, I always have a great time spending one on one time with my wife.

I sold the doors off of my race car a couple of years ago to a fella in Maryland. We meet at Richmond Dragway. My wife and I took that road trip up there together, and I really enjoyed that time with her, just us talking and nothing more to do than drive. We had children at a fairly young age (21), so less than a year after we were married we were tending to our first child, so time alone with each other is few and far between.

VikingsFan8178

volunteer your time to help someone or something (animal shelter, etc.) in need

poppop

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
just going out to my shop/man cave and finding something to tinker with....its amazing at how quick time goes by when I do that.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Wind chill on my Ultra Classic. River gurgling near the porch of a rental cabin on the Nantahala River. Seafood boil on the grill. Cold beverage of choice. Small fire ring adding to the other sounds. That would be one afternoon/evening 3.5 hours from central NC, I like calling North Carolina home.

Last edited:

stingray

being a pancreatic cancer survivor, it's easy. just waking up, taking a breath, seeing the sunrise again. Or a good nights sleep, seeing my daughter for another day..But what really gets me going is taking my old mustang for a drive...with my daughter, to DQ. Get a kick out of a lot of the posts on here too!!

NCdoe

Ten Pointer
Windrunner: You have been thru so much in just a short while. You life has taken a different turn. You might be struggling with some things and your life might be a little down right now as you said, but I think all of us have seen the wonderful, upbeat, positive, fun loving personality that you portray. Just take one day at a time and soon happiness will return. And I might add.....different things make different people happy. True happiness comes from within. In the mean time, if you need to talk or I can help, pm me with your phone number and I'll give you a call.

Trophybucks

Love spending time with my Dad....at some point between 30 and 40 he became the smartest man I know.

love spending time with my friends. I have some great friends, the kind that wont let you down and will do anything they can to help you, We had a large cookout at the house this evening complete with a couple wild hogs and I sat there watching 30 of my friends making new friends and laughing, all having a great time and realized how blessed I am. Some of those boys I have know 30+ years, some for 3 years but I can count on all of them.

Spending time with my nieces. We don't have kids and those two little angels are special. 5 and 8. they love their uncle and he loves them.

As I read this I think about all the many things God has blessed me with that makes me happy and I realize that none of the material stuff matters that much. Its the relationships with the people I love that really matters.

Windrunner, God loves you if no one else on earth does and If you have others whether its family or friends that love you as well then concentrate and think on them. Stuff comes and goes in life but if your going to be happy it will revolve around your relationships.

2duckdawg

My six year old when she is watching a Disney movie or nat geo wild with her big smiling face.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
In no real order:

Being Down East at Harkers Island

Riding my motorcycle

Fishing/Hunting

Road trips

Shooting sports

Offroading ATV or my old Jeep

Tinkering with something

Seeing Cape Lookout Lighthouse to my left and sunsets like these 7 nights in a row does wonders for my sanity.

<>< Fish

facebook_-31675258jpg_zps495569e7.jpg

05092013715_zps6ca9e6fc.jpg

IMGP0531.jpg

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Projects or just tinkering on stuff. Just stopping and enjoying what is around from being alone to time with friends. Spending time with my dogs seem to always brighten the day.

Bigtime

I like hanging out with other folks and shooting my guns, it relaxes me. I'm not one of those people that likes being alone. I've driven to the store just to talk to someone. As pathetic as it may sound, it makes me happy!!

Last edited:

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
In no real order:

Being Down East at Harkers Island

Riding my motorcycle

Fishing/Hunting

Road trips

Shooting sports

Offroading ATV or my old Jeep

Tinkering with something

Seeing Cape Lookout Lighthouse to my left and sunsets like these 7 nights in a row does wonders for my sanity.

<>< Fish

facebook_-31675258jpg_zps495569e7.jpg

05092013715_zps6ca9e6fc.jpg

IMGP0531.jpg

Where were you staying buddy---you were right down the island from us.

Paper

I'm currently struggling with some things that are beyond my control and I've been a little down. In talking with a good friend, he advised me to find something that would make me happy and do it. That just being able to want one thing and getting it would make the day a little brighter. Pretty solid advice, imo, but right now I can't think of anything that I want.

So other than hunting or fishing, what's something you do for yourself that makes you happy?

Aside for hearing my daughter laugh, something that makes me happy is going out of my way to make someone laugh or smile. I don't know why, but it gives me a good feeling inside.