What it was, was hockey.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
The wife and I were just talking after being prompted by the MLB thread about major league sports and surmised that maybe hockey was becoming a major league sport in the south now. Our talking led to the agreement that neither of us understood the game (not the game's fault) but that it was so fast moving that neither of us could keep up with the puck. i have trouble seeing larger things moving slower sometimes. But I began to wonder. What would Andy say about it. He helped me understand football and I wish I had thought of this earlier so I could have asked him to explain hockey for me. What would that puck be.............. a burned up biscuit?

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Watch the Mighty Ducks, it taught my generation hockey 😁 honestly the rules were not really in the movie series. I read the Matt Christopher books growing up, the hockey ones were my favorite. Pretty sure I learned most of the rules from there.

Eubanks01

Eight Pointer
My son is really big into hockey. I have become a big Hurricanes fan. I still do not understand everything about the game. I recommend going to a game when you can.

maelstrom

Four Pointer
The wife and i started watching hockey after all the other pro sports started kneeling BS. We both love it now, huge Hurricanes fans, we even signed up for NHL package on cable. I still don’t understand all the rules but will say that it gets much easier to understand and follow the more games you watch. Also reading up on the rules helps too.

Jake NFC

Twelve Pointer
It’s an awesome game! Played as a kid through high school then in an adult league in Winston and Greensboro up until 2 years ago. Not sure where you live but Winston and Fayetteville both have Single A minor league team. It’s affordable to go and always see a fight or two.

This is a video of a coach in the Federal Hockey League ( Winston team is in this league) telling his players there will be no kneeling!

Last edited:

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
My son is really big into hockey. I have become a big Hurricanes fan. I still do not understand everything about the game. I recommend going to a game when you can.
I liked them better when they sucked. Tickets were cheap and no crowds 😁 If you can figure out what’s going on, that’s the most audience fun you can have in sports. Football and baseball fans don’t hold a candle to a stadium full of angry(or happy) hockey fans.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
i don't watch much sports, but when i do its hockey or rugby
both fast paced games, more guts than glory and not a game for pansies.
We'll start with Penguins defenceman Ian Cole. The 28-year-old played just over 18 minutes a game for his team, and he did so with a broken hand and broken ribs since early in the Capitals series (second round).
Bonino somehow played another 11:52 on a broken tibia.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I hope no one has misunderstood me here. I'm certainly not downplaying hockey by any means. I know many enjoy it immensely and I'm glad that they have something to enjoy in sports today. It's just not for me. And certainly not to attend a game. I think the last pro game of anything I attended was back in the 80s and the largest gathering I have attended in years is the annual Get To Gether. Just that I had always enjoyed Andy's bit on football and wondered how he would approach hockey. I think he may had been taken aback a moment just by the name back then.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I hope no one has misunderstood me here. I'm certainly not downplaying hockey by any means. I know many enjoy it immensely and I'm glad that they have something to enjoy in sports today. It's just not for me. And certainly not to attend a game. I think the last pro game of anything I attended was back in the 80s and the largest gathering I have attended in years is the annual Get To Gether. Just that I had always enjoyed Andy's bit on football and wondered how he would approach hockey. I think he may had been taken aback a moment just by the name back then.
"I bought my popcorn and my orange drink and the crowd rushed me in there, and there was a boxing match going on over a frozen pond, and then they picked up sticks and started whacking a tuna can back and forth."

Maybe how a French-Canadian Andy would have explained it? BTW, Slapshot, starring Paul Newman, is a classic, really funny.

Otherwise, not that different than most sports. Put the projectile into the net, with a few rules designed to make scoring something of a challenge from a skill standpoint (offsides, icing.)

It is still a sport that requires men to be men.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
It’s an awesome game! Played as a kid through high school then in an adult league in Winston and Greensboro up until 2 years ago. Not sure where you live but Winston and Fayetteville both have Single A minor league team. It’s affordable to go and always see a fight or two.

This is a video of a coach in the Federal Hockey League ( Winston team is in this league) telling his players there will be no kneeling!

My brother reffed a game or two for that league (in the Midwest.) He said it was one of those that you had to demand payment before you dropped the puck for the 3rd period.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I played recreational (beer league) and a lot of pick up hockey from age 35 until until I got injured in a vehicle wreck at 47 years old. Hockey is more fun to play than it is to watch, and I love watching hockey. You also need to be able to throw and take a punch, because it happens. We had some minor league guys show up to play pickup and their skills were very impressive. Had a former Hurricane (Martin Gelinas) show up for inline pickup and that dude skated like the wind and could score at will from just about anywhere. He made us look like the rank amateurs we were. Playing against more skilled players only improves you game.

Soccer players act like they been shot if they get tripped. They flop and wallow around like they're going to die...until the ref calls a penalty on the other side, then they're fine. It pretty much takes a major injury to make you miss a shift in hockey.

Jim