What is your preferred pork rub?

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I'm sure all listed are great. I know this because I've tried 87 different kinds and all of them were great. Last one I did was just salt and pepper. Then added some brown sugar at the end. It was great too.

I've also found the best way to eat is to stand around it after it rests and just pick it apart and toss in the ole pie hole.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
have not done even a shoulder yet myself, but have tried a mess of pork off the smoker.

the whole vinegar sauce has grown slightly on me but I really have a hard time telling the difference on MOST offerings. But I have noticed a big difference with pork that has had a rub and one that has not. Rubbed pork is better. Scotty is just flat out wrong...🤣😛
not a fan of chopped unless care has been taken to just chop meat. most don't care and you get bone and gristle which is a big turnoff. I prefer to RIP it right off myself.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
have not done even a shoulder yet myself, but have tried a mess of pork off the smoker.

the whole vinegar sauce has grown slightly on me but I really have a hard time telling the difference on MOST offerings. But I have noticed a big difference with pork that has had a rub and one that has not. Rubbed pork is better. Scotty is just flat out wrong...🤣😛
not a fan of chopped unless care has been taken to just chop meat. most don't care and you get bone and gristle which is a big turnoff. I prefer to RIP it right off myself.

I don't chop, I let it cool and pick the gristle out. After that I put on a set of gloves and shred the meat and sauce it to taste. I agree that gristle makes great meat horrible.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don’t use the same rub on everything, but Butt Rub is a good all rounder for everything not fish or cow imo.

My personal rub is heavy to S&P, with paprika, garlic, onion, and chipotle.

Ribs(pork) need sugar.
Kicking this thread back up....

I just pulled another butt off. After smoking several more butts and ribs over the past year, I prefer to keep the brown sugar rubs for the ribs. For butts I like salt, pepper, onion, garlic, chipotle. That's basically what's in Byron's Butt Rub. Except rubs cost too much money for what they are. I'd rather make up my own with bulk components.

@ QBD2, Do you have a recipe for those components, you wouldn't mind sharing?

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns

I just pulled another butt off. After smoking several more butts and ribs over the past year, I prefer to keep the brown sugar rubs for the ribs. For butts I like salt, pepper, onion, garlic, chipotle. That's basically what's in Byron's Butt Rub. Except rubs cost too much money for what they are. I'd rather make up my own with bulk components.

Where you get bulk chipotle spice ? Never seen it.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Not bulk but you can buy a 2.5 oz bottle of Great Value chipotle powder at Walmart for $1.94. But I would try woodmoose's suggestion if you are near a hispanic grocery store.

C52

Eight Pointer
Never chopped
Never drowned
Rare steaks
No A1
You do yours your way…. I’ll do mine my way…. I ain’t got to please nobody but me!
I’m sure yours is mighty good too…. I just ain’t going to talk smack about yours…. Never had it….but I am willing to travel!!
Never had but willing to travel. Best thing I’ve read in awhile.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns

I had it wrote down somewhere at one time, but try a cup of coarse kosher, 1/2 to 2/3 of coarse black pepper(to taste basically), a 1/4 of the paprika garlic onion, and 1/8 chipotle.

I’ve honestly gone hard over to almost straight salt and pepper at 50/50. Simple, it fits my style of cooking, and lets the pit shine.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Redmond, the same company that produces the Trophy Rock and many agricultural salt-based products, also produces and markets salt products for human consumption, and I've been using several of them for a few years now. Their seasoned salt has become my go-to as a base for most things; ribs, butts, wings, etc. Here's a link if it works: https://redmond.life/products/real-salt-organic-season-salt-8-25-oz?variant=18566798082115
It's similar to most others - but I kinda get a kick out of eating the same stuff I'm giving the deer. :p

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I had it wrote down somewhere at one time, but try a cup of coarse kosher, 1/2 to 2/3 of coarse black pepper(to taste basically), a 1/4 of the paprika garlic onion, and 1/8 chipotle.

I’ve honestly gone hard over to almost straight salt and pepper at 50/50. Simple, it fits my style of cooking, and lets the pit shine.
Unpopular opinion….. it ain’t all about the 💨. Some of us like other flavors other than smoke and meat 😁…. Colonial Europeans didn’t conquer half the world for hickory, oak, fruit wood and religious freedom 😂

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
my recipe

1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup Bourbon Barrel smoked paprika
1 Tablespoon Bourbon Barrel smoked black pepper
1 Tablespoon Bourbon Barrel smoked sea salt
1 Tablespoon Bourbon Barrel smoked chili powder
1 Tablespoon garlic powder
1 Tablespoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

You don’t have to use the Bourbon Barrel smoked ingredients I like because it because the spices have been smoked and adds to the flavor.

I’ll mop it sometimes with a mixture of vinegar, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, butter and lard