What is your preferred pork rub?

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Smoked a butt last week, and I'm doing pork ribs tomorrow. I don't have a pork rub that is my go to. I've tried different ones - some have more sugar, others are more salt/pepper/garlic.

Do you have a favorite? Is it store-bought or homemade? Do you use the same one for pulled pork as ribs, chops, or tenderloin?

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Standard dry rub, enough for a butt or 2-3 racks

Dry Rub
8 tablespoons light brown sugar
3 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon thyme (crushed)
1/2 teaspoon onion powder

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
I like Salt and Pepper and Smoke. It's great for pork, beef, chicken, turkey, venison, gator, fish, dragon, unicorn, boot leather.....you name it. It's undefeated. Use quality salt and quality, freshly ground, black pepper.

funny, but when I’m going simple I never use pepper. not sure why.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I don’t use the same rub on everything, but Butt Rub is a good all rounder for everything not fish or cow imo.

My personal rub is heavy to S&P, with paprika, garlic, onion, and chipotle.

Ribs(pork) need sugar.

Last edited:

ThrillofDaChase

Ten Pointer
For ribs I do:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne (I usually do little more cayenne)

Sweet with some underlying heat. Spritz with apple juice throughout the cook.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
For butts I use Jamaican Jerk spice. The dry rub stuff. McCormick's makes it cheaper than I can. Nice and spicy.
Ribs get the sugary bbq rub stuff.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Spg is king. Tony C’s adds a nice kick. A pinch of cumin adds depth to any rub that doesn’t already have it. Malcom Reed has a good line but his The BBQ Rub has very little flavor to me. It will put a beautiful color on a rack of ribs though.

Sugar in rub doesn’t do anything for me except burn (not blacken as a bark) bc I can’t make my smoker run consistently below 265.

Ho ace

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Cheerwine injection and salt rub night before. Remove salt before cook and and spritz with Cheerwine every hour. Finish with Cheerwine sauce concoction.

Infamous1

Eight Pointer
Jim's has a nice lineup of great rubs!! Picked up some from food lion and I think they are my all around favorites. Says they are an NC company too!!

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
You chop it up and drown it don’tcha?

Probably like your steaks well done and $6/lb deer burgers with A1?!?:stir:

I like sauce on bbq and rare steaks.

Grew up eating it that way, and don't have a smoker so I prefer sauce. I do however love eating it when it comes right out the oven with no sauce. Just doesn't taste the same once it's been in the fridge.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You chop it up and drown it don’tcha?

Probably like your steaks well done and $6/lb deer burgers with A1?!?:stir:
Never chopped
Never drowned
Rare steaks
No A1
You do yours your way…. I’ll do mine my way…. I ain’t got to please nobody but me!
I’m sure yours is mighty good too…. I just ain’t going to talk smack about yours…. Never had it….but I am willing to travel!!

v8stang289

Twelve Pointer
This is a rub recipe me and my buddy came up with several years ago. It works good on all types of pork and chicken recipes. The last couple of years I've added some of the flat iron pepper "dark and smoky rub" or "sweet heat red peppers" as it adds a good amount of heat and a slightly different flavor. I cant tell enough of a difference with the coriander so I don't use it.
this recipe makes a good amount, but it can be scaled down if you keep the ratios the same.
Snapchat-1598887461.jpg
Snapchat-47925765.jpg

JSM1986

Button Buck
Check out amazingribs .com. They have a ton of recipies. Heres a link to my favorite rub.

SASSshooter

Button Buck
Smoked a butt last week, and I'm doing pork ribs tomorrow. I don't have a pork rub that is my go to. I've tried different ones - some have more sugar, others are more salt/pepper/garlic.

Do you have a favorite? Is it store-bought or homemade? Do you use the same one for pulled pork as ribs, chops, or tenderloin?
I use a variety of rubs when smoking, however I typically soak all my butts in about 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/3 cup apple juice, and 1/4 tsp baking soda, added to as much water as needed to cover for about 30 mins. Then rinse lightly before the rub. Hydrated meat absorbs the flavors better in my opinion.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I usually use just salt and pepper. Sometimes I'll keep and dry coffee grinds for a few days before a smoke, and add those.