What is your best group at 100yds with

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
A 10x scope or less power. Don’t tell stories. 12x 14x 24x power scopes not included! Hah
Can’t decide if it’s the gun or me.
Savage 10 .223 med. contour barrel
1” group was 77gn smk black hills
1.25” group is Barnes TSX 62gn hand load 2.3coal 22gn AR-comp. random brass not re sized or trimmed.
This is the rifle I have bedded the lug and spray painted. Leupold 9x scope.

I would like to talk to a gun smith about the what I think is carbon build up in the muzzle end about an eighth into the barrel. Maybe not, I need a smiths opinion.
Maybe more power on the scope since the hair is covering the 1” center pretty good on 9x.
Or should I work on a really good hand load.

Or is this normal for a 9x scoped rifle. Anyone have real .5” MOA out of a 9x powered scope on a rifle? Not that the rifle isn’t but can you shoot that good?

944cd5fb389e6a1ff0e035c2d4a32b38.jpg
1197e78d0c62606d91ef5a948b6f74ed.jpg

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Work on your handloads!..also shoot at a larger SQUARE bull, and try 4198 powder or h322 or 335 AND join www.handloadersbench.com and www.accurateshooter.com for some great help...ask for someone with your exact rifle and save yourself tons of time and supplies.
About 1988 or '90, in my competition days with a factory Wood stock (re-bedded) Rem 700, .222 Rem, 10x Weaver, Std barrel, Kenyon trigger, at 100 yds off sand bags, 5 shots.

Attachments

• 5 shots-222 rem.jpg
    5 shots-222 rem.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 41

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
...also, read the books by G. David Tubb and learn how to breath, form, squeeze, etc.

The above group was shot with 19.5 gr IMR4198 and a Sierra 52gr BTHP and that load won many a trophy for me.

Last edited:

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
...also, read the books by G. David Tubb and learn how to breath, form, squeeze, etc.

The above group was shot with 19.5 gr IMR4198 and a Sierra 52gr BTHP and that load won many a trophy for me.

Most folks don't know the "Triple Deuce" held most benchrest records from 1950 when it was introduced, until the mid 70's when the 6mm PPC was designed by Palmisano and Pindell.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns

Most folks don't know the "Triple Deuce" held most benchrest records from 1950 when it was introduced, until the mid 70's when the 6mm PPC was designed by Palmisano and Pindell.

The more I read on the www I can’t wrap my head around all the cartridges people shoot in competition. Especially how much time they put into the one. Loading building guns etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
indeed Hamilton, and I NEVER turned case necks like some guys
I only shot a few groups THAT small over the 10 yrs I shot benchrest, most were bout twice as big..like a clover leaf, still 1 hole, just more jagged.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Most every rifle I have will shoot 3 shot groups of less than 1" @ 100yds and only one has a scope with more than 10 power.

Now, can I do it everytime I shoot? No, I don't shoot much at all anymore.
I say work on your handloads and it should brings your groups in more.

I don't reload them but everything I have read about Barnes bullets is unlike most bullets they like some jump before the lands so you may be able to seat them a little deeper and improve accuracy.
sent from...... Tapatalk

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
.264 Win Mag, custom with top grade Shilen barrel and Jewel trigger. Built on CZ 24 Mauser action.
7 shots in one ragged hole at 200 yards with Leupold 24x .
That was using the same case reloaded each time. I have the target somewhere and doubt I could duplicate it now, but the rifle could.

Savage.jpg

This is my Savage 10-FCP-SR (.308). I've got a SS SWFA fixed 10x on it & she shoots ragged holes at 100 with whatever ammo I put through it. I have it zeroed with Nosler trophy grade 165gr's, but I'll run 147gr surplus ammo through & all that changes is my POI slightly, but still sub MOA. I'm a firm believer in Savage rifles being sub MOA out the box. This is one of the earlier versions of the FCP-SR before they switched up the stock & magazine... If you're not sub MOA at 100 then get a led sled and find out if it is you or the rifle OR you may want to consider a better stock and have it bedded by a gunsmith.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Unless it’s a lever gun any rifle that I can’t get to group under an inch won’t be here long. It may be as simple as swaping/developing your load, I have a custom 308 that will not shoot any factory ammo under an inch but will group handloads @ .3moa

CBD21

Eight Pointer
@CDB21 loaded up some 100gr sierra game kings for me. This is my Ruger M77 6mm Rem. Run of the mill older model 3x9x40 Nikon. View attachment 23350
I get lucky sometimes @darkthirty haha I’ve got several in the .5’s sometimes better for me and a couple buddies. I normally call .5 good My tikka t3x .300wsm stays around there and I had a Remington sendero sfll .300wm that stayed in the .4’s. Like Travis said other than lever guns if I can’t get my stuff under an inch at 100yds it doesn’t stay in the safe long including AR’s.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A 10x scope or less power. Don’t tell stories. 12x 14x 24x power scopes not included! Hah
Can’t decide if it’s the gun or me.
Savage 10 .223 med. contour barrel
1” group was 77gn smk black hills
1.25” group is Barnes TSX 62gn hand load 2.3coal 22gn AR-comp. random brass not re sized or trimmed.
This is the rifle I have bedded the lug and spray painted. Leupold 9x scope.

I would like to talk to a gun smith about the what I think is carbon build up in the muzzle end about an eighth into the barrel. Maybe not, I need a smiths opinion.
Maybe more power on the scope since the hair is covering the 1” center pretty good on 9x.
Or should I work on a really good hand load.

Or is this normal for a 9x scoped rifle. Anyone have real .5” MOA out of a 9x powered scope on a rifle? Not that the rifle isn’t but can you shoot that good?

944cd5fb389e6a1ff0e035c2d4a32b38.jpg
1197e78d0c62606d91ef5a948b6f74ed.jpg

Just a couple of observations if you don't mind.
For .223, bullet weight and barrel twist go hand in hand. Start with known bullet weights that work well with the twist rate of your barrel.
Reloading pretty much any metallic cartridge requires at least some sizing. I recommend doing whatever is necessary to get each case as close to the others in all aspects prior to loading them.
If you suspect any internal issue (s) with the barrel, I doubt you will see much improvement until that is taken care of.
In my experience, I find using the lowest setting needed to get on target provides the best groups, which usually falls in the 3 to 5 power range. Some conditions require using the upper levels of magnification, but not usually 100 yard paper punching; ie: match your scope setting to target requirement.
Use a good rest and try to eliminate as many variables as possible to be sure if the issue is the rifle or the one behind it.
Good luck

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
One of my best shooting rifles is my newly rebarreled ULA in .243Win. Pictured below is a 5 shot 100 yard group shot at a 1" bullseye. The stray shot was the first shot before making a scope adjustment. Amazing (to me) is the fact that this group was shot with factory Federal Fusion ammo. The scope is an older Zeiss 3-9x36.

<>< Fish

CA071hd.jpg

rangerxp

Eight Pointer
Ruger M77 stainless skeleton stock 270 with Zeiss 2.5-10x48 at 100 yards resting on sandbag .
6 shots all holes touching and could cover with a quarter. Factory Federal Premium ammo.
many years ago with better eyes and hands
Rifle would regularly group 3 shots inside a fifty cent piece at 100 yards.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
At 100 yards my 308 with a 2-7x scope (set to 7) will shoot tighter groups than my 270 with a 3.5-10x (set to 10). But I couldn’t say if that’s a factor of the scope, the rifle, or my handloads.

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
Most every rifle I have will shoot 3 shot groups of less than 1" @ 100yds and only one has a scope with more than 10 power.

This was true with my wife's Savage 10 in 243 with a Bushnell scope (at the time) and off the shelf ammo. Gracious, was I impressed with that rifle.

krausegd

Spike
Today at the foothill shooting complex.
howa 1500 20" heavy in 308. Luepold vx2 4x-12x ( I know not 10 or under)
ebay bipod on incredibly flexible hogue stock and a janky sandbag I found laying around at the range. The bipod was pushing the stock into the barrel…the stock, well stock is so bad it's comical.

100 yards, 3 shots each.
Sub MOA with cheap 150gr hunting federal and a .5 with 168gr gold medal.

For fun I hit 1.3 inches at 200 yards with 165 hornady whitetail ammo (which I found surprising)

To answer your question…ammo is such a huge variable, but there are sooo many like shooter, barrel, trigger, twist rate, it's almost impossible to say. A previous person mentioned a sled to see if you're playing a large part in the process.

Attachments

• IMG_3017-1.jpeg
    IMG_3017-1.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
What type of rests do you guys use? I know one person mentioned sand bags, and the pic above looks be a bi pod. I would be interested to see ya'lls setups!

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'll have to dig out my old targets. My H&R 45/70, a Nikon Monarch 2-7x33 scope, a max load of RL7 under a 300 gr Remington hp shot a perfect Mickey Mouse silhouette.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
What type of rests do you guys use? I know one person mentioned sand bags, and the pic above looks be a bi pod. I would be interested to see ya'lls setups!

I prefer to shoot off “shooting” bags filled with sand, prone position. Off a yoga mat.

Box stands usually have a crown bag full of sand.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I've got bags and a sled. The sled is only used when I'm trying to get someone else's "big" gun sighted close for them. You might be surprised how many folks will tell me they need to check their rifle. Got a friend coming over right now to check his .30-06 because he missed one at 150 yds. yesterday. I'll bet he hasn't shot the rifle 5 times since last season and probably has changed ammo. We'll see.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns

Bi-pod and rear sand bag, front and rear bags and very seldom machine front rest with rear bag.

<>< Fish

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Found out why he missed the deer. It shot 10" left and a foot high. He couldn't understand why when the last time he shot it, at the end of the season last year, it was "on". Did I mention that it gets banged around in a 4 wheeler rack all season. Is an older Simmons. I got it back close and will get it from him after the season goes out and try to get it right. First thing will be a good cleaning. My guess is the barrel is heavily copper fouled.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Found out why he missed the deer. It shot 10" left and a foot high. He couldn't understand why when the last time he shot it, at the end of the season last year, it was "on". Did I mention that it gets banged around in a 4 wheeler rack all season. Is an older Simmons. I got it back close and will get it from him after the season goes out and try to get it right. First thing will be a good cleaning. My guess is the barrel is heavily copper fouled.

Probably needs better rings/mounts too if it was that off from 4 wheeler rides...... half the guys I know that have problems with guns being off are from using cheap aluminum rings/mounts that won’t hold zero with recoil or jarring.........rest are usually a mix of really dirty guns or cheap busted scopes.