What is your “Holy Grail” firearm?

klim

Twelve Pointer
Model 70 Winchester Sporter 264 win mag with a boss.
Browning Bar 270 win
Browning A5 12 gauge 3 inch 30 inch full choke or the “buck special model”

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
For you guys wanting a browning 3” gun....there was a browning 2000 down in Wagram for sale with a 30” full choke barrel. Not an A5.....but anyone that has shot them will tell you they are one of the best pointing shotguns ever made in the Auto variety. Keep the gas system clean and they are as reliable as you will find. Also 1/3 of the price as an A5.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
SVD Dragunov 7.62x54R sniper rifle, complete with appropriate scope.
I know a fellow that has one. Looked at it, held it several minutes. He never offered to let me shoot it, I didn't ask. He said it wasn't for sale.... "at any price". I believe him, money isn't a thing he's short on... lol

I passed on purchasing an NDM-86 two years ago because I would like to have the 7.62x54 model.

Thomas270

Ten Pointer
Colt sauer .243 like my dad had when he was single, no kids, plenty of money! He would trade guns a lot back in the day, just wish he would have kept that one.

Jdaddyrox

Spike
a vierling in 22 Hi-power (5.6×52mmR) and 12 gauge,,,,

four-barrelled-01-hero-uai-1440x525.jpg

four-barrelled-01-04.jpg

I mean if we are dreaming and all that,,,,,,,,

Is that thing from the future? Must be heavy. What’s the price tag on something like that? My guess is over 40k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I drooled over Colt Pythons back in the day. Did without some stuff I probably shouldn’t have to buy one and I bet I haven’t shot it 250 times.

Don’t get me wrong it is a beautiful gun and won’t be sold in my lifetime but when I finally got it, shot it, I will say I was just a little disappointed. It really didn’t shoot one bit better than the service revolver I carried every day at the time.

Thanks for this. I need reminding sometimes that just because I want something real badly it doesn't mean I will love it if I get it. A friend of mine traded off his old Python which I had told him I would buy if he ever wanted to sell. It's bothered me a lot since then- I need to let go of that.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Is that thing from the future? Must be heavy. What’s the price tag on something like that? My guess is over 40k.

nope, from the past (and present)

Keep in mind that the Germans (where most of these derived from) are at heart, engineers
Hunting in Europe is a different thing, and many folks are multi-game hunters, at the same time (I am of that ilk), especially the gamekeepers
that means you need to have one gun that enables you to shoot big game and game birds at the same time

and voila - Savage 24s, Drillings, veirlings, and other "combination guns" were developed,,

yes, they tend to cost as they have a lot of hand craftsmanship in them - especially that one - some are cheaper,,,,why my only combo gun currently is a model 24
yes, they are heavier than say a single barrel single shot - only men need apply,,,, :mosh:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
The .338 Marlin Express, I love mine.
I am a Marlin lever nut, too though. I kind of always wanted a semi-auto .50 BMG, just because.

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
My holy grail would be a complete battery:

FN Mauser, .375 H&H

Purdey, 12 & 20 SxS matching pair

Walther kkj .22lr

Throw in a custom 1911 .45 for good measure

That should do it.

Jdaddyrox

Spike
Thanks for this. I need reminding sometimes that just because I want something real badly it doesn't mean I will love it if I get it. A friend of mine traded off his old Python which I had told him I would buy if he ever wanted to sell. It's bothered me a lot since then- I need to let go of that.

I have a friend who did the same to me only it was with a valuable old case knife. If someone doesn’t keep their word then they’re probably your friend for the wrong reasons. It’s taken me a long time to face that truth but that’s just the way it is.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Blaser F3 with 30” barrels with 12, 20, 28 and 410 4 barrel set.
I keep telling my wife it’s make a fine present but she must think I’m joking because all she ever does is laugh.......................

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Tough question- nothing exotic really but I'd love a good shooting condition 12 gauge LC Smith double barrel, AND I'd love to have back that like new Colt King Cobra that I sold way too cheap. I bet I'm not the only one on here that sold a gun they wish they had not sold.
I've done it too many times, usually to finance a new purchase.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
There isn't anything out there that I would really go ape over but a bunch that would be nice to say I had. As simple as my wanting are I guess I would like to have a Remington Nylon Gallery Special. I see them quite regularly on Gunbroker and the like but I would not think I would spend that kind of money on one. I did pay $750 for an XP-100 though.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would love to get a chance to buy a .416 that I built on a old model 70 receiver with an old Master Gunsmith. We reamed it with a custom reamer built for my old buddy by RCBS. He redesigned the shoulder and lenthened the throat so it was one of a kind.
My old buddy was Otto Beverley, he called it a .416 Otto and it was the last large caliber he built before his final stroke put him in the nursing home. It was a one of a kind.

That was very high on my list as well, but I know where one is that will likely be mine one day

There is 1 at my parents house, was my grandfathers made in 1939. I hint about it but its my moms and she says I can have when I can pry from her cold dead hands,hope she's kidding.

Last edited:

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There is 1 at my parents house, was my grandfathers made in 1939. I hint about it but its my moms and she says I can have when I can pry from her cold dead hands,hope she's kidding.

My Dad has his Grandaddy’s. It’s super sentimental as that was the gun his Grandaddy used to kill his last bird.

It kind of hits me in the feels to even think about that gun. I know it kind of tugs at my Dad too.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Nothing really fancy, Remington 700 KS LH 30-06.

<>< Fish

I didn't find a KS but I did find a rarer 700 FS lefty 30-06 Custom Shop rifle. Topped it of with a set of Talley mounts and Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x40.

<>< Fish

F8w2DMY

Attachments

• 20200318_174818.jpg
    20200318_174818.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 29
Last edited: