what is the longest you have had a trail camera function the way it's supposed to?

cheapdate

Eight Pointer
I buy cameras in the $150 range and typically get about 2 to 3 years of use out of it before it starts to function improperly.

mbh78

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I've got 3 that are 7+ years old. Still work like they did when I opened the pack.

Dan Apple

Old Mossy Horns
I had some cuddyback captures that worked for maybe 10 years... the only thing that wasn't "right" was the year, …. it wouldn't go up to 2018 and beyond for some reason.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have 2 WGI that are 7 years old...4 moultries that are 5 years old and still going strong. My tascos are 3 years old and work great

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Lol...I still have a old Moultrie that used the 6v lantern batteries.
It worked fine they were just so large and battery only lasted a few days so I stopped using them.
I just set my Moultrie D55 out a couple of weeks ago and it worked fine and that camera is at least 10yrs old.

For the most part 3-5 yrs old is average for other cameras I have had.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've got an old D5 Moultrie that has to be over 10 years old, I've replaced the display in it once and it's time to do it again. I've got a Bushnell Trail Cam that has a 2011 manufacturer sticker, other than slow trigger speed it works great.
I had a old Bushnell security cam that used 4 AA batteries that was well over 10 years old and just quit last year.
Mine don't get a hard work out typically, and lately they've had batteries removed more than installed.

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
Mine have typically lasted 5-7yrs.

Had a bad batch of Browning, which was odd considering their reputation. Poor lifespan for some early WGIs, but have a few now at 5+yrs that were given to me.

Spypoint....one never functioned as intended and the other made it 2 weeks... :rolleyes: Worst hunting purchase ever...and I purchased a "butt-out" tool many years ago.🤦‍♂️

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
You will pay for them....but I had two reconyx cameras operate for over 8 years before they got stolen.

@Tipmoose I forgot about Reconyx, mine is still going strong at 10yrs also and it went back to Reconyx once for the display going bad, they repaired it, updated it, put new gaskets on it, cleaned the contacts and sent me a new hat for $35 shipping included. If they weren’t so $$$ I’d have more myself, but they last and they stand behind them 👍

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Got some bushnells that are over 5 years old. Hope the tactacams last.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JayDB

Eight Pointer
I first began using trail cameras in 2008. Over the last 12 years, I have used about every brand imaginable. I’ve tended to get one camera from each brand last several years (while numerous others from the same brands only lasted 1-2 years). For me, the one brand of cameras that has consistently performed year after year, has been Cuddeback. Every Cuddeback I’ve owned has lasted 5+ years. You’ll pay a little more for them, but it’s money well spent.

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
Wild Game Innovation that's going on 5 years now. I don't do pictures on mine either. I always keep all of my cameras on video mode.

JoeR

Eight Pointer
I had a Reconyx RC60HO that lasted 5 years. It went in for repairs about once a year though.
I've had 2 home built video cams last 5 years.
All others from various brands lasted 3 years max. I leave my cams out 24/7/365.
Joe

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I buy cameras in the $150 range and typically get about 2 to 3 years of use out of it before it starts to function improperly.
Same here. 3 years on average. I’ve had some only make it a year and a couple go 5-6 years.

The most disappointed I’ve been is when I spent $250 or so and they made it 13 months. $150 retail, get them on sale for $100 seems to be the best price point for me.

What is annoying right now is companies turning their cell cams into the flagship models and downgrading the others to junk.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Are the number of years every one is posting full years or just hunting seasons? I put my cameras up near the beginning of September and take them down about 2 weeks after the season ends. My best is about 7 seasons using a Primos 35.

I got a Moultrie I bought 8 years ago. I think I paid around 50 bucks for it. Still working like the day I bought it. Its in the woods right now taking pics. I run it from mid August to mid January.

Last edited:

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Are the number of years every one is posting full years or just hunting seasons? I put my cameras up near the beginning of September and take them down about 2 weeks after the season ends. My best is about 7 seasons using a Primos 35.
Mine mostly run 6 months out of the year. The only one that stays out 24/7/365 is my 2012 covert blk 60. Had 2 of them but one grew legs last season and walked off.

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
My Coverts that have lasted the longest have never been out of the woods once deployed. Change batteries and unfortunately straps cause the camera outlasted it outside all while in the woods. Lithium batteries so don’t have to worry about Acid on battery contacts. My cameras are out in multiple states year round.

drhunter1

Four Pointer
A refurbished Moultrie about 6-7 years ago and it's still going strong. Can't remember the model number.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'm surprised at all the good reports on Moultrie. Moultrie has given me the worst service and Browning the best.

genbud78

Ten Pointer
I have an old Bushnell that I've had for about 6 years. Still works pretty well

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk