What is the buck that will haunt you to the end of your days?

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
maybe in ' 82 ??.....same year I met Fred Bear.
Rattled in a buck near Silk Hope, with a rocking chair on his head.
All I heard was ONE leaf overturn....directly behind me,so I painfully slowly turned to peek around that giant tree I was leaning on.
And, as one eye cleared enough to see him, at 50 yds-ish, he spun and vanished in an instant.
Rattled in and killed his son 3 days later across the rd, 1/2 mile away.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Won’t necessarily haunt me but I had hundreds of pics of 160” 10 point on cam, never caught up with him. This is on a really small tract I own that I’m gonna build on eventually but I usually just meat hunt on it for now(overrun with does In that area)

I have permission to retrieve deer from the neighbor but can’t hunt over there. He ended up killing the buck grossed 163 and some change.

I’ve missed some good ones in the past but deer don’t tear my up like turkeys

If I miss a turkey I feel depressed lol

fowlplay'n

Twelve Pointer
I’ve had a few over the years but the most recent was just a few months ago. I started getting pics of a good mature 7 point buck last year but only a few times and always at night. This year they clear cut the neighbors place and I started getting way more pics of him and even a few during daylight. After my original target buck was shot by another guy in our lease I focused all attention toward this one buck. On November 15th I got in the stand well before daylight. I have a ritual of saying a prayer at the start of each hunt so I took some time for that just as it was getting light enough to see. When I opened my eyes and looked up I could see a dark spot in the food plot about 175 yards away. I looked through my scope and could see it was a large deer but wasn’t sure how large. Within a few minutes it was light enough to see his rack and I instantly knew it was the big 7. He had a beautiful chocolate rack and his body was by far the largest I had ever seen around here. Somewhere in the excitement of finally laying eyes on him I saw him turn back towards the tree line and panicked that he may leave. In hindsight, he would likely have stayed in the plot but I rushed the shot and almost instantly had a bad gut feeling. I spent quite a bit of time searching for blood but never found any and he showed back up on camera the next night unharmed. He wasn’t the largest racked buck in the woods but he would likely have been my oldest buck to date and the best from that property. As far as I know he made it through so there’s always next year!

Attachments

• 86F4031A-C9FD-45AB-92D7-92539E17A0C7.jpeg
    86F4031A-C9FD-45AB-92D7-92539E17A0C7.jpeg
    171.6 KB · Views: 42
The first year I started seriously hunting, I was on camp Lejeune I had found a scrape line and was hunting it during Blackpowder season. I came back Sunday morning and as soon as I climbed up a pretty 8 point came out and I shot right under it. I was pretty torn the rest of year as they was the biggest buck I’d ever seen and woulda been my first deer. Looking back I still wish I woulda shot straigher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBD

Spike
Had him at 20 yds to my left with a bow. Not sure why to this date, but stood up to shoot him instead of drawing back sitting down. Younger buck wit him saw me and took off running, which lead him to do the same. Never saw him again!

Attachments

• big buck2[1].jpg
    big buck2[1].jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 57
  • big buck4[1].jpg
    big buck4[1].jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 58

cheapdate

Eight Pointer
Had him at 20 yds to my left with a bow. Not sure why to this date, but stood up to shoot him instead of drawing back sitting down. Younger buck wit him saw me and took off running, which lead him to do the same. Never saw him again!
Massive rack, and the body on that deer suggests he wasn't as old as some might think.