What is the best filet knife for the money?

mudflap

Ten Pointer
I need to invest in a good filet knife and wondering what is a good brand? Looking to spend under $75. Any thoughts on the Bubba Blade 9" flexible filet?

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I really like this knife. Bought it to bone out deer meat; but have used it on fish and chickens. I like the handle as it keeps a good grip even if wet
Forschner 6" Boning Knife - bought from Amazon for about $30

Last edited:

Redeye

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I love my Cutco. The length is adjustable. Plus they have a lifetime warranty.

ncsuchef

A cheap forschner or mercer soft steel sharpens extremely easily to a razor edge.

Redeye

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Another vote for Cutco's "fisherman's solution". It's securely adjustable from like 6-9 inches long and a lifetime warranty never hurts.

Oh, it also has a lifetime sharpening deal. Send it in and pay for S&H ($6 for up to 2 knives) and they will resharpen the knife. If they can not get it back to factory specs, they send you a new knife. I love my Cutco Filet and skinning knives!

http://www.cutco.com/products/product.jsp?itemGroup=5721

Last edited:

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
Rapala makes a decent knife.

Have used one for years

Have one of the wood handle rapala's that my uncle gave me when i was 10 years old, after he taught me how to filet fish...been using it ever since until a few weeks ago i broke the tip of the blade... lasted 20 years, and i dont know how many fish, but my daughter got me a new one for my Bday. :D Hope it last another 20 years!!

poppop

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I really like this knife. Bought it to bone out deer meat; but have used it on fish and chickens. I like the handle as it keeps a good grip even if wet

what he said, you can't find some used ones on Ebay sometimes, I have about a dozen and that is all I used when I fished, and all I use for skinning and cutting up deer.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
I like my Dexter for sure. I had a Rapala for many years, the handle finally gave out and the blade would rotate inside the handle. Figured before I sliced my hand off I'd best get rid of it and got a Dexter. Never looked back after I filleted out some speckled trout with it...:)

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
I have a Normark made in Finland, good knife stays sharp had it for years I'm not sure if they are still available. I have a few other fillet knives but the Normark is my favorite.

blbranch

Six Pointer

I second that I believe I have the same one. Very sharp. Great knife.

bdmglockfan

I really like my Mister Twister electric filet knife. I paid less than $30 for it at Walmart. It really makes short work of all the catfish, bluegill, crappie, and other panfish I bring home. I don't usually filet my trout, just gut them and grill or smoke them whole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I like my Cutco also. I do a lot(or did) of flounder fishing and the adjustable blade comes in handy. Kinda pricey though and don't know if it is worth the extra money. I have a friend who has a Mister Twister electric fillet knife and seems to be good.

Tunanut

Ten Pointer
What this guy is using.

[video=youtube;qE_ZN1mHKvo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE_ZN1mHKvo[/video]

It is a Masahiro Butcher's knife 240 mm from Japan. Dexters have worked for me, but this has me interested in the Japanese carbon steel.