What is it about dogs....

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Our knucklehead GSD is the sweetest yet stubbornest dog ever. I can walk her around the block until I'm blue in the face and she will pee once and then spend the rest of the walk trying to pull me back to the house.

But....if I take her out to the farm and let her off the leash, before we've walked 200 yards she's peed twice and pooped three times.

What the hell? Frustrating animal. :)

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well when you are at the farm she has went into "hunt mode" and they naturally unload for that. That is just nature taking over. If you had let her off the leash at home she would have done the same thing, but you may have been a mile over trying to catch her.

This is coming from someone that has spent their life with dogs. I am not 1/10 as educated as you, but I know dogs.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Well when you are at the farm she has went into "hunt mode" and they naturally unload for that. That is just nature taking over. If you had let her off the leash at home she would have done the same thing, but you may have been a mile over trying to catch her.

This is coming from someone that has spent their life with dogs. I am not 1/10 as educated as you, but I know dogs.

I will not second guess you in the slightest. I figured it had something to do with new areas having new scents that she feels compelled to respond to. The real purpose of the thread was to invite silly dog stories from other users too. :) I love dog stories.

As for my education...yea I'm book smart. But all I do is type letters into a computer all day. I'll never look down on those who actually accomplish something with their careers. And if you catch me doing it, please call me out on it.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I will not second guess you in the slightest. I figured it had something to do with new areas having new scents that she feels compelled to respond to. The real purpose of the thread was to invite silly dog stories from other users too. :) I love dog stories.

As for my education...yea I'm book smart. But all I do is type letters into a computer all day. I'll never look down on those who actually accomplish something with their careers. And if you catch me doing it, please call me out on it.
No, I was not in the least ever saying you had done that to me. I was just saying I do know dogs.

They, or some of them are quite funny "unloading" especially when they are rushed. I usually hunt two at a time and road hunt them quite often. That consist of casting them out in front of a side by side and letting them run in front of the vehicle on the sand roads or logging roads for scent then they will pursue it and tree the game. You can cover immense acreage if you have it. Of course one will always finish up before the other and take off and dogs like humans are always competitive and the other invariably will take off after the other one not to be left behind. I can't count the times I have seen one get hit with a pain and stop, squat and then decide to heck with it I am going anyway and be slinging remnants of a half finished job while running. LMAO

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
A simple dog story:
I had a Lab "mix" that I got from the pound as a puppy and he was the best dog I ever had. During the season we hunted ducks just about every morning until he got to old and retired and spent his remaining days in the garden raising vegetables and pulling weeds (yes, he pulled weeds with the best of them) with my wife. One day I invited a coworker to hunt with me out of my boat. As I was loading gear into the boat I politely asked my dog to get to the back of the boat much like I would ask another person. Well, the dog walked to the back of the boat and sat down. My friend kind of stood there for a second in amazement and replied that he couldn't believe that the dog understood every word I said. I replied, really? So your telling me that your dog doesn't understand English? :LOL:

Last edited:

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

I have a bluetick that does that same thing , when I take her out in the woods she almost immediately craps.

Never thought of that but it makes sense

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
Always get a kick out of a beagle pack, when the tailgate drops. Everyone has to take care of business, and THEN they can start hunting. Occasionally one will hit a track right out of the gate, and the rest will try to pack to him while still "humped up" LMAO

C52

Eight Pointer
One of my Dads dogs will not go in the pen. When Dad turns him out, he goes about 200 yards to a patch of woods to go. Btw, there’s a patch of woods 25 yards from his pen.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Mine will run through anything for game animals but will not step on wet grass to pee in the morning. I never thought I'd own a dog that has this level of prey drive, and dodges wet ground in the morning to pee. I've had ppl tell me it's cause there smart, I just shake my head.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
From the time we bring a puppy home every time they go to use the bathroom I say "Go Potty" when they start and praise them when they have finished. After about 4-5 months that pup will go on command. My old dog Snoopy(a GSP) would go exactly where I pointed with insane accuracy.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The area that I fenced for the boys when I first moved to the new place was kinda small so every evening I'd let them out to run and sniff and pee. When it was time for them to go back inside I'd open the door to the motorhome, they'd follow me in, and watch while I cut up a hotdog as a treat, Then I'd say "Alright now, go to your room!" and they make a beeline for the gate to the enclosure and wait while I closed the gate for their treat.

When I got settled in I fenced in a 1/4 acre area so they would have some running room. I still have their 20x20 kennel fencing inside with a raised platform for them to get up off the ground with their houses on it. I kept them in it for a day or two and then let'em out to sniff and run a little.
We had our normal ritual when it was time for them to go back inside. I cut up the hot dog and told them, "Alright now, go to your room!" but when I walked out to the new pen and they were nowhere to be found...
I happened to glance over to the old area and there they were, tails a waggin', waiting for their treat. No fence, no kennel, and no dog houses but to them that was still "their room"! I went to my knees I was laughing so hard and then they were all over me. Took me TWO hotdogs to get them into the new place.....

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Yep, longrifle, that's how ours is. She no longer needs/uses a crate, but whenever we tell her "Ellie, Crate!" She runs over and lays down in the exact spot the crate used to be.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Yep, longrifle, that's how ours is. She no longer needs/uses a crate, but whenever we tell her "Ellie, Crate!" She runs over and lays down in the exact spot the crate used to be.

This is similar way I have and others do to train dogs to use dog blinds or platforms on duck boats. I would stick cardboard in bottom of kennel, they are crate trained. Now you can take that cardboard anywhere and say kennel, he should go to cardboard.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
From the time we bring a puppy home every time they go to use the bathroom I say "Go Potty" when they start and praise them when they have finished. After about 4-5 months that pup will go on command. My old dog Snoopy(a GSP) would go exactly where I pointed with insane accuracy.

We do same, dogs just prefer dry ground.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
One of best things I trained in lab was shake, not shake his paw, shaking paw was "high five". Shake to my force fetched lab meant shake that cold arse water off before you get near me, he would shake water off and wouldn't get us wet and he never dropped duck/bumpers. Had same dog come out of dead sleep at the click of the safety looking for birds.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

We've done the same with our dog to get him to pee, only we use the phrase " Do Quickie!" And one pleasant thing about my dog, he'll never pee or poop in a path or trail, he'll always step off a few yards to the side to do his business.

Thunderstorms are a whole other business; he's getting a little older now & sensitive to thunder. If a storm is approaching I've got to get him outside to do business before we start hearing thunder, otherwise, he ain't going out for NOTHING........

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Mine always wants to go crap in driveways when we walk.
Put her out back, nothing, walk her around the yard, nothing..... walk he down the road and she will dump in every drive she can get to and has phantom :donk:donk:donk:donk in the others.
Always say a dog has to try.....

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
So, I live in the county, on about 3 acres. When I get home from work, about a 50 min drive, I get out of my truck and usually take a leak ( my truck blocks me from the road and I dont wait to get into the house). Well when Georgia (our Lab) is outside waiting for me, she will squat and pee about 5 feet, while looking over her shoulder at me.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My daily ritual when I get home begins as soon as I walk in the door. My Boykin starts barking jumping, spinning and basically going crazy. I MUST immediately grab a couple of bumpers, go outside and throw them for him. He won't calm down until I do. Upon the first retrieval, he will stop at several trees to pee before bringing the bumper back to me.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
When Lucy was a pup I called it "business" and I always took her to the edge of the woods behind the house. To this day she will NOT crap or pee in the grass part of the yard. Her funny thing is she'll take a dump them run about 12 to 15 feet away and do her divots, no where close enough to cover what she thinks she's covering.

TKL

Four Pointer
While hunting with my last squirrel dog if anyone had to pee they had to make sure he was not around. He would come beside them and pee on their leg while they were peeing if they were not paying attention. He never tried that on me but he got lots of others. Man I miss that dog. He had a better personality than a lot of people.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Man I miss that dog. He had a better personality than a lot of people.

I totally agree. I used to sit in a dove field and have conversations with my old Lab, Bailey. She couldn't talk (of course) but she would listen better than anyone I knew and always had facial expressions that expressed her feelings......