What is going on with this deer?

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
Never saw one with puffy jowls like that. Too much time at the salt lick, causing water retention? ;)

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
he's all swole up from walking up that really steep hill,,,,rheumatism you know,,,

lbksmom

Banned
he's all swole up from walking up that really steep hill,,,,rheumatism you know,,,
I think she is really having quad fawns, someone feeding her steroids. So she is excercising up the hill every day, really getting pumped up!!!!

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
Happens in most ruminant animals. More prevalent in cattle and goats, but can happen with any ruminant.
Just mentioned this to a vet...his response was that Rumen bloat is very localized and this deer is puffed up all over the torso. Said it also would have been dead (suffocated) long before it got that blown up from rumen distention. He said it is more likely subcutaneous emphysema (air under the skin).

I never heard of either condition before today

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Just mentioned this to a vet...his response was that Rumen bloat is very localized and this deer is puffed up all over the torso. Said it also would have been dead (suffocated) long before it got that blown up from rumen distention. He said it is more likely subcutaneous emphysema (air under the skin).

I never heard of either condition before today

I saw a deer with the exact conditions of the deer in your photo while working at the whitetail research facilities at UGA. The wildlife vets and biologists there called it ruminal tympany after euthanizing the deer and posting it. I'm not a vet and I was just relaying what I had seen before. If it is subcutaneous emphysema, the deer has probably been wounded or hit by a vehicle and the expanding "bloat" will contribute to gangrene soon.

Last edited:

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
I saw a deer with the exact conditions of the deer in your photo while working at the whitetail research facilities at UGA. The wildlife vets and biologists there called it ruminal tympany after euthanizing the deer and posting it. I'm not a vet and I was just relaying what I had seen before.

well it seems most likely it is one of the two....either way i pity the thing. Doesn't sound like either one is pleasant.