What fish fryer?

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
I don't have a fish fryer yet. I do have a dutch oven so I have the option of just getting a burner/stand or getting a full fish fryer. Don't need a big one and really needs to be portable. Would you just get the burner/stand and use the existing dutch oven or go ahead and get an all in one with pot and cage and thermometer and stand?
I am headed to my sister's place in the mountains soon and want to take my grandson to a trout pond and then bring home the catch and filet and fry them. How do you prepare the filets? What breading/seasoning? Also want to add hush puppies to the meal but I would like more than just plain old corn meal. Any good recipes for hush puppies or a pre-made mix that is a good choice?

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Get a combo from king kooker

I use house Autry breader and I like moss brand puppy mix....I like mine sweet so I add sugar to taste, also use beer instead of water for the wet ingredient

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I fry 90% of things in a wok or a cast iron

If I need it deep yes I do have a turkey pot.

And a cheap propane stand.

It’s my camp buddy too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you’re going after trout, leave that deep fryer for the hush puppies.

For trout this is what you need:

a hot cast iron skillet
Butter
Salt
Pepper
Onions and or garlic

You could substitute lemon pepper if you like or add it along with the salt and pepper

Get your cast iron skillet hot
Drop in a bit of butter( enough to coat the bottom of the skillet when melted)
Sauté the onions and trout together
Plate em and enjoy

As far as hush puppies go, House Autry mix will do fine, I use beer instead of water, and usually add a bit of extra onion to the batter.

treein dixie

Twelve Pointer

Best their is wouldn't be with out one!

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
smoke the trout..only way it's decent. Use a cast iron pan or your chicken fryer to fry up the hushpuppies. A gas burner set for a turkey fryer works great with a dutch oven or chicken fryer. Peanut oil only for fish or hushpuppies and House Autry semi-spicy breading is good stuff.

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
Lightly breaded in autry...dropped into hot grease and fried golden...drink a beer while frying...sprinkled with a pinch of old bay when plated...served with hush puppies and zesty cocktail sauce and a glass of tea

Last edited:

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
And I thought the bbq thread had some hairbrained ideas on how to fix it.... ;) dang some of ya's ought to stick with the filet o fish sandwich at the McDonald's drive thru . :D

The man asked how to fry a fish. I don't do trout, but I gave him the info he wished for

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have this one. you can fry anything or boil shrimp in it. Multiple uses.
fryer
I haven't had mountain trout, so I can't tell you how to cook it.

this is my set up. I also have a pan that will cover the whole double burner cooker and is 4 or 6 inches deep. Stainless steel and heavy
0815201742a (002).jpg

Last edited:

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Ok I have reconsidered frying but I do love fried fish. I am laid up with a broken ankle and would have to fry out in the driveway in the cold on crutches away from the family. We have decided to foil bake them with each family member preparing their own. I like the idea of lemon pepper but looking for suggestions. Might also consider some sort of sauté in a cast skillet. Thanks for ALL your help.

Last edited:

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
c35c5343c8598e820f209e416390cee4.jpg

Well not too bad but i will be frying the next time.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have this one. you can fry anything or boil shrimp in it. Multiple uses.
fryer
I haven't had mountain trout, so I can't tell you how to cook it.

this is my set up. I also have a pan that will cover the whole double burner cooker and is 4 or 6 inches deep. Stainless steel and heavy
View attachment 55995
I have that same double stand burner with an identical pot/basket. Works good on fish, FF, hushpuppies, homemade chips, onion straws, etc. No big tank that has to be drained or anything. Mine is Carolina Cooker (AgSupply brand). It's portable by taking the legs off, and mine has side shelves that rest on it. We take it on vacation all the time for fish frys. It sits outside in the rain 24/7 and has lasted for many years now. I'm on my second set of burners and my second fry pot (SS this time), but it's still going strong.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
this the SS pan, it needs a plug on one end

I have that same double stand burner with an identical pot/basket. Works good on fish, FF, hushpuppies, homemade chips, onion straws, etc. No big tank that has to be drained or anything. Mine is Carolina Cooker (AgSupply brand). It's portable by taking the legs off, and mine has side shelves that rest on it. We take it on vacation all the time for fish frys. It sits outside in the rain 24/7 and has lasted for many years now. I'm on my second set of burners and my second fry pot (SS this time), but it's still going strong.

0111201708   0022.jpg

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Bringing this back up. I ended up getting a fryer. We tried it out last weekend. Our issue was how to regulate the heat. We turned it up full blast until it got up to 350 and then tried to regulate it but it seemed to get too hot or the flame would go out when we tried to turn it down low enough to keep in regulated around 365 to 375. How do you go about keeping it at those temps?

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Bringing this back up. I ended up getting a fryer. We tried it out last weekend. Our issue was how to regulate the heat. We turned it up full blast until it got up to 350 and then tried to regulate it but it seemed to get too hot or the flame would go out when we tried to turn it down low enough to keep in regulated around 365 to 375. How do you go about keeping it at those temps?

Put a thermometer and slowly bring it up. Once you get it to the temp you want mark the regulator or just leave it there.

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
You will have to meter the amount of air / oxygen you are allowing to mix with the propane to help regulate temp. And just like running a motor just because you make an adjustment it takes a few minutes for that adjustment to equalize due to thermal mass of oil,metal, etc...

timber

Twelve Pointer
I have tried alot of the brands of seafood breading but i like to mix my on. Fine ground corn meal and a little flour ,salt and pepper. Nothing against the other breadings but to me they take away the taste of the fish. Check Agri Supply they may have a stand to fit your cast iron pot. Not going change the taste of the fish if you use that or a high dollar fryer. Some of the best fish ever had were cooked in a old truck oil pan with 4 angle iron legs welded on it. Some of them we used wood others used old tobacco burner under it

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Mexican boy that I used to work with had a disc blade with the hole welded up that they used. I gave him a pot and asked him a few months later how did it work, and he said he was waiting to use it at his place once him and his wife moved out of his parent's house.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Mexican boy that I used to work with had a disc blade with the hole welded up that they used. I gave him a pot and asked him a few months later how did it work, and he said he was waiting to use it at his place once him and his wife moved out of his parent's house.

Very popular in New Mexico