What do you use for raccoon bait?

Looks like in late to the party, but if you're trapping around deer corn -try some fermented corn next year.

It's cheap and easy, and seems to work well around the deer corn piles.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
The NCWRC studied raccoons back in the winter of '78 on Nantahala N.F. near Albert Mtn. We live- trapped coons using an opened can of sardines & then tranquilized, tagged, weighed, sexed & pulled an incisor tooth for aging. 1st problem was, we kept catching the same coon over & over. 2nd problem while checking the trapline, a Tech rolled his NCWRC Dodge p.u. off the ice slick logging road down the mountain for about 125 ft.
Dave Dudek part of that?

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I used to use fish , any fish out of the haw River or sardines but I caught a crap ton of them in live traps (when I sold them) on canned corn . Don't know why I ever tried canned corn but it worked good. I would also catch rabbits in the trap w canned corn.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
The contents of your griddles grease trap is a &/$:)/$& coon magnet. Greasy ;-?.!.‘suk coon tracks all over my carport🤦🏻‍♂️

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Dave Dudek part of that?
Yes, Dave worked @ the NCWRC Waynesville Depot, Pisgah N.F., & I was @ the Franklin location, Nantahala N.F. Dave's crewleader was Parks Helms & mine was Ed Waldrop. We both were hired by Grady Barnes as Temp. Wildlife Mgmt. Techs straight out of NCSU. Did you know Ed or Parks? Dave was an awful good guy & I really liked him, as was the rest our crew. Great time & experience! Ask Dave if he remembers dressing up in our suit & ties to go to Raleigh for permanent job interviews & little did we know there were 4 others temps w/ seniority waiting for the same job. Soon after that I accepted a promotion, 25 cent raise, 🤑 to transfer to Elizabethtown, Bladen Lakes State Forest. I know Dave was teaching Wildlife Mgmt. @ Haywood Community College. Tell Dave, "Don said hey" if you see him.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Yes, Dave worked @ the NCWRC Waynesville Depot, Pisgah N.F., & I was @ the Franklin location, Nantahala N.F. Dave's crewleader was Parks Helms & mine was Ed Waldrop. We both were hired by Grady Barnes as Temp. Wildlife Mgmt. Techs straight out of NCSU. Did you know Ed or Parks? Dave was an awful good guy & I really liked him, as was the rest our crew. Great time & experience! Ask Dave if he remembers dressing up in our suit & ties to go to Raleigh for permanent job interviews & little did we know there were 4 others temps w/ seniority waiting for the same job. Soon after that I accepted a promotion, 25 cent raise, 🤑 to transfer to Elizabethtown, Bladen Lakes State Forest. I know Dave was teaching Wildlife Mgmt. @ Haywood Community College. Tell Dave, "Don said hey" if you see him.
I haven’t seen Dave since not long after I graduated. 17 years or so

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
The best thing I’ve found for coons in a dp is either lucky charms or fruit loops. And I’ll squirt a smidge if cheap pancake syrup around the trap. Venture to guess I’ve caught 40 on my place this year using that bait. I stay away from any meat or fishy type baits unless I want to catch skunks or possums.
Sweet= coons
Meat or fish = skunks or possums.

odie408

Ten Pointer
I set 6 for coons yesterday using marshmallows coated in cherry kool-aid (3 packs in a bag of minnies) had 4 this morning.

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
Gang setting is a good way to pull numbers being they roll in groups. A caught coon in a dp is prolly the best bait you’ll ever not make.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve been having pretty good luck lately with sardines and dousing of cheap dollar general pancake syrup……

TerryC

Button Buck
Something sweet, miniature marshmallows work well in the west for me. My next choice would be sardines, I would try water packed first, then oil.