What deer drag system/rig do you guys use?

DarrinG

Six Pointer
I hunt public lot so used to long drags best thing I've ever figured out was the line on my safety harness that attaches to tree I use that so keeps both my hands free use the old chest and legs to do work instead of pulling with arms/hands. That makes one less thing I gotta pack also if you have carpal tunnel like me solves that issue.

This ^^^

However I have considered buying one of those folding big wheel carts and keeping it stored in the truck during hunting season for super-long hauls out.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Yes, those should work just fine. I may buy one once my pink toboggan wears out.
They work great. Used them before I used an ATV and for remote areas I can not get the ATV to. Still have it and works.
I would do 2 thinks, trash the rope they give you and get better stuff that holds an knot and better quality with more length.
Also would add a handle like a ski rope type or deer drag ones like talked about earlier.
Makes it work so much better.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
They work great. Used them before I used an ATV and for remote areas I can not get the ATV to. Still have it and works.
I would do 2 thinks, trash the rope they give you and get better stuff that holds an knot and better quality with more length.
Also would add a handle like a ski rope type or deer drag ones like talked about earlier.
Makes it work so much better.

If you noticed on my earlier pink toboggan photo, I just attach a drag harness to my sled. It allows me to drag hands-free and transfer the weight from my arms to my upper body.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve been doing the gutless method for a while now..... back in Miss I’d just field dress em but doesn’t fly here at our club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
I used to hunt public land exclusively. I've dragged deer and pigs over a mile with a piece of rope tied to a sturdy stick. I've dragged them with a friend and alone.

When I remarried and taught my new bride to hunt, a game cart soon became essential; she was slaying deer and pigs with a vengeance. LOL.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
If you noticed on my earlier pink toboggan photo, I just attach a drag harness to my sled. It allows me to drag hands-free and transfer the weight from my arms to my upper body.
10-4
That is the best way. I have a neck problem that I cant take the strap on my shoulder and neck area. That was the best way did it in the past but about 2 hrs later I could not turn my head..... So I need to use the next best with a handle.
I wish I could it was so much easier having the hands free.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I use an backpack with an internal frame. I skin them on the ground. I use to use a tarp on the ground, but over time have learned how to skin on without doing that. I use this method for hunts where I hike in considerable distances. Also, use this method dog hunting, clean it on the spot and done. For short drags I use a rope and bar/stick. https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...90xnZIafVNLUoW-NiGd1SHVhBlx_4fXRoCXtQQAvD_BwE https://www.rakuten.com/shop/beacha...hVzRL534jC5BYWAToIXR0PO-Q7j_DoBhoC8YoQAvD_BwE

I left out that I use a surplus water proof laundry bag to put the meat in so the back pack does not get blood in it. I use it as a liner in the backpack.

Last edited:

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I use an backpack with an internal frame. I skin them on the ground. I use to use a tarp on the ground, but over time have learned how to skin on without doing that. I use this method for hunts where I hike in considerable distances. Also, use this method dog hunting, clean it on the spot and done. For short drags I use a rope and bar/stick. https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...90xnZIafVNLUoW-NiGd1SHVhBlx_4fXRoCXtQQAvD_BwE https://www.rakuten.com/shop/beacha...hVzRL534jC5BYWAToIXR0PO-Q7j_DoBhoC8YoQAvD_BwE

I left out that I use a surplus water proof laundry bag to put the meat in so the back pack does not get blood in it. I use it as a liner in the backpack.
I like to carry camera equipment into stand especially if I'm doing an all day sit. I'd looked at this pack once for doing that but had forgotten about it till your post. Last week I bought it on Amazon for 65 bucks and it was sitting on my porch when i got home last night. Looks good not sure I'll use the meat carrying feature but it's good to have options.

Reactions: DRS

Blades

Six Pointer
I take a wagon with me since I hunt 600-1000 yards away from my truck. Once I report my harvest I’ll grab the cooler and wagon and start quartering in the woods. Usually takes me about an hour or two to be done with everything once I take my shot.

The sled looks like a better option so I may rig up a system this season.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
A doe can have a handle as well. Cut the back leg like you are hanging it from a gambrel. Insert the other back foot through said incision and the leg bone makes a handle at 90 degrees to the deer.

CAP305

Six Pointer
1 rope tied with double figure 8 on a bight attached to back of Lone Wolf stand via carabiners. Other end tied to neck of deer at a length that keeps the head/antlers just off the ground. Brief internal pep talk before starting and lots of breaks. Helps to have the camelback hose easily accessible when walking. Hunt uphill from truck. Love hunting public land but man it sucks with a mile or more drag.

22LR

Twelve Pointer
I made a deer drag out of 3/4" pvc and a section of 1100 para cord. I tied a double fishermans knot in the cord, run the cord in the pvc. Heated and shaped the ends to keep the knot in the handle. My rope seemed too long so I tied a figure eight in it to shorten the cord. Need to try it out now. Thanks for your advice and knowledge!

Attachments

• 0803181319a.jpg
    0803181319a.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 0803181321.jpg
    0803181321.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 0803181320.jpg
    0803181320.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 0803181318.jpg
    0803181318.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 15

e1978p

Button Buck
I just use my safety harness and a peice of rope. Works good most of the time.

Sent from my Z899VL using Tapatalk

ditchbank

Banned
Old school dragging...horns for grip/handles or back leg of doe and bust through the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I use the tried and true 18 year old step son. Its a little mouthy and has a bad attitude most of the time, but it gets the job done. ;)