What deer drag system/rig do you guys use?

22LR

Twelve Pointer
I'm talking about a hand held deer drag rig, NOT atv/utv or truck. I talking about old fashioned muscle and sweaty work. I need to drag a deer to an vehicle accessible path or road 90% of the time. If I'm fortunate enough to shoot a rack buck I will grab antlers and go. A doe doesn't have a handle. Any homemade drag ideas are appreciated! I thought about just buying this one https://shop.hawkhunting.com/cinch-deer-drag/

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
mine "looks" similar to this, except I made my handle from 1/2" pvc (5" long),,,,then 4 ft of rope,,,,

2e76f526-9e48-4ffa-9627-67eeb631f2e9_1.bc16039fd1f44557727b617c2bd86a90.jpeg

put around deers neck or antlers, pass through its self, and drag,,,,

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
mine "looks" similar to this, except I made my handle from 1/2" pvc (5" long),,,,then 4 ft of rope,,,,

Yep I use the same thing, got on sale several years back for less than 8$.
One other thing you can look for is an old ski rope, they can be found at walmart or flea markets cheap.
I tie the handle to rope for pulling up or letting down stands also. Makes it easy on your hands.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Rope with slip knot around neck or antlers and then tag end tied to a limb. Get to homemade cart with 26” tires and out she rolls with the treestand on top. Have also quartered them in the field.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I hunt public lot so used to long drags best thing I've ever figured out was the line on my safety harness that attaches to tree I use that so keeps both my hands free use the old chest and legs to do work instead of pulling with arms/hands. That makes one less thing I gotta pack also if you have carpal tunnel like me solves that issue.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
a 8 ft. piece of rope ran thru the tendons on the back of a does legs works for me...run it thru the does legs and around my waist and start walking

Randy

Ten Pointer

I made something very similar to this about 15 years ago from a piece of broom handle and 1/4 " poly rope. Keep it in my truck's tool box. Works pretty good.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Skin and quarter in the field. Carry out on my back.

I started doing this around 5 years ago and never plan to drag a deer again, unless it's less than 100 yards from the truck / road.

1. hang the deer from the foot platform of the climber
2. skin it out
3. quarter it
4. pack the quarters out in large plastic bags
5. process the deer at home

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I try to shoot the 70#ers or the studs.
The little ones drag like a blanket.
I dont mind working to get the big ones out. They have handles.
I spill the guts 90% of the time. I don't like dealing with them at the house or the processor.

Sent from my ASUS_A006 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
I've hunted mostly public land and I used to drag them out using my safety harness. Then I thought I was being smart and used a hand truck I used to move furniture and such but the wheels were too small. Finally I ordered a nice heavy duty fold up cart which has no doubt kept me from having a heart attack while dragging out big uns. Now a buddy and I use it to haul in our climbing stands or my pop up blind and we even put our kit bags on it. I just stash it in the bushes nearby and climb away. It doesn't seem to bother the deer as I have taken many with the cart hidden at the base of my tree. Cabelas still carries them as far as I know.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I started doing this around 5 years ago and never plan to drag a deer again, unless it's less than 100 yards from the truck / road.

2. skin it out
3. quarter it
Similar what I do, except I do the gutless method. I can have a deer broke down and ready to pack out in 15 min. I do this on both public and private land. The last deer I drug out I only did that because he died on the logging road 50 yds from my ATV. public land is always quarter and pack out.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

2. skin it out
3. quarter it
Similar what I do, except I do the gutless method. I can have a deer broke down and ready to pack out in 15 min. I do this on both public and private land. The last deer I drug out I only did that because he died on the logging road 50 yds from my ATV. public land is always quarter and pack out.
Gutless here too

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Back when I hunted public land I'd filet the side off one of those blue plastic 55 gallon drums with a sawzall and run a rope harness to it. Makes a killer drag....

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I bought a folding two wheeled cart from Cabelas a couple of years ago. Get the deer wrapped up in a tarp and secured to the cart, and its pretty easy to maneuver through everything but the thickest woods or swamp.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Those flexible kids snow sleds make skidding deer out over leaves and grass so much easier that it's scary. A couple of bungee cords to wrap the sled around the deer and whatever drag system you want to use attached to the deer and you're in business. They don't weigh anything and roll up to fit into your pack and can also be used as a dry seat if needed. Good things to have handy if you have the potential of a long drag through the woods where a wheeled cart can be tricky.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
i use a toboggan (not a pink one though) and a 4 wheeler, i am not dragging one of the deer i shoot very far