What are these?

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Parasitic caterpillars? So just in the last few days these have shown up on one of my trees in the yard. The tree is now half gone and I am not sure if it's been eaten or is dying? They are black grubs inside and usually it's only a couple on the tree at a time but man this time it's an infestation.

Attachments

• 20180625_120209.jpg
    20180625_120209.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 243
  • 20180625_120219.jpg
    20180625_120219.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 239

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There's a thousand of them. Will the tree survive if the spray doesn't work?
There's a drench that you can use that the tree takes up into the healthy branches and will kill the worms...but if the branches are already defoliated and dying it won't do any good except to prevent further damage.

hitman6397

Old Mossy Horns
We had them a couple of years ago and had to pick them all off and burn them to get rid of them. We found them all over the place not just on the cedar trees.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
That has been going on for yrs on that tree, just didn't get seen, unfortunately

gotta pick em off THEN spray

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
We spent nearly a week helping friends pick thousands off 3 trees of theirs a few yrs back.

It can be done, just takes time and commitment.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Contact sprays won’t do anything to them at this point. Damaged trees likely won’t grow back. Soil drenches are sketchy, as dosage isn’t always perfect and sometimes you end up creating a resistant bug.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
My parents neighbor worked with the state agriculture department and did bug catching and studies and he has confirmed all of y'alls advice. Only hope would be to pick every cocoon and then hope the tree grows back. He says once the cocoon is formed sprays will not penetrate it. So looks like tomorrow will be spent picking cocoons.

Question is would it be worth it to cut some of the bigger ones out and go catch some bream with them?

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Little tree killing bastards

These SOBs got me again. They have decimated so many trees in our area.

Anyone familiar with a guy that does CCW in pitt county named satterwhite he lost a ton of his tress this year. I'm assuming bagworms because they all died rapidly like mine are.

Attachments

• 20190707_194343.jpg
    20190707_194343.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 59

Hazmt

Six Pointer
I go them in an unwanted fir in my yard. It was in the open and after it died, I burned it and the little tree killers, dug up the roots and removed the threat. Things don't bode well for your remaining evergreens.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
yes bag worms. Cut those dang non native lelands down and plant something native that can handle the diseases and bugs and heat here. lelands cant.

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
i just looked them up and what I thought would get rid of them don’t seem to work. I got them also.

Last edited:

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
I had to cut mine down once the worms got them. I think Sevin will kill them but it doesn’t revitalize the tree.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
I’ve had them twice, just recently as last week. First time I sprayed Sevin on them. They all died within a day. This time all I had was malathion. Took a pump sprayer and soaked them. Next morning a lot were still alive so I soaked them again. Came home from work and they were either all dead or in the dying stages. They have to eat to survive and poke their head and body out to do so. Once they contact the poison, they will be done. Their cocoon can only protect them but so much. Spraying works folks ....

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve had them twice, just recently as last week. First time I sprayed Sevin on them. They all died within a day. This time all I had was malathion. Took a pump sprayer and soaked them. Next morning a lot were still alive so I soaked them again. Came home from work and they were either all dead or in the dying stages. They have to eat to survive and poke their head and body out to do so. Once they contact the poison, they will be done. Their cocoon can only protect them but so much. Spraying works folks ....

My issue last year and this year were the numbers of them. There is literally several hundred and before I noticed(tree is on side of house) they've done major damage. At least 40% of the tree is browned out already.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Took mine a very long time to recover. Combine that with the fact that they were already huge, i cut them down and started over.

hitman6397

Old Mossy Horns
We had them a few years ago. Picked them all off by hand they were also all around the tree on other plants and on the ground. Burned them the tree looked like the 1 in your pics but has made a full recovery.