What animal made these?

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
I came across these two dug out areas in a pine woods, approximately 100 yards from a field and bordering a swamp. The larger of the two (first picture) was approximately 4 feet across. The centerof it was full of pine straw, - you can see where I kicked out a bit of it. The smaller depression was about half the size of the larger one.
My though was maybe a coyote (lots of them in this particular area) has tried to dig out some other animal such as a groundhog or something. Or maybe it was a groundhog, but I would expect them to be more along the edge of the field. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20181223_153429.jpg
    20181223_153429.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 20181223_153537.jpg
    20181223_153537.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 71

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Coons aren't too bad to dig into them, fox and skunks will dig every one they find. If that was a yellowjackets nest it was a whopper.

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
Thanks for y'all's insight. I'm glad to know that it wasn't a hungry sasquatch digging for grubs or something.
BUT, why on God's earth would animals want to dig up a yellowjacket nest? Maybe they are immune to the yellowjacket's stings or something, but I can't imagine being hungry enough to want to eat a yellowjacket.