What an absolute disaster Costa has become

Einstein

Six Pointer
Just had to rant and would encourage you to never give them your business again.

About ten years ago, I got a pair of Costas. They were awesome, but after several years, a little rubber started peeling off the side. I contacted them, spoke to someone in Florida, and they sent me a brand new pair, no questions asked. About two years later, the same rubber started peeling off the new pair. They replaced them again, this time with glass lenses as a free upgrade and apologized for the problems.

In 2018, Costa was purchased by Luxottica, which also owns Oakley and Ray Ban.

A couple of months ago, my wife bought me a pair of Costas for my birthday. They charged me twice. I tried contacting them through email, chat, and phone, to never have someone contact me back. I called every day for about a week. I once even left my phone on my desk on hold for about 5 hours, just to prove a point. Lo and behold, one day I called and someone immediately answered. The lady argued with me for a long time about my card being charged twice, until eventually I spoke to a supervisor who literally told me “I know this must be hard for you to understand but one is a charge and the other is a hold”. They refused to refund a charge.

I called my bank and they disputed the charge and credited my account.

Foolish me, I ran over my original pair that I have had for so many years, and decided I was going to replace them. Even dumber me, I ordered another pair of Costas. So I order a pair of Spearos, and what do I receive in the mail? A pair of women’s Ray Bans. Insane. I then call them, no one ever answers. I email them, and the automatic reply is that someone will be in touch in a couple of days. Which means, by the time I have someone contact me back, I send in a new pair, they send the correct ones, God only know how long I’m looking at.

Sorry to be so long. With all that said, what brand do you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Funny you post this today, I got an email about a class action suit settlement with Costa.... I’m apparently entitled to 19.99 if I jump thru all the hoops. I do like my blackfins though

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Funny you post this today, I got an email about a class action suit settlement with Costa.... I’m apparently entitled to 19.99 if I jump thru all the hoops. I do like my blackfins though

got the same email.

Smith has been my go to brand for 4 years now.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
You have a lot of time to do all that work.

Cheap shades for me.

At the moment shadyrays.
50$ two pair
Loose or damage a pair and you get
Replacements for 20$ “the cost of shipping”

So your brand stuck for life. And I like it until I don’t.

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
I received the same class action lawsuit email.

You do not have to jump through any hoops, unless you are part of the FL specific settlement. You will get some voucher from Costa when the dust settles.

CoonHntr

Four Pointer
I dumped the Costas a while back because of the same rubber issues you were having. I switched over to Smiths and have been nothing but satisfied.

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
I have been a loyal customer of Costa for years and have never had any issues until I ordered my last pair. The newer models are so cheaply made that I’m done.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I wear Oakleys and have never had an issue with them, I buy them local considering all the sunglass stores that are around and outside of my favorite lenses being discontinued at one point I have no reason to ever change.. all the rubber pieces are replaceable for a few bucks and they will do it free at the store.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
smiths. i had some plastic lens issues after 5 years with the first pair, no questions asked they sent me a voucher for a new pair while i was still on the phone and said to send the old ones in when the box got to me. gave me enough to upgrade to the glass lens due to the model i had was a limited run and they didnt have them in stock any more.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I got the email yesterday also. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow and I will be ordering a new pair of prescription sunglasses tomorrow. Glad to see some of your responses.

I have a big head, does Smith have a glasses for a big head?

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Wiley X.. Heard some good things about Shady Rays, picked up a pair with their $20 Labor Day coupon, so far they’re good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I got the email yesterday also. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow and I will be ordering a new pair of prescription sunglasses tomorrow. Glad to see some of your responses.

I have a big head, does Smith have a glasses for a big head?
Yes, you can browse all their frames and see a fit guide.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
I have three pairs of Costas (one prescription) and they've been my favorite. I do agree it is hard to get someone on the phone. They had a sale on shirts recently and I ordered two. They ended up being out of stock so my order was cancelled. Costa sent me two free hats this week for my inconvenience.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have a drawer full of Costas.
Most of them are broken or missing pieces.
Used to love them, not so much now.

My next pair will be Smith.

ThrillofDaChase

Ten Pointer
Cracked a lens on my costas...called to see about replacement lenses. I did not have an issue with paying, but apparently they no longer will replace lenses.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Still got my 7 year old Costas i580's. My rubber came off also, so 2 summers ago I applied heat shrink and it has worked very well!

I stepped on a buddy's pair of Costas crushing them, we filled out some online stuff, I sent them $15, and in 5 days he had a brand new pair. I bought my costas a week later. Rarely seen such great customer service, now all I hear about is horror stories like yours :mad:.

Never hears of Smith's but I'll be looking into them.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
So far nothing compares to 580G glass.
That said, I’ll give Smith a shot next time. I get 2-3 years+ per pair of Costas. I have yet to pay full retail for a pair of Blackfins with 580G. If I get 2 years out of a pair @ $170/pair (clearance and coupons), thats $0.23/day for the beat quality lenses I’ve ever looked through. I’ll gladly pay that.
I wear them religiously unless it’s dark and dreary, and still do most days at that.
Wiley X, Oakley, Calcutta, nothing compares imo to the GLASS lense Costa. I’ve owned them as well and HATE spending money.
Too many friends that were diehard Costa went to Smith for me to not try them.

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
I haven't worn anything but smith in 10 or so years, optically the Costas have never been on par and the customer service is night and day since Costa was acquired.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Have several pairs, last couple years the only thing Costa seems good at is marketing, hats and t-shirts are better than the cheap ass glasses they're selling now. Also have a pair of mai jims much better made and I like the lenses better too. Have to check out Smiths next time I need a new pair.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
So far nothing compares to 580G glass.
That said, I’ll give Smith a shot next time. I get 2-3 years+ per pair of Costas. I have yet to pay full retail for a pair of Blackfins with 580G. If I get 2 years out of a pair @ $170/pair (clearance and coupons), thats $0.23/day for the beat quality lenses I’ve ever looked through. I’ll gladly pay that.
I wear them religiously unless it’s dark and dreary, and still do most days at that.
Wiley X, Oakley, Calcutta, nothing compares imo to the GLASS lense Costa. I’ve owned them as well and HATE spending money.
Too many friends that were diehard Costa went to Smith for me to not try them.

I was with you on 580G.
Then I looked through some Smith with chromapop polarized.
They may not be batter than 580G but they’re as good.

thandy

Ten Pointer
I have two pair of costas right now, both are the Zane's. I have a big head and have yet to find any that fit as good as them. I have had to send the back twice. Filled out the online form $15 and a few days later I had new glasses. The 1st time they email and ask about replacing a scratched lenses. The second time they just sent me new glasses without question. Never tried calling them but with the online form I have not needed too.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have been wearing Smith chromapop+ lenses for 8 years or so. I’ve bought 2 pairs of Costa 580G in the past 2 years because I got them mostly free through an insurance allowance.

I would say Smith polycarbonate and Costa glass is about equal. I REALLy like the fit of my Smith’s with the integrated leash. I can wear those for days, where the Costas will be hurting after about 6-8 hours. Smith’s fitting info is helpful too.