What’s your favorite Turkey hunting book?

Thomas270

Ten Pointer
With thanksgiving around the corner and another spring on the distant horizon, I find my mind already drifting to the sounds, sights, and smells of the spring turkey woods. Last year I purchased Gene Nunnery’s old pro turkey hunter and limited myself to one chapter a night just so I could enjoy it as long as I could stand it. Currently I have Kenny Morgan’s turkey hunting: a one mans game on order through Amazon. I have always heard that any of Tom Kelly’s books were equally great as well. Anybody else have any favorites that they just couldn’t put down? You can watch YouTube all day but something about the old school hunters way of doing things printed in black & white stir the imagination better than some video will ever do.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Better on a Rising Tide by Tom Kelly. Could not put it down. And learned some tips as a new turkey hunter from it.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
I am probably partial to Illumination in the Flatwoods, because though it's not about turkey hunting per se, it gives tremendous insight into how turkeys "think" and interact with things, which is maybe the most valuable knowledge for a turkey hunter.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
With thanksgiving around the corner and another spring on the distant horizon, I find my mind already drifting to the sounds, sights, and smells of the spring turkey woods. Last year I purchased Gene Nunnery’s old pro turkey hunter and limited myself to one chapter a night just so I could enjoy it as long as I could stand it. Currently I have Kenny Morgan’s turkey hunting: a one mans game on order through Amazon. I have always heard that any of Tom Kelly’s books were equally great as well. Anybody else have any favorites that they just couldn’t put down? You can watch YouTube all day but something about the old school hunters way of doing things printed in black & white stir the imagination better than some video will ever do.
i literally have them all.
The best" how to" is earl grove's Tomfoolery 2000.
The best series is tom Kelly. they are all great . You may want to try his best of collection.
if you like morgan,s first book definitely get his second. It's a coffee table , giant, beautiful pic book but his tales are even better. It's called" Turkey tales and mongrel dogs" or something close to that.

If you want the best source for any hard to find turkey books Jim Casada specializes in the after market resell of turkey hunting books. He has hundreds for sell. Just google his name with turkey hunting.

I just thought of another gem. Jim Spenser's turkey hunting bible is great as well.
And then there is ray eye. he has two good books.

Enjoy yourself, it is great fun reading about other's love for the best hunt.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
I cannot single one out. I've read them all. Id like to meet, and hunt with the author of all of them.
Especially Kenny Morgan....

GobblinNC

Four Pointer
Wild Turkey Hunting & Management
Lovett Williams

More of a scientific/biological read as opposed to story telling.. But a wealth of information. That can be said about all of the authors writings.

TarheelTurkey

Six Pointer
You have read what to date is beyond a shadow of a doubt my favorite with Old Pro Turkey hunter. I bought one of the first 100 reprints last year from Micheal Giles. I’m finishing the tenth legion now which I have enjoyed , I have bought faces in the crowd ( T Kelly) , now I’m wondering about the one lasttombstone is speaking of ? I have another one at home that I can’t recall the name of right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
^Better on a rising tide is wonderful. I remember agonizing on buying it when it came out. Now it is one of my most valuable (moneywise) of any I have.
It follows Tom thru an entire season hunt by hunt.
Warning: It'll teach you some hard lessons on gobbling turkeys. Scary actually . I wont spoil it for you but suggest you read it. :)

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I am probably partial to Illumination in the Flatwoods, because though it's not about turkey hunting per se, it gives tremendous insight into how turkeys "think" and interact with things, which is maybe the most valuable knowledge for a turkey hunter.
Excellent book and is one of my favorite reads along with another one of his books “the light in high places”

gobbler

Eight Pointer
Never read “better on a rising tide” but I’ll have to now,
I’m real fond of nunnery’s old pro but loadholtz’s turkey trot is a good read too, he was probably the single best turkey calling machine that ever existed and I got to met him and got my book signed and hunted in the very same woods a lot of his stories took place in, and used to hunt with a great friend of his that would elaborate even more on his stories, he got so good at it he wouldn’t even carry a gun, he just liked to watch them, he called it bingoing when he called one up real close, sadly he had a stroke and lost his ability to call naturally with his mouth

Ray eyes first chapter in his turkey strategies book brought a tear to my eye the first two times I read it, but I’m soft hearted

gobbler

Eight Pointer
oldest i looked up that better on a rising tide, they are proud of that one, i'll keep my eye open for a reasonably priced well used one

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
oldest i looked up that better on a rising tide, they are proud of that one, i'll keep my eye open for a reasonably priced well used one
i got confused on his books.
the valuable one that chronicles one season is appropriately called 'The Season". Since it's so hard to get the lesson i reffered to was that Kelly spends most of the spring listening to silence. One of those fluke things that can happen to even a good hunter in the midst of a healthy population of birds.
I checked Casada's price for it and it's $250.

BOART is still a great book. Casada has it for $45.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Of the two i like The Season best because i love to hear how folks that really hunt turkeys go about the deal.
And it is somewhat comforting to recall that even the best can fall victim to tight lipped Toms.