Western Bear opens up tomorrow

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Oh yeah, I brought the hounds up to the camp Friday guys have stated to show up. All my crew is here should be a Large time in the bear woods in the morning. The first shooter this year goes to a girl that has hunted with us ever since she was 10 shes (14 now) with her dad this is the first year she will be going to the tree with us. She's very excited and a little worried she has a slight physical handicap and doesn't know how she will do getting to the tree. I told her last night that's nothing to worry about that 6 of us are over 6'3" and in fairly good shape if we have to carry you to the tree it will be no problem we have done it before.

DarrinG

Six Pointer
Good luck to the bear killas! The darn things seem to be everywhere up here, borderline nuisances. I dont target bears specifically but I have a bear tag and already seen plenty during the first archery season. If a decent sized one come by again while I'm deer hunting its gonna get the air let out of its lungs with a Magnus broadhead!

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
Hope everyone has a safe and productive day of hunting. Decided not to take off since I took time for the hunt/camp last weekend. I’ll hunt Friday if all goes as planned. Ready to hear some hounds turned loose!
Good luck.

Went to knoxville this last weekend, and saw two along 40. (1 a dead cub, the other off an exit)

Enjoy the quality time.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Good luck.

Went to knoxville this last weekend, and saw two along 40. (1 a dead cub, the other off an exit)

Enjoy the quality time.
Thanks buddy I’ll let you know how it goes. Waiting to hear from some fellers today to see how they’ve done. Coworkers brother had one started early and treed but it wasn’t a shooter so they’re on to the next one

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks buddy I’ll let you know how it goes. Waiting to hear from some fellers today to see how they’ve done. Coworkers brother had one started early and treed but it wasn’t a shooter so they’re on to the next one
When I 1st moved to NC a couple decades ago, I went to the mountains during the opening of bear season over in Haywood county. I bear hunted Michigan, but this was my 1st time in the mountains. No clue how things happened here, or what to do - I just went solo with my 30-30.

I met a bunch of folks at a stop & rob, and they invited me along - mainly because I had a good truck for hill creeping and they were short a chase vehicle. I didn't mind. Just happy to see what it was all about. They had a spare CB we plugged in and duct taped an aerial in the back. And we're off....

We treed a hat-trick throughout the day, and passed up the shots - even though one was close and they offered it to me, I can tell by the way the guys were talking that they'd let it go, so I did.

But when those hounds get rolling, and you're running two tracks to get ahead of things, then hauling ass through a laurel thicket to get to the tree, its the most fun you can have with clothes on.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
When I 1st moved to NC a couple decades ago, I went to the mountains during the opening of bear season over in Haywood county. I bear hunted Michigan, but this was my 1st time in the mountains. No clue how things happened here, or what to do - I just went solo with my 30-30.

I met a bunch of folks at a stop & rob, and they invited me along - mainly because I had a good truck for hill creeping and they were short a chase vehicle. I didn't mind. Just happy to see what it was all about. They had a spare CB we plugged in and duct taped an aerial in the back. And we're off....

We treed a hat-trick throughout the day, and passed up the shots - even though one was close and they offered it to me, I can tell by the way the guys were talking that they'd let it go, so I did.

But when those hounds get rolling, and you're running two tracks to get ahead of things, then hauling ass through a laurel thicket to get to the tree, its the most fun you can have with clothes on.
I love to hear that! It’s funny…after I killed my first on opening day, I kinda “got over” the killing part. Don’t get me wrong I enjoy it and absolutely love having the bear meat. But after getting that first shot outta my system, I’m just happy to be a part of the whole thing . CB’s blaring, dogs going crazy, organized chaos…you know the deal. It’s a lot of fun. Especially for those of us that like those fast paced high adrenaline situations

Going Coastal

Eight Pointer
Good luck boys. The bears been moving up here in VA.
Last week I went to Lexington VA.
Saw a medium size bear hit on 581 north outside of Roanoke. Then another one on 81 south coming back. The last bear was a nice un. Bet it would weigh around 400 pounds.
A real shame they were taken out by traffic.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
They were running em hard is Pisgah today crossed paths with 3 different loads dogs one had just struck stopped and just listened to em go for bit on way out no shot though

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Wait a minute..... you didn’t go bear hunting today because you went to the NCHF goat ropin’ the other week? 🤨
I couldn’t have said it better. So…yes.

all jokes aside my boss said I could have off if I really wanted to. I’m bout halfway thru my probationary period so my paid days off haven’t kicked in yet so I wanted to make some money. We work 4 tens so I’m happy to go Friday when I’m off. Sorry to let you down tho…

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Fellers I hunt with got a decent one killed mid morning . Dogs got on another one that ran em for the better part of the day. Wouldn’t tree and wouldn’t stay out long enough to get bayed. I’m ready for Friday

RJ1

Ten Pointer
We treed 3 today took out 2, both were boars 1 was 351lb, there other one was 377lb the running was fairly good with all the chases going on for at least 2 hours. The third bear was a really good looking young 150 female be a good breeder in the future. The shooters today were both young folks taking their first bears the 14 year old girl I talked about earlier and 16 year young gentleman on his first bear hunt both will have real good stories to tell when they go back to school.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
We treed 3 today took out 2, both were boars 1 was 351lb, there other one was 377lb the running was fairly good with all the chases going on for at least 2 hours. The third bear was a really good looking young 150 female be a good breeder in the future. The shooters today were both young folks taking their first bears the 14 year old girl I talked about earlier and 16 year young gentleman on his first bear hunt both will have real good stories to tell when they go back to school.
Awesome I was hoping/expecting you to chime in on this thread. Thx for sharing. Nice to hear about getting the youngins involved . Kudos to ya

timber

Twelve Pointer
I couldn’t have said it better. So…yes.

all jokes aside my boss said I could have off if I really wanted to. I’m bout halfway thru my probationary period so my paid days off haven’t kicked in yet so I wanted to make some money. We work 4 tens so I’m happy to go Friday when I’m off. Sorry to let you down tho…

Money is easy to make but there are only so many opening days of bear season. The memories of a opening day bear hunt will probably last a lot longer than the money made that day

SnowMaker

Eight Pointer
Yeah but if Yancey gets squared away nicely with his job, which this is the time to prove himself, that could mean more opening days down the road. Work now play later. Keep you're head up Yancey I'm proud of you

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah but if Yancey gets squared away nicely with his job, which this is the time to prove himself, that could mean more opening days down the road. Work now play later. Keep you're head up Yancey I'm proud of you
Yeah, he's young and already got the major screw ups out of the way.....

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Thank you buddy it paid off. Boss man seem pleasantly surprised that I wanted to work. Plus it helped that the mower deck on the tractor broke and I was able to fabricate some stuff and weld it up to get it fixed. Maybe we will get a Pisgah deer hunt in sometime soon. Meant to ask you…you making snow this year and if so, where

SnowMaker

Eight Pointer
Thank you buddy it paid off. Boss man seem pleasantly surprised that I wanted to work. Plus it helped that the mower deck on the tractor broke and I was able to fabricate some stuff and weld it up to get it fixed. Maybe we will get a Pisgah deer hunt in sometime soon. Meant to ask you…you making snow this year and if so, where
Man I actually recently left my job in the ski industry. Have the means and support of my wife to take some time off and hunt before pursuing another career. I'd hunt deer with you anytime Yancey, would be great. And good for you getting it done with work.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Bear season is plenty long enough missing opening day makes no difference got lots more time kill bear than a deer with gun in that area state plus them dogs will find em
Yessir! Yesterday was a good example. Got the smaller one killed but the bigger wiser one ran the dogs all day without giving the hunters time to catch up and get that bear killed. It’ll be nice to get a hunt in and then wake up the next morning to come meet up with y’all. The boy is excited

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Man I actually recently left my job in the ski industry. Have the means and support of my wife to take some time off and hunt before pursuing another career. I'd hunt deer with you anytime Yancey, would be great. And good for you getting it done with work.
Not a damn thing wrong with that. Had a buddy in the mountains of PA that was a snow maker. I bet being in the deer woods in the cold don’t bother you a bit

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
Sorry man I can't leave it open for misinterpretation! I'd be happy to never again make snow. It was good to me while it lasted but time to move on

"Folks may say I'm crazy, for making all this snow, but I swear before this day is over, you folks are going to see some snow."

(Apologies to Tanya Tucker)