West Virginia proposes longer turkey season

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Paul Johansen, the DNR’s wildlife chief, said the proposal to lengthen the spring turkey season from its current 27 days to 35 days was designed mainly to provide additional days of hunting recreation. Gary Foster, the agency’s assistant wildlife chief, said hunters had complained that starting the spring season a week earlier eliminated a week of prime gobbling activity in late May. The longer season would recoup that week.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I guess I wouldn’t really argue if it’s added at the end of the season but the DNR needs to calm down a little, we are in a fortunate time starting with the cicada hatch in 2017... bird numbers are up but no need to get carried away, the season sits good as it is now.

I’d rather be very conservative with turkey season length and limits,

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I guess I wouldn’t really argue if it’s added at the end of the season but the DNR needs to calm down a little, we are in a fortunate time starting with the cicada hatch in 2017... bird numbers are up but no need to get carried away, the season sits good as it is now.

I’d rather be very conservative with turkey season length and limits,
I couldn't agree more the DNR better be careful trying please hunters to much this is close to them starting season week early which is always risky. Looks like good management woulda said lets wait several years after the earlier start to make another change. As popular as turkey hunting has become people will still hunt that late season dates at least they didn't increase bag limit.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
You sure must know a whole bunch of people in a whole bunch of states to be this concerned....keep check on the pulse of the WVa hunters and let us know how this works out...we gotta know.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
You sure must know a whole bunch of people in a whole bunch of states to be this concerned....keep check on the pulse of the WVa hunters and let us know how this works out...we gotta know.
I'm thinking we better go up there bout April 25th and ask ourselves should be bout right by then nothing like first hand knowledge😁

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
A lot of folks on here seem to travel out of state to hunt turkeys so I thought folks would appreciate states enacting longer seasons

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
they are bucking the trend for many states by adding days. they and NC (youth week) are about the only states that are adding time recently.
Interesting.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
they are bucking the trend for many states by adding days. they and NC (youth week) are about the only states that are adding time recently.
Interesting.
How they really bucked the trend was opening a week earlier every one knows you want most breeding done when season starts. If I'm not mistaken that are only one in recent to do so all the states that have declines are moving opener to later or at least certain areas and public areas to later start due to concern. Which always brings my thought to eastern nc if I were in east even though numbers are well I'd fight like a dog against any earlier opener

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i used to really like VA's season. They opened a week later than NC and stayed open two weeks later. Oh well we all want those easy early birds I guess.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
i used to really like VA's season. They opened a week later than NC and stayed open two weeks later. Oh well we all want those easy early birds I guess.
I think VA late season is better than the early season... at least in the western part

Just my opinion and experience