West Virginia bill would lower buck limit

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I know some folks on here hunt WV

CHARLESTON, W.Va. — Legislation introduced this week at the State Capitol would radically change the rules for deer hunting in West Virginia. It would also dramatically increase the cost of deer hunting in the Mountain State.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Yep I saw that from the WV Bowhunters Association the other day. From what I’ve read, this sounds like a bill that the politicians are fond of, not necessarily biologists or the DNR. I understand wanting to listen to constituents, but the people who study these populations definitely know how to manage them better than the average hunter.

Along with that, that’s a crazy price increase. This coming season I will still be Active Duty and don’t have to buy a license in WV, but after that it sounds like my pockets may be hurting. For me to get a Class X license (hunting, fishing and trapping) plus the extra buck tag I’d be paying over $100. That’s more than what I pay here for a Unified Sportsman + bear stamp + Federal Duck Stamp.

Last edited:

MAM3006

Six Pointer
Yeah, and they also said we would never go to a two buck limit in eastern NC either and look how that turned out.......

Wv67

Ten Pointer
The two buck limit might pass which don’t bother me , that big hike in the license cost won’t happen , they would lose to much money in the long run , and we don’t have nothing here worth paying that much

Im fine with a 2 buck limit but at some point the license cost will become too high. The hardcore guys will pay it but a lot of recreational/occasional guys will say forget it. $18 to $48 is quite a jump. More than double is a bit much.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
No license increase , just a two buck limit is being voted on

They are the next state to lower buck limits

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Just the clarify the bill DID NOT pass due to the DNR agreeing to vote on a reduced limit.

The DNR is just voting on the 2 buck limit

greenoakl

Six Pointer
Well at least they will see a big improvement in their deer heard when they go to the 2 buck limit just like we have in eastern NC.

labman63

Ten Pointer
I grew up in WV. When I was in high school I think it was 1 deer with a bow and 1 with gun was it. Bucks only during the 2 week gun season. Might have been only bucks during bow season but can't remember.