Went for a ride

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
We went for a ride today. I have been wanting a .22 WMR rifle. Went to Mackey's and they had a CZ lux Training rifle and a Marlin DU commemorative in .25-20 follow us home. I have been wanting a .25-20 Marlin for years never could find one at a decent price in a shop or on line. I was stoked. Got a few hundred cheaper than I had bid before. The .25-20 has a small Weaver scope that is, to my surprise, clear. Oh, yes they shoot great accurate. I love the sights on the CZ.IMG_20210119_201107472~2.jpgIMG_20210119_200148174~2.jpgIMG_20210119_200700698~2.jpg

Last edited:

.35Rem

Eight Pointer
We went for a ride today. I have been wanting a .22 WMR rifle. Went to Mackey's and they had a CZ lux Training rifle and a Marlin DU commemorative in .25-20 follow us home. I have been wanting a .25-20 Marlin for years never could find one at a decent price in a shop or on line. I was stoked. Got a few hundred cheaper than I had bid before. The .25-20 has a small Weaver scope that is, to my surprise, clear. Oh, yes they shoot great accurate. I love the sights on the CZ.View attachment 59330View attachment 59331View attachment 59333
Saw that DU rifle there last Saturday when I dropped in after a few weeks out of town. Looked like it wanted to follow someone home sitting there all alone in that back corner. Nice rifle!!!

Reactions: DRS

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Nice rifles....Im not familiar with the 25-20 but love the lever gun.
Is it a varmit cartidge or big game?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
was there anything left to eat on the squirrels if you were carrying it deer hunting?

I have no knowledge of this round

oh heck ya,,, punched a hole through the heads,, and if I barely missed it barked them good - even shoulder shots were not much worse than .22 rimfires and DEFINITELY less damage than the .17 HMR

oh I know,, barking don't work supposedly,,,

works for me though,,, so far have done it with that 25-20, a .308 (big ol' norther Wisconsin grey squirrel during deer season),,, and a .45 round ball

Last edited:
Reactions: DRS

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Many years ago my uncle Bob Bracewell killed a Sambar deer that swam to the mainland from St Vincent's Island above Apalachicola Florida with a Winchester 94 25-20. They found his track and put dogs him and he killed him running.
Not too unusual back then to find Sambar stags swimming during the rut but very unusual for a paraplegic in a wheelchair. Yep, my uncle was paralyzed from his chest down.
My Mom still has the antlers on a plaque in her den.
UFDC Home - All Collection Groups

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Nice rifles....Im not familiar with the 25-20 but love the lever gun.
Is it a varmit cartidge or big game?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk
Sorry so late. It is a small game/varmint cartridge 60to 86 grain bullet, 2300 fps and 1600 fps. It has been used to kill deer for sure. Deer the size we have here and keep shots close and put them where it counts no doubt it would work. I got it for squirrels and coyotes mostly. It will be my woods walking rifle.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
But when the SHTF will you be able to find 32-20 ammo let alone 25-20?

Just saying!

:panic::panic::panic::panic::panic:
Takes less lead to make a bullet. Works good with BP, since that is what powder was originally used. Just need primers. Uses small amounts of powder. Can reload cheaper than some are selling .22 rim fire. Factory ammo not as hard to find as some others. Done picked up a couple boxes from big box stores, imagine that. I could use some small rifle primers though.