Well, That was fun

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Saturday I was at Instructor Training for the 4H Shooting sports getting my muzzleloader certificate. I've shot an inline about 3 times, that's it.

The instructor went over the pieces and parts and the all the information to get us started. He had 7 rifles, from a flint lock, to about 5 percussion cap guns and one inline. I started with a Hawken Style rifle with the set trigger. He explained how the set trigger worked and how the front trigger had about a half a pound of pull. I got the rifle aimed, pulled the set trigger, straighten my trigger finger out and Laid it against the . BANG. The freaking thing fired with out me hardly getting my finger on the trigger good. He laughed, I laughed, and he said, well, I'm glad we got that out of the way. I said yeah, Cause I probably just killed some one across the woods cause I have no idea where that one went.

The flint lock was fun. It never miss fired all day long like I've heard they would.

It was a great experience and I'm glad to be a part of it.

Give you an idea of what we are shooting: 60gr powder and patch and ball.

We had a great time and burnt up a lot of powder. I'm glad it was his!!!!!

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
My stutz rifle (short barreled flintlock rifle) has a set trigger, and its a breather.

The grandkids like it. The gun is light (because its short) and kicks like a mule, barks like a hellhound and spits fire.

Everything a kid enjoys.

They can burn up some powder too, and unfortunately, its mine.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah, I have one like that. After the set trigger, the pull is measured in ounces not pounds. Don't even touch it until you're on target. It's not a flinter though.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
There is a lot of misinformation out there about flintlocks, usually from someone who doesn't know very much...The key to a good flintlock is in a quality lock and the size and location of the touch hole..

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah, I have one like that. After the set trigger, the pull is measured in ounces not pounds. Don't even touch it until you're on target. It's not a flinter though.
after the 1st rifle, The other 2 with set triggers were shot carefully.

The main 2 rifles that they are looking to carry back to the Nationals this year are both using peep sites. I'm sure that increases the accuracy a lot.