Well........ some things still amaze me

JFH3006

Ten Pointer
I do not know what is happening but something is definitely happening to the turkey population. I will admit that I have not hunted much but just looking around I am not seeing any turkeys. That is the south end of Halifax and Nash county. Several places that I know nobody hunts and u could ride by and see a turkey or two but now they have DISAPPEARED.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
My take is that several years ago, ZG brought forth his concerns. When someone with his decades of experience, especially in specific locations makes open claims I tend to listen. He never offered a reason why he feared there would eventually be no turkeys in his area, but his concerns came to fruition and about right on schedule.

Woodmoose is no doubt correct that there is often a population explosion and then a reduction down to sustainable populations. The question I have is why do some areas appear to be unable to sustain ANY turkeys?

I'm blessed to be in a HOT spot! If I can kill one, it's a definite HOT spot! But over probably 10 to 15 years I have gone from seeing LARGE (30-40 birds) flocks when deer hunting, to seeing five or 6 now. I'm not panicking, because of Woodmoose's philosophy, but I'd be crushed if we didn't see a track or feather or live bird 10 years from now.

I would imagine, the NCWRC at least flies around and looks at flocks from time to time to try and get a count, and doesn't just go by the hunters harvested reports.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I would imagine, the NCWRC at least flies around and looks at flocks from time to time to try and get a count, and doesn't just go by the hunters harvested reports.

flying around most of the state wouldn't help,,, to much vegetation,,,

the NCWRC does a survey every summer (I participate as do many others),,, mainly to count poults, but also logs hens and gobblers,,,, I expect it gives them a fair insight into the overall population across the state

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Mike Seamster told me himself he expected Caswell and Rockingham to peak and then stabilize within 10 to 12 years. That was in 1997 when he told me that. Rockingham County actually continued to peak far after that. He also told me that parts of Harnett would never have turkeys . I was not able to start hunting the birds around here till 2016. The season came in 1998. Got 2 birds that first year over on the Cape Fear river and 1 the next year on Barbecue creek. Took 17 years for the birds to fill in the area where I live. I actually believe they just underestimated the number of people who would be turkey hunting back then. I expect changes to come in our season in 8 to 10 years from now if not earlier .

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Mike Seamster told me himself he expected Caswell and Rockingham to peak and then stabilize within 10 to 12 years. That was in 1997 when he told me that. Rockingham County actually continued to peak far after that. He also told me that parts of Harnett would never have turkeys . I was not able to start hunting the birds around here till 2016. The season came in 1998. Got 2 birds that first year over on the Cape Fear river and 1 the next year on Barbecue creek. Took 17 years for the birds to fill in the area where I live. I actually believe they just underestimated the number of people who would be turkey hunting back then. I expect changes to come in our season in 8 to 10 years from now if not earlier .
well he was off on many areas and their ability to hold turkeys. when i whined about chatham to him ( in the late 90s we were killing less than 10 a year) he said the chicken poop wouldnt allow turkeys to prosper. He must have thought the coast wasnt great habitat because he didnt restock there.
but he sure hit more of his predictions than he missed.
Less we lose sight of the progress in NC I was looking at some old mags this week ; one from 1999 when his forecast for NC was that the harvest would be around 5,000 birds. :)
They kill almost that many during youth week now. LOL.

Reactions: jug