Well, my season is over before it begins

ArmyMutt

Eight Pointer
Thanks guys. I'm already shopping for a new one. Need to talk to a lawyer. Insurance company will probably try to offer me squat for my accessories and gear. A quick tally last night showed about $5500 in accessories before taxes and installation and about $2400 in gear. Some of those accessories were installed by me, but I'm not willing to work for free again. The biggest issue is that my kids don't understand why I'm in the hospital, why we missed the first baseball game I was taking my son to, and why we have to cancel their Polar Express trip on the Great Smokey Mountain Railroad. They won't understand why I can't play soccer in the yard with them - this is their first season playing. It's pretty annoying.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep, you will probably have to get an attorney involved before it's done. Your ins co may help with that. But they don't like up paying for add ons. I think I added 10K extra coverage on mine just for that and really don't think that would cover everything. It doesn't take long to spend a bunch...

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I use to ride a lot and way too hard. Paid the price for it. Everything worked out but it was a rough couple months. Now I worry every time I see someone riding. I’m glad you’re ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hunter

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Glad the injury wasn't any worse. Alcohol or not, people just don't see motorcycles. Back in the day when my brother and I got our licenses he was riding the bike back home and I was following in the truck when a lady pulled out and nearly ran right over him. There was only the three of us on a whole half mile stretch and she still didn't see him......

Best of luck with hunting season! As I have gotten older I find that there are a lot of ways to hunt smart with physical limitations.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm glad it wasn't worse. I agree with the other guys that you can still hunt. Just have to figure out what to do if you shoot one. We're pretty much neighbors, too. I live 3 miles outside of Coats.

If you need help on a deer and I am in a position to aid, don’t hesitate to call. I don’t know you and have never met you, but I don’t mind helping if I can. Shoot me a PM if you need a number. I don’t mind looking or dragging a deer being the circumstances have hit you as they have. I’m sure one of these other Harnett fellas would do the same.

haulinbass

Four Pointer
Sorry to hear, EXACT same thing happened to me last year (Feb. 2018) and I missed all of last season. Mine was a texting driver though, I was on I40 in Raleigh. I just moved to Sanford (Olivia). If you want to know anything about the recovery process, send me a message. I also have a bone growth stimulator that cost me around $1800 dollars if your Dr. suggest one, I'll let you borrow it.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks guys. I'm already shopping for a new one. Need to talk to a lawyer. Insurance company will probably try to offer me squat for my accessories and gear. A quick tally last night showed about $5500 in accessories before taxes and installation and about $2400 in gear. Some of those accessories were installed by me, but I'm not willing to work for free again. The biggest issue is that my kids don't understand why I'm in the hospital, why we missed the first baseball game I was taking my son to, and why we have to cancel their Polar Express trip on the Great Smokey Mountain Railroad. They won't understand why I can't play soccer in the yard with them - this is their first season playing. It's pretty annoying.
you should/may receive damages several times your medical costs.
lawyer up if you dont like the negotiation stuff but you are due more than you may expect on this type of settlement.
Not that it helps with your situation but long term it is better for you to get what is due you.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Do it yourself = 1-2x medical costs if you are lucky. Lawyer up = 4-5x plus getting everything replaced.

Merlin

Six Pointer
Sorry to hear this . I know that it's tough missing out on the things with the kids, but glad that you are still here for future activities with them. Hopefully one of those deer across the road will wander by the front porch for you!

Glad to hear you made it out with just an ankle injury. I lost a military friend at Bragg when he was hit on his bike by a drunk driver back in 2015. I cant stand drunk drivers.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
you should/may receive damages several times your medical costs.
lawyer up if you dont like the negotiation stuff but you are due more than you may expect on this type of settlement.
Not that it helps with your situation but long term it is better for you to get what is due you.

Agree 100%. Another thing people overlook is that you will never be exactly who you were a couple seconds before that crash. Your body will pay the long term price, so will your mind. You could possibly be 100x more anxious even driving a car now. Hypervigilance, I believe is the term. Can have an effect on your mood, blood pressure, state of mind... I'm not trying to jinx you or anything. Just want to second that you may get less than you deserve without a lawyer.

I agree with everyone; it could've been worse and I'm glad you made it out alive. So many don't.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Glad you are alive. It could have been worse... And exactly why I quit riding a long time ago. Lots of distracted drivers and zero protection. The girls that ran me off the road never even saw me. They didn't even look. They just pulled out and kept going. Never even hit the brakes. Oblivious to anything on the road.

And this is one of those situations where a good lawyer can really be an asset. Your surgeries/rehab, and lost wages(if you are working) will be significant. It's worth a look IMO.

Last edited:

Ridgeline66

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Sorry to hear it, I sold both of my HD's a few years back, couldn't have fun worrying about some clown texting while driving, miss it a little but not worth it.