Weird stuff my truck is doing

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
#1. Not every day, but probably twice a week, I turn the ignition and everything comes on, except for the engine. No clicking, nothing. I turn it off, try again and boom, engine starts no problem.

#2 has been for ever a year now, even after fixing a brake fluid problem almost 12 months ago. I have to "pump" my emergency brake pedal release ALL the way down to the floor, sometimes 6-7 times, to get it to release and let me go about my day.

Any thoughts?

2011 Ram Cargo Van with the 3.7 motor.

Thanks!

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Doesn’t really fall in the “Truck” category........wanna be .....at best!!

Flaky battery can cause crazy stuff these days.....

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I dislike some of you. The freaking TITLE to my ride is described as "TRUCK".

Are you trying to help me out or not?

I replaced the brake switch after about 20 minutes of work after the brake lights never went off......a few months ago.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I was going to make a smart ass comment about it being a Dodge...but that’s already out of the way.

Hope you get the issues resolved.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sorry Brian that I have nothing in the form of help with your issues. But, you gotta realize it is a dodge, it's not actually a truck (regardless of title status), and you probably have more miles on it than it's supposed to live through anyway.. Most of those are disposable units at about 100K.
Hopefully somebody can help you out and steer you in the right direction of getting the problems solved, even if it is to a GM dealer for a replacement... ?

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Sometime, my Tundra will crank and cut right back off. All has to doe with the smart key, wipe off key then it works fine. I have no idea other than that. Well, nothing other than replacing the switch.

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
#1. Not every day, but probably twice a week, I turn the ignition and everything comes on, except for the engine. No clicking, nothing. I turn it off, try again and boom, engine starts no problem.

Any thoughts?

2011 Ram Cargo Van with the 3.7 motor.

What if you turn the key, everything comes on except for the engine, and you hold the ignition switch to the starting position 15-30 seconds? Does the engine start then? (Almost like a diesel waiting for the glow plugs to warm).

If so, I'd look into changing the ignition switch...

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I think that beaver you were posting about a few months ago is sabotaging your ride!
They've caught 3 as of today. I saw the news this weekend Cary roads are being damaged due to beaver dams.

Thanks for the helpful replies.......bot of you. ??

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
I'd ask on the mopar or/and dodgetruck forums if it was me.
That's why I belong to the chevytruckforum and f150forum and volareforum and toyotatechforum and tahoeownerforum, I like to go where there is THE MOST people to pool info from, that have MOST LIKELY seen my problem.
Hope this helps.

double

Twelve Pointer
My jeep commander also a dodge does that occasionally i have been told it is either a bad ground cable near the starter or one of the big ignition bus fuses. I replaced the fuse and have not had the problem since. Knock on wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
WELL, what did you find out the problems were?

I LIKE your enthusiasm!!!

Ignorance is Bliss?

I've noticed the not starting seems to be when I'm on a short incline?

The E brake has made my left calf impressively larger and stronger than my right calf.

Haven't taken the truck to the shop......yet.

#1 could be the starter or a battery connection or ignition switch going bad . I would start with the connections and making sure they didn't have a pile of dried up green corrosion on them. #2 dont set the e brake.;) You drive a van or a truck? Big difference. <iframe width="640" height="360" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: