Weight loss 2019

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Start now. This is what we do to ourselves generally speaking. We set an arbitrary date and the day comes and goes with a new excuse. Why can't you make a better eating choice for lunch today? Not picking on you, just using your post as an example of a mindset that isn't committed to making a change NOW.

because me and my wife are starting an exercise program together and starting the Paleo diet and tracking it together with our chiropractor. I have already began watching what I eat but the REAL program starts Sunday morning with breakfast.

hillbillypossum

Six Pointer
I started ......again..... on January 1.........no certain diet plan.....no carbs.....no sugar period..no beer....very high protein with dairy fats.....sweets were always my downfall. Started at 222.2lbs Jan 1 and weighed in on Tuesday of this week at 211.2......I quit smoking 2.5 years ago and put on 25 lbs shortly there after.....I want that gone first and by then I hope my eating habits have permanently changed allowing for a continuous weight loss to around 175...... good luck to all.....I am determined to get it done this time!
No more knobcreek

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Beer is a diet killer! I have buddies that diet all week so they can BEER all weekend!! I am trying to make a permanent change in my diet.....and when my weight goal is achieved....I will be able to splurge occasionally......

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Now that I'm getting close to the big 60 and have a family history of heart disease my Doctor whom I really like said that I need to start thinking about "getting in shape"...I politely explained that I have been doing my part to get in shape....round is a shape.....he wasn't amused. :unsure:

firedawg60

Twelve Pointer
I had let myself go way too long. In the past 13 months I have lost a total of 126 lbs. Mostly by high protein and low carbs (nothing white,no bread or potatoes soft drinks or sweet tea etc...) with some sporadic walking. My eating habits have done a 360 and am feeling good. However in the past month I've been at a standstill and need to loose about 20 more. It seem the only time there is a change (loss) is when I "shock" my system by eating outside my norm. I am starting to exercise more and am sure that will help. Not to hijack thread but and suggestions are appreciated.
Sounds like the dieting worked well but you have hit a wall with it alone. Adding in some serious exercise while maintaining the diet should easily get you the other 20 pounds. Cardio five days a week.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I hit my lifetime high this year at 278. I do need to work at it but I need to self-motivate to start the process. Anytime someone else tries to "help", it motivates me in the wrong direction.

Briargoat

Ten Pointer
I’ve got to get my weight under control. I’m embarrassed to say how Out of shape I’ve gotten. Depression along with an eating disorder is a bad combo. Started logging my meals into MyFitnessPal and counting calories so hopefully it’ll work.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I had let myself go way too long. In the past 13 months I have lost a total of 126 lbs. Mostly by high protein and low carbs (nothing white,no bread or potatoes soft drinks or sweet tea etc...) with some sporadic walking. My eating habits have done a 360 and am feeling good. However in the past month I've been at a standstill and need to loose about 20 more. It seem the only time there is a change (loss) is when I "shock" my system by eating outside my norm. I am starting to exercise more and am sure that will help. Not to hijack thread but and suggestions are appreciated.
Seen you at school the other day for the 1st time in awhile. I hardly recognized you....good job on the weight loss!

sent from...... Tapatalk

redbow

Ten Pointer
It sounds like exercise is the missing piece my friend. Good luck!

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
Exercise is moving your body. Exercise is good.
Training is exercise with a PURPOSE. Training is better.
But for fat loss ... your diet is what's going to make the difference.

I am not a fan of long slow cardio. It targets type I muscle and burns both fat and muscle. I am a fan of muscle / strength building. Muscle burns fat 24/7. You can muscle build and get short intense cardio at the same time. And you look better and are stronger.

Last edited:

23mako

Ten Pointer
I've found I get the biggest benefit from cardio doing 5 rounds of tabata training. It can be done really with anything but the jest is to do 20 seconds of extremely high intensity, followed by 10 seconds of rest, for a total of 8 rounds. Take a minute or two off and do another round.

Beside the tabata training, I do almost exclusively bodyweight exercises like pullups, dips, push ups, speed squats etc. I've found that doing slow bodyweight stuff has really strengthened my joints unlike weightlifting ever did.

Good luck to everyone trying to lose weight. I know it can be hard but if you get through the first few weeks it becomes a lifestyle.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Exercise is moving your body. Exercise is good.
Training is exercise with a PURPOSE. Training is better.
But for fat loss ... your diet is what's going to make the difference.

I am not a fan of long slow cardio. It targets type I muscle and burns both fat and muscle. I am a fan of muscle / strength building. Muscle burns fat 24/7. You can muscle build and get short intense cardio at the same time. And you look better and are stronger.
yes but---see those old posts about shoulder issues and their causes.
I just cringe watching guys and their unsupervised strength training in the gym.
long and slow cardio is a better path to fitness for most. Fitness being fitness age versus true age and heart health.
but maybe you don't look as good. :)

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
Yeeeaahhh ... I'd rather have the body of a sprinter / nfl RB than the body of a marathon runner. The marathon runner is an extreme, I know. The sprinter / nfl RB example is not. Anyway, that is my point. :)

BackCreek

Spike
I started KETO 10 months ago at 288lb within a 7mo. period I lost 77lb. I've relaxed the past 3mo and introduced "some" carbs back in but still certainly pay attention to what I'm doing. I have maintained well and I've gained only 3 of the 77lb. back and that is even with Christmas holidays and all. Before KETO my Dr. was about to put me on medication for diabetes, blood pressure, and cholesterol, now my blood panels are absolutely perfect! blood pressure is perfect etc. I have heard some negative things about KETO but I cannot say any myself. It was easy for me to do, it has been easy to maintain, and the results and phenomenal. I feel great and well I didn't look that great to begin with.......

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What is the best source on learning about KETO?
I just googled it up and read about 3 different articles about it.......just to make sure it was all the same....then really paid attention to the foods you can have and what you need to avoid ......lost 11 lbs first week......got to start exercising to get it really going

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I stepped on the scales on Sept 1 and weighed 238 lbs. I am 6’ 2” but that is the heaviest I have ever been. So, I started watching what I eat and when I stepped on the scales this morning, I weighed 222. My goal is to lose a pound a week and it is working well.

I keep up with everything I eat with the APP: My Fitness App. I keep it under 2200 calories a day. It honestly has been easy. However, I have leveled out and now need to add exercise to get to my goal of 200lbs. I plan to do this by starting on the elliptical 30 mins a day and then go from there.

The 2200 calories per day max was set by figuring my weight, goals, timeline and goal to change my eating habits over time for long term success rather than an immediate crash diet. It is working

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I tried keeping up with that app last year......problem for me was the stuff I was eating was still carb loaded.....glad it is working for you.....

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
Be care with some of these high protein/high fat-low carb diets. You lose weight but shoot up you cholesterol levels. This is was causes atherosclerosis. Recent 2018 study showed Keto diets 4x mortality rate compared to Mediterranean diet (low carb/low fat).

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Be care with some of these high protein/high fat-low carb diets. You lose weight but shoot up you cholesterol levels. This is was causes atherosclerosis. Recent 2018 study showed Keto diets 4x mortality rate compared to Mediterranean diet (low carb/low fat).
I guess I am more no carb/low fat..... I am eating grilled chicken, venison, lean beef and pork, eggs , fat free skim milk, lots of salad, good Veggies..... not eating a lot of fatty foods.... already on cholesterol meds and blood pressure meds....hoping to get off of the BP meds by March..... basically I cut out my carbs and broke my sugar habit.....it’s working so far and hopefully with no bad side effects

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
If you do decide to eat a carb like bread, throw a glob of peanut butter on it, while the bread breaks down quickly into sugar, the peanut butter slows the process down since it takes longer to break down the protein
I plan to try and get down to a slim 230 this year (again) and will likely try and sneak to the gym during work hours and i watch what i eat trying to keep it down to 2400 cal. When i was on the road for weeks/months at a time and living in hotels it was easy to drop the weight with just a 2400 cal diet a day. Much harder at home for some reason

BackCreek

Spike

I thought the same thing as my cholesterol was high before I started KETO. I was very afraid of it skyrocketing but it actually did just the opposite. The only negative effect my Dr. saw was my good cholesterol dropped 5 points to which she told me to eat more red meats and cheese (she didn't know at that time I was on KETO). Obviously different types of food affects people in different ways but I think the key is "natural". Getting back to the natural fats and getting away from all the crap we stuff into our bodies today. Now I DO NOT cook in lard as is said you can do in KETO, I use olive oil, coconut oil, butter, and an air fryer. When I have to utilize a breader type material for meat I grind up pork rinds, roll the meat in egg white and bread the meat with the pork rinds. I watch the vegetables I eat and add fats with butter, organic whipping cream etc. I never go on the inside isles of the grocery store!!!! Like I said in my previous post my blood work looks better now than it has looked in 25yrs. From my regular M.D. to my Cardiologist they are all in agreement "keep it up, its obviously working for you. All tests look great".

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thought I’d share this in case it might be of interest / help to anyone.
Retired 7 years ago at 227#.....which was not huge being 6’3”….but was worried I might put on even more weight in retirement.

So I spent the 1st year on a strict 2000 calorie / day diet, using a little calorie tracker software program every day…permanently changed my eating habits by 100% eliminating fast foods, and desserts that had real sugar in them.

Gradually / permanently dropped 30 pounds during that 1st year (227 > 197)…still use the calorie tracker every day, step on the scales every morning, and after 6 years since that weight loss, I’m still right at it…ie: weighed 198 this morning.

Never would have had the awareness or been able to control my food intake this long if I was not tracking calories every day…and as a side effect, have been amazed at how many calories I now have memorized about a lot of different foods, which helps get through the day.

A good example…while out running errands, my wife might want to stop at Backyard Burger for a quick lunch…and if I know I’m already at 700 out of 2000 calories for the day, I’ll know I can’t sit there and eat a 900 calorie burger with her at noon.

Anyhow…we can all go on crash diets but without some sort of permanent changes to our habits, the weight usually creeps right back on…tracking my calories every day has been what worked for me for 7 years now, so thought I’d mention it.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
Negative ghost rider! Can’t give up everything! It’s better to have 3 mixed drinks w diet mixer than to drink 10 Natural Lights and that was my MO at our weekly cornhole games

Spirits like whiskey, bourban, gin, vodka, etc don't have sugars or calories, which is why they are part of keto or No Sugar No Grain diets. Just a friendly aside. Drink them on the rocks or neat and you can roll calorie free.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Spirits like whiskey, bourban, gin, vodka, etc don't have sugars or calories, which is why they are part of keto or No Sugar No Grain diets. Just a friendly aside. Drink them on the rocks or neat and you can roll calorie free.

< snip >

…..calories from alcohol, and range in calories from 65 calories from a 1-ounce shot of 80-proof vodka to 83 calories for a 1-once shot of 100-proof vodka, rum, gin or whiskey, to 100 calories for a 1.5-ounce shot of tequila…..

https://www.livestrong.com/article/32276-types-hard-alcohol-sugars-carbs/

BackCreek

Spike

My wife’s go to is sparkling flavored water (mostly coconut) vodka, lime, and a mint leaf. I’ll just go on the rocks lol