Weed whacker long tail mud motor.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
my canoe will do about 5 mph with my trolling motor. never tried a gas weedwacker motor on it, but i doubt it would do anything except make it more noisy.

my canoe will do about 5 mph with my trolling motor. never tried a gas weedwacker motor on it, but i doubt it would do anything except make it more noisy.
Thats what i was curious about. if you cant get any more speed out of it then itd just be easier to do the trolling motor

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I tried it once on a what was basically a square back canoe. It wasn’t a weed wacker, those don’t have the power to do much better than paddling. I had a long tail kit with a 5hp motor. It works but it was way to much leverage for a canoe and not worth the hassle.

I tried it once on a what was basically a square back canoe. It wasn’t a weed wacker, those don’t have the power to do much better than paddling. I had a long tail kit with a 5hp motor. It works but it was way to much leverage for a canoe and not worth the hassle.
Thanks for the info. I think I might just have to suck it up and paddle

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
58a1d1c531193ea09f43dbf7d322d024.jpg

Works like a champ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks for the info. I think I might just have to suck it up and paddle
Displacement speed on a canoe is 1.34x(Square root of length of waterline.) 14-15 foot canoe that's about 5 mph. Canoes are displacement hulls about like sailboats; the hulls struggle to get beyond that displacement speed.

Go much faster than that it will get frighteningly unstable, and I'm not certain how fast you could push it anyway. The advantage to something like killerhamilton's setup is never getting bogged down in the weeds.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
mudskipper motor.....I got one. can run in very very shallow water up rapids...........

Think I spent 300 on the mudskipper part. The Motor is a Honda 6.5 hp Horizontal shaft that I got used. Dont use those chinese motors as they are garbage.

Last edited: