We need a new push of birds

kahunter

Eight Pointer
I hope this weather pushes some birds in. We went from rolling along pretty well and having some strong and consistent hunting to an abrupt drop off. Still killing a few but nothing like we have been. My open water spots are dead and birds just up and left our ponds. Went yesterday expecting a great morning on open water and didnt see much at all. Wish this cold was a week and not 2 days but its better than nothing. No one I know is killing ducks. Anyone seen new birds or heard some better reports than I am hearing?

TH80

Eight Pointer
It’s been slow for us all year. Saw more in the swamp Saturday morning than what I’ve been seeing but all were high. All I could do was watch and never fired my gun. Second skunk of the season. I haven’t been to the coast since all I’m hearing is no ducks there either. If things don’t get better at the coast I may not rent that land anymore.

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
Lol I didn’t hear much my way but heard currituck was very good yesterday.
I hope this weather pushes some birds in. We went from rolling along pretty well and having some strong and consistent hunting to an abrupt drop off. Still killing a few but nothing like we have been. My open water spots are dead and birds just up and left our ponds. Went yesterday expecting a great morning on open water and didnt see much at all. Wish this cold was a week and not 2 days but its better than nothing. No one I know is killing ducks. Anyone seen new birds or heard some better reports than I am hearing?

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
Storm last weekend filled up several of the impoundments, marsh ponds and coastal swamps. Most likely pulled some of the puddle ducks off of the sounds and rivers.

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
I saw a lot of ducks yesterday morning. Spot that is usually good. Haven’t seen a duck there all year, until yesterday.
This spot is usually a good indicator of new birds in the area.
Hopefully not a fluke.

TH80

Eight Pointer
You know it’s bad when you’re on a golf course and there’s no ducks or geese. There’s usually a bunch on this course

gone_huntin

Four Pointer
We saw probably a dozen ducks and somewhere close to 4 dozen geese this past Saturday on a pond in the piedmont of NC. Ended up with a couple common mergansers and 3 geese. A buddy of mine got his first duck (merganser) and goose so that was fun to watch.

TomstoSwans486

Four Pointer
I hunted yesterday, broke ice to get in the marsh which is always fun. Saw more mallards and more wood ducks than a week ago. Also, finally had a group of 8 ringnecks burn the hole. They circled twice and locked in, was a beauty to watch them work. BUT, my luck have it though - I shot and knocked feathers off one, pulled a second shot, same thing....realized I only had 2 shells in the gun. They worked and flew off giving me the proverbial "Adios Idiot"!! Left empty handed, but also saw hundreds of red-shouldered blackbirds, an osprey, cooper's hawk and many doves. Can't complain...getting skunked while shooting is the shooter's fault, not mother natures'! Hoping after this Sunday's blow we get a good push. I'm seeing -20 wind chills in NY, PA. That's what we need to finish!

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I was surprised earlier this week as well, after the cold fronts we’d had and the good hunting just a few days before it seemed to drop off for no reason. Looks like this weekend may help us out a little bit

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Went fishing today in an area where I would’ve thought to see some birds if there was a push ahead of this storm and did not see a single duck. Nothing new on any of the refuge ponds and city lakes around my area either.

Rexm0311

Spike
Went scouting yesterday around midday and ended up seeing more woodies than expected for the location and time of day. I think this front coming in should push them. We'll see tomorrow morning

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Saw several groups of ringnecks,teal and Woodies this morning. Only birds that came in were 1 goose and 4 mallards. Killed goose mallards we're a bit to fer.

TH80

Eight Pointer
Saw half the ducks today as last Saturday. Hunted the same swamp just another section of it. Killing one or two a hunt is getting old but better than none and only had two skunks all year.

Fatkid

Eight Pointer
Finally stated seeing mallards and black ducks on Monday and Tuesday in the areas I’ve been seeing only wood ducks. I noticed numbers slipping mid week as I was driving around but didn’t hunt again until Friday. By then even the wood ducks were gone everywhere I’d been regularly seeing them all season. Only saw 4. Never fired my gun. Went and hunted the coast Saturday and got to one of my favorite spots that always produces this time of year. No one was setup within a mile or better (should have been my first clue). Saw plenty of ducks for a good hunt but nothing would get closer than 250 yards from the marsh. Saw 20 or so rigs hunting on the way in. Heard a maximum of 3 dozen shots (not volleys) all morning, probably closer to 20 total shots.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Hoping this front this weekend will bring in some new birds, but looks like it’s going to make it hard to go where I really want. Hoping the forecast will calm down a little for Friday or Saturday morning

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Pretty sizable migration of birds right now flying west to east over Pitt County. Thousands of birds looks like snow geese or swans?

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
1642699750972.jpeg
I’m holding out for these new hybrids…. Then I will go hunting ducks again….. this guy has a secret spot…… Glenns a good guy….. couldn’t resist

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
which? big difference in them
week between Christmas and New Years i saw hundreds of swans in a few fields along the 401, drove it again last Thursday and none so i expected them to be gone south. With the recent snow we got as well, and the cold spell a lot of hard water was created pushing birds away
And really swans are just Italian snow geese

nettereo16

Six Pointer
Pretty sizable migration of birds right now flying west to east over Pitt County. Thousands of birds looks like snow geese or swans?
There's a daily migration of seagulls off Falls lake, they head north, I guess to the city lakes up there? :ROFLMAO: