Waved the white flag

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
I know you and I have talked about this before Jim.

To me, it's about accomplishing objectives.
When I go Turkey hunting, my objective is to kill a turkey, and spend the least amount of time possible doing so. So I use the most effective legal means possible. If that's a rifle, then that's what I'll use.

As to the Texas question, I know back years ago when I was hunting down there, you could absolutely kill turkeys with a rifle. And I did on multiple occasions.
It’s not your fault they made a stupid law.

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
To me, it's not a stupid law.
It's a law that I take full advantage of.
I rather enjoy being able to use a rifle. Makes it much easier for me to accomplish my objective.
Well to each their own...enjoy.
I don't hunt Virginia anyway.
Had to be a political thing to get that passed though...those pesky turkey birds. Let them chut them with a rifle.

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
What about a Kentucky long rifle? Is that ok
Not in my world, but I don’t make the law.
I guess coming from an area that had zero turkeys the first half of my life, the law did everything possible in
the turkey’s favor, for them to survive and thrive. No turkey with a rifle and no hen killing…unless with a beard.
Just common sense things.:)

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Not in my world, but I don’t make the law.
I guess coming from an area that had zero turkeys the first half of my life, the law did everything possible in
the turkey’s favor, for them to survive and thrive. No turkey with a rifle and no hen killing…unless with a beard.
Just common sense things.:)
Common sense would say TSS is more deadly and precise than a Kentucky long rifle tho

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Kinda hard to say that there’s no birds and the season needs to be closed on that kind of sampling.

And I know you live there. And you’re not seeing them from the road much. But not many people are anymore. Field turkeys get bothered immediately if they step out in sight of a road. They’re a lot harder to see in a cutover, so they get messed with less. Goes with my prior observation that they’re spending more time in thicker cover, for a variety of reasons. Making them appear more scarce than they actually are.

Again, right now, Caswell is still a top 10 county in the state for gobblers killed per sq mile. While it’s not what it once was, the county as whole is still a very good/great place to hunt.
i dont know where they spend their time. Depends on options.
But if this state is having record harvests I'm going with they aint avoiding fields too bad. :)
Just listen, look at the kill pics and see where the turkeys are getting killed in highest numbers.

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
But if this state is having record harvests I'm going with they aint avoiding fields too bad. :)
Just listen, look at the kill pics and see where the turkeys are getting killed in highest numbers.
Pics don’t necessarily show where the turkey was shot. I noticed way less field sightings this year. But just my observation of my limited scope.

Reactions: jug

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Pics don’t necessarily show where the turkey was shot. I noticed way less field sightings this year. But just my observation of my limited scope.
that is true but dont you think a bunch of turkeys are killed in this state from tents placed in or around fields?
Are you saying they have learned to avoid fields? I hope you are correct. But I dont think so.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I was just talking about the fields you can see from the rd.

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
that is true but dont you think a bunch of turkeys are killed in this state from tents placed in or around fields?
Are you saying they have learned to avoid fields? I hope you are correct. But I dont think so.
No. I don’t think they’ve learned to avoid fields because of hunting necessarily. If there’s enough pressure, sure. But no, not entirely. But I have seen a decline in field sightings this year with the same amount of wood sign in places I’m extremely familiar with. Such is life I think, and may just be the way this year went. But I do think with the summation of problems, perhaps their patterns change to compensate. At the end of the day, I just try to find them.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
guess coming from an area that had zero turkeys the first half of my life, the law did everything possible in
Just common sense things

I grew up where there were no turkeys to hunt,,,;

The first 10 years of my post high school life, there were no turkeys to hunt without traveling (not an option back then),,,

I rely on the various State wildlife management folks to decide what is right

Turkey eat good

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
I grew up where there were no turkeys to hunt,,,;

The first 10 years of my post high school life, there were no turkeys to hunt without traveling (not an option back then),,,

I rely on the various State wildlife management folks to decide what is right

Turkey eat good
Yes they do eat good. I've had two last 4 seasons...shotgun only. Did use TSS, so that's cheating a little, but all wood's birds
so compensates for TSS. I have no beef with shooting turkeys with a rifle if it's the law...just a dumb law imo.

Last edited:

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Yes they do eat good. I've had two last 4 seasons...shotgun only. Did use TSS, so that's cheating a little, but all wood's birds
so compensates for TSS. I have no beef with shooting turkeys with a rifle if it's the law...just a dumb law imo.
Justifying things you think are cheating shows the issues with keeping track of such nonsense to begin with. We do what we do. Best not to make excuses for it.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
This is not Caswell, but we used to regularly kill 10-12 on the lease I hunt in Northampton. This year - 1.
And five miles away there might be no notable change in numbers. What frustrates us who live and/or hunt here is that at one time you could hunt anywhere and have birds to hunt. Now there are areas without a huntable population. I can probably name a dozen hunters living in the south and southwest portion of the county that quit hunting four or five years ago.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
And five miles away there might be no notable change in numbers. What frustrates us who live and/or hunt here is that at one time you could hunt anywhere and have birds to hunt. Now there are areas without a huntable population. I can probably name a dozen hunters living in the south and southwest portion of the county that quit hunting four or five years ago.
If enough of them quit hunting, there will be birds there in a few years.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
If enough of them quit hunting, there will be birds there in a few years.

This is why I’d be supportive of a reduction in our limit to one per year. Either that or go to county specific quotas. Though my first choice would be to make us pay for tags, which would reduce some pressure as the less committed don’t bother. I really believe that reducing the harvest of gobblers will increase production of new turkeys. And I’m not emotionally capable of stopping at one if I still have a tag left. So I would need a regulation to aid me in that.

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
This is why I’d be supportive of a reduction in our limit to one per year. Either that or go to county specific quotas. Though my first choice would be to make us pay for tags, which would reduce some pressure as the less committed don’t bother. I really believe that reducing the harvest of gobblers will increase production of new turkeys. And I’m not emotionally capable of stopping at one if I still have a tag left. So I would need a regulation to aid me in that.
One bird wouldn’t bother me either. But I’d just go with other people to help them get theirs. It’d be interesting to see how much it lowered the harvest numbers. I don’t think it would cut it half by any means. Maybe a third?

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
One bird wouldn’t bother me either. But I’d just go with other people to help them get theirs. It’d be interesting to see how much it lowered the harvest numbers. I don’t think it would cut it half by any means. Maybe a third?

Yeah, I’d reckon something like that…

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Where I hunt, for the last 3 years I have observed a big field ( 50 acres or more) grow from 20-30 turkeys in that field like a month before season opened in April, to this year 60 turkeys in that field before the opener. This year I saw 9 big grown gobblers in that field before opener. Now, when the season opens, those turkeys disperse those fields and are up to 1/2 mile away and hardly ever are seen in the fields. Most are hens if are seen.....going or coming from nest. I do not believe many of those gobblers were killed because I am in the woods most of the hunting days and have heard very few shots. In a case like this, you would have to say the population is growing and is a good thing. Not much pressure on them, but if there was more hunters after them, those gobblers numbers would be on the decline. Have observed many jakes this year, and believe this should help the numbers next year. With all this being said, it stands to reason that a lot of the decline many are seeing could be many things....more hunters, predators, loss of poults, etc. A turkey has a tough life to survive each year and need all the help we can provide.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
This thread, as previously stated, was sent out as a warning by ZG probably back when Obama was POTUS. Seeing as how ZG is one of the few who influenced me into just trying turkey hunting, I did and continue to value his opinion. Back when he was stating he was seeing a decline, I was less than 30 miles away seeing flocks (during deer season) of 40 to 60 plus birds in a field feeding without much fear.

As 30/06 stated earlier, same area today? 0-2 birds seen in those same core areas during deer season.

I don't have an answer either as to what is causing the decimation of turkeys in Caswell county, but I am truly observing it first hand. I used to be surrounded by gobblers, this year I pretty much had to ambush the one I heard.

KTMan's post I believe is dead on in that just because the data per county shows X = X in kills it does NOT say what ZG has been trying to say for a LONG time! Wild Turkeys are NOT in the same #'s in Caswell county than they were only a few years ago.

What I really wonder is "why?" not the same affect on similar critters (please correct my wrong assumptions)? I have driven past the same couple of Canada Geese this week (Wednesday)

Why hasn't the same decline happened to the Canada Goose gosling population?
  • They nest on the ground or nearby, so nest eaters are a concern to both
  • Their goslings cant fly for a near about same amount of time.
  • Goslings can swim, poults cant.
  • I would think Avian predators probably seek out gosling's as much as pouts.
  • What am I wrong about?
Thank you,

ST8

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
We just aint going in deep enough. :greenjump: :taz: :stir: the title says 13 miles in on NC lands.

if turkeys are moving to less pressure, it supports all of your theories. But I suspect that’s what your point was. I think those that can’t see the future for what it is are blind. I do not believe turkeys can sustain what we have for them as hunters. That’s why I posted earlier that I wouldn’t fight a one bird limit. I’d rather hunt them than not. If a third reduction means I get to be on more kills for more years, regardless of who’s pulling the trigger, than I’m in. I killed one bird this year. It was a hard year. I want to be able to hunt turkeys for the rest of life and see my kids kill them if they want. Turkeys aren’t deer. Folks should realize that.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
That’s why I posted earlier that I wouldn’t fight a one bird limit.

I've posted in the past that if the bird population is dropping, go to an all "draw permit" hunt for turkeys...just as is for swans,,,

but no,,, folks want to complain about "newcomers" (we were all new at one time) and methods - but them same people are hunting every day they can and using modern shotguns and modern shells (TSS, etc),,,,

go to a draw system,,,, problem solved,,,,