Waterfowl season public comment

Gus

Six Pointer
I was also surprised by the survey results the interest to add more days to December. There was definitely interest to add to the end of the season but the Feds don't allow that. The survey might have been unclear in that regard

I'd prefer more days in Nov than Dec as well

I was against this from the start and this is why. This changed for the worst just like we knew it was. If it aint broke dont fix it.
I prefer the inland dates for the coast rather than the coastal dates for the coast. Glad we got the october season but really dont like it being so late. The advantage of October season was you could get on the early ducks. We may as well keep it going through november. It was also a nice way to scratch the itch earlier in the year. This didnt make anything better. It was pushed way too late. Adding the day after thanksgiving is a waste if you ask me. Who hunts the monday after 4 days off? Probably will be one of the least hunted days all year.

So dumb. Proof you survey the general public and you get general public results. It is what it is. Your comments wont change the season parameters its pretty much done. So dumb to mess with it in my opinion.

I thought the survey was a bad idea too.
Thankfully the dates proposed make a lot more sense than the survey results, imo.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Wendell, I knew you weren’t going to like the 2 days in October. You and your group have always taken those 4 days off to hunt and I know I it’s a blast. But it’s apparent you were in the minority opinion based on the survey ...which you knew was probably going to be the case anyway based on your not wanting the survey in the first place. That’s fine, I get it. No problem. We all want things to be tailored around what fits our agenda the best. I thought two of the 4 early October days were a waste based on my schedule. Am I right? Wrong?Who wants to/can get off and hunt Thursday and Friday the first week of a likely hot and humid October split? And shoot mostly wood ducks? I’ll hunt the two days back to back in late October and will see and shoot more and a bigger variety of birds than I would if the season were to open 3 weeks earlier. Coastal birds numbers are much better then than the first of the month.
FWIW, I’ll hunt that Monday after T-giving because I’ll be with family Thursday, maybe Friday if out of town so I like having Saturday to hunt, scout Sunday am, then decide where I’ll be Monday. That day will be no more “wasted” imo than the Thursday of an early 4 day Oct. season.

Guys, there’s really not a significant change, can’t be after all cause it’s NC and the Atlantic Flyway. But it’s what the majority hunters are wanting and I rather get feedback and recommendations from them than ALL the WRC Commissioners that collectively don’t know or understand near as much about waterfowl than us. Just say’n......

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
The water will be crowded at the coast for the Oct split. Inland duck hunters can't hunt at home so they will most likely travel to the coast. I know I will be heading E.

Last edited:

nettereo16

Six Pointer
The water will be crowded during at the coast for the Oct split. Inland duck hunters can't hunt at home so they will most likely travel to the coast. I know I will be heading E.
Yup.... aside from that extra monday on the Nov split, it's the only additional time the zones don't overlap. For some reason I was under the assumption there would be more days where the zones didn't overlap.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Yup.... aside from that extra monday on the Nov split, it's the only additional time the zones don't overlap. For some reason I was under the assumption there would be more days where the zones didn't overlap.

I think the biggest and maybe the only reason for zoning was to change the October season dates between the two zones. Remember, while we have to stick with zoning for 5 seasons, we can change the dates from within the zones each year if we so desire.

Clark

Ten Pointer
Well crap. I kill more ducks in Oct than the rest of the year combined. Now NCWRC is removing that opportunity. What more can WRC do to screw up duck hunting? They keep finding new ways.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Well crap. I kill more ducks in Oct than the rest of the year combined. Now NCWRC is removing that opportunity. What more can WRC do to screw up duck hunting? They keep finding new ways.

No they aren’t Clark, they just added an extra day to your October season man! You’re a traveler, hunt your 3 days west of Raleigh then hope in your ride and come hunt two more days down east the following week. That’s 5 days total compared to 4 had it been left alone. Where’s your beef other than you’ve always been disdainful of anything WRC has done ....geeze you must be a blast to hang around ....🥱

Clark

Ten Pointer
No they aren’t Clark, they just added an extra day to your October season man! You’re a traveler, hunt your 3 days west of Raleigh then hope in your ride and come hunt two more days down east the following week. That’s 5 days total compared to 4 had it been left alone. Where’s your beef other than you’ve always been disdainful of anything WRC has done ....geeze you must be a blast to hang around ....🥱
Of course I’ll hunt both zones. And the weather will probably be cooler 👍. But I question if the woodies will be there in the same numbers as early Oct. I don’t find the ducks nearly as well in Nov-Jan splits as I do in Oct.
And I’ll become happy with the WRC when they get rid of the permits or find a way to replace those lost hunting opportunities-in other words not in my lifetime.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
I got cha man. I’ll bet you’ll have just as good, if not even better hunting those three inland days later in October. I don’t see the woodies making a mass exodus just before the later date. Might even kill an early arriving mallet too.

I think we both will agree that our old haunts will never see consistent bird numbers that we saw years past. Pressure, imo, is the numero uno cause birds don’t use them like they did in the past. Management attempted to reduce pressure by limiting hunt days and hunter numbers, aka the permit system. Bottom line is there are hardly any ducks using there to manage anyway. A one day a week/one hunter permit (read sarcasm) won’t help either if there’s no birds there. I know, public hunting ain’t what it use to be and all out Sucks! I’m really surprised you haven’t joined a club (deer clubs can have some nice swamps), leased some land, or have some friends that invite you in on some decent hunts. Look me up sometime when you’re coming to the Pamlico, might find a seat for you so long as you bring a full glass, lol. 👌

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Please take the time to comment and see if common sense can prevail and we can maybe get a day back on and move the october season a little earlier. A bunch of us are contacting commissioners and officials directly. More info to follow. Thanks!

Last edited:

kahunter

Eight Pointer
I like the days moved later, as did the majority of duck hunters who took the time to complete the survey.
Thats great!
If you did not agree with it, make it known and hopefully we can restore a great waterfowling season that has been around for as long as I have hunted and my father has hunted in NC. If it aint broke dont fix it!

Dingbatter

Four Pointer
I wonder how they are going to do the early season draw hunts? Used to have a chance at 2 draw dates but I doubt they will have hunts on back to back days. Then again they might, don't know don't care. When duck season opens or closes is the least of the issues I have to deal with. Just set the dates and lets go with it.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
I like the days moved later, as did the majority of duck hunters who took the time to complete the survey.
For the record I would be all for the same season on the coast that inland has. 3 days weekend of october 23 sounds good to me.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Contact your commissioners in the areas impacted if you want some semblance of october season to remain. I have a form letter we used that worked well the last time they tried to get rid of october season. Needs to be adjusted for each person but its a good start. I can send to anyone if they would like.

District 1
Kelly N. Davis
P.O. Box 51
Swan Quarter, NC 27885

252-385-1170

District 2
Richard Edwards
1722 Country Club Road
Wilmington, NC 28403
910-279-1983

District 3
Wes Seegars
P.O. Box 1555
Goldsboro, NC 27530
919-739-7501

District 4
Stephen L. Windham
P.O. Box 1489
Wilmington, NC 28402

910-343-0041

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Just heard from the WRC Commissioner’s meeting that the proposed season dates were approved as previously recommended.

Reactions: Gus

shurshot

Ten Pointer
I saw it previously but does anyone know what they are for the inland zone? Can’t find it now

Here ya go. This is in stone now.

Inland Zone
Oct. 21 (Thu) – Oct. 23 (Sat)

Nov. 6 (Sat) – Nov. 27 (Sat)

Dec. 18 (Sat) – Jan. 31 (Mon)

Coastal Zone
Oct. 29 (Fri) – Oct. 30 (Sat)

Nov. 6 (Sat) – Nov. 29 (Mon)

Clark

Ten Pointer
Here ya go. This is in stone now.

Inland Zone
Oct. 21 (Thu) – Oct. 23 (Sat)
Nov. 6 (Sat) – Nov. 27 (Sat)

Coastal Zone
Oct. 29 (Fri) – Oct. 30 (Sat)
Nov. 6 (Sat) – Nov. 29 (Mon)

Well then, I know where I'll be in Oct - unless they close it via permits.

Clark

Ten Pointer
This is so f-ing stupid. Why do they have to mess up something that was perfectly fine where it was. Such a dumb idea.
The three greatest lies:
1. The check is in the mail.
2. I'll respect you in the morning.
3. I'm from the government - and I'm here to help.