Waterfowl season public comment

shurshot

Ten Pointer
WRC should be releasing the proposed seasons to the public for comment before long. The commissioners have been given the recommendation from WRC staff so once they get that all important public feedback, they should then approve something at their April meeting.

This will be the first time NC is divided into zones, Coastal and Inland. From what I’m hearing it appears that both zones will retain the October session but days might be limited to two in the Coastal zone and three Inland. Guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

Dingbatter

Four Pointer
I know the guys in the western part of the state like the early Oct. season but I hardly ever hunt it. Cottonmouths, mosquitoes lack of water or to much water from hurricanes / tropical storms, lack of birds have been reasons in the past. Just not worth the effort for me. Of course they'll put the extra days when I'm working.

nettereo16

Six Pointer
I'm interested to see what they come up with the split zones. I submitted the survey over the summer but don't have any strong opinions aside from I like the October season (I'm in the central part of the state)

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
I know the guys in the western part of the state like the early Oct. season but I hardly ever hunt it. Cottonmouths, mosquitoes lack of water or to much water from hurricanes / tropical storms, lack of birds have been reasons in the past. Just not worth the effort for me. Of course they'll put the extra days when I'm working.
In WNC, early October can be great - much better than late season/third split

cootmayne

Button Buck
I'm interested to see what they come up with the split zones. I submitted the survey over the summer but don't have any strong opinions aside from I like the October season (I'm in the central part of the state)
I would think same as teal...East and west of HWY 17 would be the zones.. Just a guess though. I personally wouldnt mind if they cut back the october season in western zone whatever they end up calling it to 2 or 3 days. I know many people in the piedmont that hunt october season myself included, but rarely do they go all 4 days because of work, etc. I think 2 or 3 days would be good enough but just my opinion.

I think weve missed birds passing through early november the last 2 years. I would like to have all of november open and like dec 20th through jan 20th. Last week of January around here usually isnt as good as many make it out to be. Lots of pairs already forming and ducks dont seem to come to decoys as readily.

Last edited:

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
I would think same as teal...East and west of HWY 17 would be the zones.. Just a guess though. I personally wouldnt mind if they cut back the october season in western zone whatever they end up calling it to 2 or 3 days. I know many people in the piedmont that hunt october season myself included, but rarely do they go all 4 days because of work, etc. I think 2 or 3 days would be good enough but just my opinion.

I think weve missed birds passing through early november the last 2 years. I would like to have all of november open and like dec 20th through jan 20th. Last week of January around here usually isnt as good as many make it out to be. Lots of pairs already forming and ducks dont seem to come to decoys as readily.
Cutting days will have more people out in fewer days. I know several (myself included) that hunt all 4 days. Plus that gives you a buffer for bad weather. I haven’t heard a real good reason for reducing the western early season.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Cutting days will have more people out in fewer days. I know several (myself included) that hunt all 4 days. Plus that gives you a buffer for bad weather. I haven’t heard a real good reason for reducing the western early season.

I think cootmayne made a real valid reason above ....most (save for you and a few others) can’t get out to hunt 4 days in a row, 3 of which are typical workdays. And most don’t have good places where they can bang away 4 days and have good hunts. You and a few others may again be the exception. Remember though, surveys from the public are what’s driving these options/decisions.

Btw cootmayne, the boundary line for the two zones is I-95. That’s already been determined.

Clark

Ten Pointer
I think cootmayne made a real valid reason above ....most (save for you and a few others) can’t get out to hunt 4 days in a row, 3 of which are typical workdays. And most don’t have good places where they can bang away 4 days and have good hunts. You and a few others may again be the exception. Remember though, surveys from the public are what’s driving these options/decisions.

Btw cootmayne, the boundary line for the two zones is I-95. That’s already been determined.
Couple points with respect to WNC gamelands hunters (i.e. me).
First, 'good' hunts are not a requirement or there would be no WNC duck hunters.
Second, the 4-day season is needed because there are more opportunities in Oct than any other time of season. We can hunt gamelands on Wed as opening day, then Thu on select game lands, Fri has limited game lands access but you can find a place if you really want, then hunt gamelands on Sat.
I 'm sure things are different in ENC and/or on private lands.

Bluecord

Six Pointer
I filled out my survey. Im ok with the seasons now, even if they did change some I prob would care personally. I would like to see Sunday hunting, not for me personally bc I hunt weekdays a lot. But for the people working Mon-Fri it’s just not fair, cuts their hunting time in half.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Will be interesting to see how this shakes out. Hope the coast is similar to last year's seasons. 2 day october would be a bummer but atleast we keep it. October season is pretty good on the coast, not just inland. Get ANY type of weather and its fantastic.

nettereo16

Six Pointer
I don't really understand the push to get rid of/shorten the October season.
I find it a lot of fun and unique experience with the leaves on the trees/warmer weather.

It's also nice to break up duck season. The Dec-Jan split feels like it drags on and on and the december days without weather can be very slow.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
I don't really understand the push to get rid of/shorten the October season.
I find it a lot of fun and unique experience with the leaves on the trees/warmer weather.

It's also nice to break up duck season. The Dec-Jan split feels like it drags on and on and the december days without weather can be very slow.
Agreed. Most excuses I hear are its too hot/buggy/snaky. Plenty of ducks around in my experience. Woodies are the most common but we regularly kill teal, gadwall, widgeon, pintail, mallards. Get a little weather and its game on. I would be ok with pushing it back a week or two. Plenty of good hunting on public land as well as no one is hunting yet.
I told my dad they may get rid of it and he was bummed. He has been hunting october season for 40 years.

Clark

Ten Pointer
I filled out my survey. Im ok with the seasons now, even if they did change some I prob would care personally. I would like to see Sunday hunting, not for me personally bc I hunt weekdays a lot. But for the people working Mon-Fri it’s just not fair, cuts their hunting time in half.
I'd like Sunday hunting for a couple of reasons. Not so much for me, I'm retired :) !
Sundays would let me hunt with my son a little more, as he does not like to drive 4 hours to ENC to only hunt a half-day on Saturday (permit system) then drive 4 hours home. Sunday's would give us Sat pm then Sunday am, 3x the hunting to help justify the drive...

Greenhorn

Six Pointer
Sunday hunting would pretty much be the final nail in the coffin where I hunt. No thanks. I'm fine with it in the Western Zone.

la angler

Six Pointer
I don't want Sunday hunting as I feel there's already too much pressure but it will be interesting how all unfolds

Reactions: Gus

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Yeah im against sunday hunting as well. Most people I know who hunt VA arent happy with it up there. My marriage would also be strained.

Had a thought the other day. Keep 4 days in october. Do a friday/saturday then the following friday/saturday. That would be awesome and more people can enjoy it.

Last edited:

Clark

Ten Pointer
Yeah im against sunday hunting as well. Most people I know who hunt VA arent happy with it up there. My marriage would also be strained.

Had a thought the other day. Keep 4 days in october. Do a friday/saturday then the following friday/saturday. That would be awesome and more people can enjoy it.
Sunday hunting works in most other states, just another hunting day for them. But then unlike central NC, they also have ducks...

Like the 2-weekend concept, but I think the federal framework limits the number of splits we can have to 3? Also hoping the east/west zones will have staggered hunting days which would increase opportunity.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Is Sunday hunting for waterfowl even on the books for discussion? If allowed, it would require restructuring the season statewide.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Sunday hunting works in most other states, just another hunting day for them. But then unlike central
Like the 2-weekend concept, but I think the federal framework limits the number of splits we can have to 3? Also hoping the east/west zones will have staggered hunting days which would increase opportunity.

Splitting it up like KA mentioned would indeed be nice but Clark is correct in stating the Feds only allow 3 splits within the framework.

I will venture to guess the two zones will have staggered dates, after all the essence of it is to try and maximize certain hunting times when birds are most prevalent in their area. Let’s say WRC opens the oct. season for 4 days in the Inland zone and 2 days in the Coastal zone, along with keeping them a week apart. In essence for hunters like Clark who will hunt every day in October, you now have an opportunity to hunt 6 days as opposed to just 4. Just like that, we got some “extra” days to take advantage of.

For me, I might go Inland for a hunt one weekend then I’ll head off to the camp down east for the next huntable days, how many ever there might be. The seasons not going to be as kind to everyone as we’d like.

Dingbatter

Four Pointer
I work weekdays and do not want or need Sunday Hunting. I think its been determined that Sunday hunting will actually reduce the chances to hunt by losing some Saturdays .

Clark

Ten Pointer
I work weekdays and do not want or need Sunday Hunting. I think its been determined that Sunday hunting will actually reduce the chances to hunt by losing some Saturdays .
"Sunday hunting will actually reduce the chances to hunt" - must be in Sales/Marketing?

NC does not presently count Sundays against the 60-day allocation. Adding Sundays will retain the maximum 60 day season. Overall hunt days would not be affected.

NC hunted 12 Saturdays in the 20-21 season. Depending on how the season would be restructured, Sunday hunting would reduce the number of Saturdays to 10 and increase the number of Sundays to 10. So, 20 days for the weekenders vs. 12 as it was, a net gain of 8 weekend days (excluding those who choose not to take advantage of the opportunity).

This Sunday scenario is an increase of 8 weekend days and a decrease of 8 weekday days. I would have loved this for the last 48 years when I had work/school weekday obligations as it would have alowed an almost 50% increase in my hunting days, +/- the occasional holiday/vacation day. Now, I'm much more ambivalent as I can hunt weekdays as I choose, unless the Admiral says I need to watch the grandkids. Personally, Sundays would permit me to hunt a few more days with the kids and help justify those long drives to ENC, but at the expense of losing the weekdays when there is relativly less competition.

Last edited:

Bluecord

Six Pointer
I just kinda use the other 40 plus states that allow it as a gauge. I was just thinking of the working man, father/mother/son/daughter time if they’re in school kinda stuff. Once my kids are old enough to hunt they will be in school. I would give anything to double up on time spent with them in the great outdoors, if they choose that life, especially duck hunting it’s me fav. That’s all nothing more, cheers!

Clark

Ten Pointer
Or we understand what back to back weekend days are going to do the ducks.
Makes about as much sense as 'we need to quit hunting Mon-Fri to take the pressure off the ducks'.
Just depends on how much weekday flexibility one has. I can hunt Mon-Fri, so we need to stop Saturday hunting as well.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Makes about as much sense as 'we need to quit hunting Mon-Fri to take the pressure off the ducks'.
Just depends on how much weekday flexibility one has. I can hunt Mon-Fri, so we need to stop Saturday hunting as well.
Absolutely comes down to each persons ability to hunt and when and personal preference. I can hunt weekdays. Sunday hunting will shorten the overall length of my season and honestly hurt my hunting. My wife likes me home on sundays as well and I enjoy the day off honestly. These are the main reasons I am against it.

I also believe another weekend day will make an already tough public hunting situation even worse. You think its bad on the sounds now., wait till we have back to back weekend days for everyone and their brother to be out there. Two days of heavy hitting on even the first weekend and many of these places are going to get blown out very quickly. I know sunday hunting works some places, but I really dont think its the best idea here.

Last edited: