Waterfowl season public comment

Clark

Ten Pointer
NC DMF already got me once this year: posted flounder seasons starting in mid-Aug, so I book the place for a week in Aug. Then DMF changes the opener to Sep. They are pretty bad.
Glad to hear NC WRC was more thoughful...

Clark

Ten Pointer
I wonder how they are going to do the early season draw hunts? Used to have a chance at 2 draw dates but I doubt they will have hunts on back to back days.
You are correct! Early season permit opportunities were reduced from two days to one day. Might cost WRC some revenue...

vibesalive

Button Buck
Yep less opportunities for the public hunter. October season is usally pretty good for most public lands and draw hunts. Real shame what they did
When looking at the permit hunts, I see something different than you. There isn't lost opportunity in general.

The one hunt that was lost in October is replaced by a Saturday hunt in November which was added by reducing the Oct season to two days. Same situation inland.

So, it may be a lost opportunity, but only in October. Opportunity is gained in November. It's a wash.

Last edited:

kahunter

Eight Pointer
When looking at the permit hunts, I see something different than you. There isn't lost opportunity in general.

The one hunt that was lost in October is replaced by a Saturday hunt in November which was added by reducing the Oct season to two days. Same situation inland.

So, it may be a lost opportunity, but only in October. Opportunity is gained in November. It's a wash.
Most permit hunts I have done in the past in october have been consistently pretty good. It was a time I knew the pressure would be a bit less and the birds fresh and with a little scouting you would do very well. These areas are much more hit or miss during the regular season, especially nowadays. I was talking more about quality of hunts than total hunts available. However I am learning over the years most people dont care at all about quality of hunt and just want an easy place to go and this change falls in line with that.

Last edited:

Clark

Ten Pointer
Failed to get any of my draws for the Eastern Oct season. First time I recall not getting any draw at all for Oct. Guessing it was a combination of NCWRC cutting the hunt opportunity in half, and also moving the dates from early Oct to the end of the month caused increased interest?
Damn shame, if you could put up with the heat and skeeters, the early Oct was the best hunting of the year for me.