Waterfowl Mounts

shurshot

Ten Pointer
I’ll say this ….. and I won’t poot on anyone’s individual mounts/taxidermists. But damn, there is a world of difference between your average mount and one done by some of NC’s best. Bottom line is you get what you pay for. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder…. and apparently their pocketbook.

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
I’ll say this ….. and I won’t poot on anyone’s individual mounts/taxidermists. But damn, there is a world of difference between your average mount and one done by some of NC’s best. Bottom line is you get what you pay for. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder…. and apparently their pocketbook.
A buddy of mines famous saying "might as well just pull em out the freezer and show people when they come over"

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
Wigeon is my daughters first duck ever. I killed the pintail on the same hunt so we mounted them together.

Attachments

• DuckMounts.jpg
    DuckMounts.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 26

CBD21

Eight Pointer
All done by Eric Perry another one of the top waterfowl taxidermist in my opinion and does a lot with Mark Benfield

Attachments

• 7E3924BC-7F4F-4878-BC7A-51899A6111B3.jpeg
    7E3924BC-7F4F-4878-BC7A-51899A6111B3.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 27
  • C3210D06-22BF-473E-A049-64698E2F1576.jpeg
    C3210D06-22BF-473E-A049-64698E2F1576.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 28
  • BC907138-547A-4150-ACD2-2DB17CB1E056.jpeg
    BC907138-547A-4150-ACD2-2DB17CB1E056.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 52BDBF8F-467C-4A17-B03D-661F6D7EF1AA.jpeg
    52BDBF8F-467C-4A17-B03D-661F6D7EF1AA.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: TH7

rageslinger

Four Pointer
Love to hear the story on that bird!
That was probably one of the funnest/most miserable hunt I've ever been on. Went to St. Paul to hunt for 5 days. We got to hunt 1 hr the entire time we were there because the weather was so bad. Me and my buddy were the only 2 of the whole group that shot 1 that week. Amazing trip just weather was horrible on St. Paul Island. 60mph winds with 25 ft sea. The day we hunt was 30 mph winds and 15/20 ft seas. It was extremely rewarding to get it though.

WakeHunter32

Eight Pointer
That was probably one of the funnest/most miserable hunt I've ever been on. Went to St. Paul to hunt for 5 days. We got to hunt 1 hr the entire time we were there because the weather was so bad. Me and my buddy were the only 2 of the whole group that shot 1 that week. Amazing trip just weather was horrible on St. Paul Island. 60mph winds with 25 ft sea. The day we hunt was 30 mph winds and 15/20 ft seas. It was extremely rewarding to get it though.
Sounds pretty wild! That trip/hunt is number 1 on my hunting bucket list. Congrats on a beautiful bird!

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
You arent kidding........ huge difference in the quality of work here. Funny thing is maybe $100-$150 separates it. And when you say NC's best, (eric mark and page) what you really mean is some of the worlds best.

Quality is seen long after the price is forgotten.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I've seen some mounts that looked like they were still alive and others that looked like they were dragged behind the truck on the way home. I killed a banded Blue Wing Teal in December of 1978 that was beautiful. The guy who mounted it for me failed to remove all the fat from the bird and less than a year later, the bottom feathers were greasy and rancid smelling. I never let anybody I know carry a bird to that guy.

Jim

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I think that as much as anything it has to do with what they're given to work with.

I have a beauty of a mallard mount. I don't know if I shot it specifically, but I wanted a nice greenhead mount. We were lining birds up for the photo up after the hunt. He looked big relative to the rest of them. His wings weren't broken, feathers weren't disturbed. He was shot over a corn field, so hadn't gotten soggy, hadn't had a dog's mouth on him, hadn't been tossed in a bucket with a bunch of other birds.

WRLawhon

Button Buck
I am waiting for my mallard to get finished up. I am hoping it comes out as good as these up here.