Water Snakes

witler

Eight Pointer
I guess all the rain that we had is bringing them out.
Kill a 4 footer yesterday in flower bed. Then got another 4 footer this afternoon trying to get in the basement. Little 20 ga. Ithaca that I recently got does a real nice job on them.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Had 4 red bellied water snakes doing a courtship ritual yesterday in a dry ditch on my property yesterday. Saw one other and between my two other hunting parters, must have encountered 6 black snakes. Dang things were everywhere this weekend!

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Protected by law snake species:

Eastern coral snake (Micrurus fulvius fulvius)
Eastern diamondback rattlesnake (Crotalus adamanteus)
Carolina pigmy rattlesnake (Sistrurus miliarius miliarius)
Carolina watersnake (Nerodia sipedon williamengelsi)
Eastern smooth green snake (Opheodrys vernalis vernalis)
Northern pine snake (Pituophis melanoleucus melanoleucus)
Outer Banks kingsnake (Lampropeltis getula sticticeps)
Southern hognose snake (Heterodon simus
Timber rattlesnake (Crotalus horridus)

I was about to post the same thing. I hope they weren't Carolina watersnakes. If they are not poisonous let em be. You wont have to worry about mice. If they are poisonous and they are close to young ones and dogs I understand.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

You just as well add several more, they are classified as nongame animals thus it illegal to take or posses them without a permit.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Further regarding snakes:

• – An annual Wildlife Collection License is needed to take or collect 5 or more turtles, lizards or snakes. Collection of 5 or more turtles of the family Emydidae or Trionychidae (basking and box turtles) is prohibited. Limits for the remaining turtles (snapping, mud, and musk turtles) are 10 per day, and 100 per year; and no snapping turtle less than 11 inches (curved top shell length) may be possessed. For reptiles that are endangered, threatened or of special concern, an Endangered Species permit is required.
Right from the 2019 Regulations Digest

• It is not necessary to obtain a Collection License before defending yourself or another from a wildlife threat.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Further regarding copperheads

The copperhead is classified as a nongame species and has no open season. It is unlawful for any person to take, or have in possession, any nongame mammal or bird unless that person has a collection license or is collecting fewer than 5 reptiles or fewer than 25 amphibians that are not endangered, threatened, or special concerned species.

.35Rem

Eight Pointer
Snakes are cool (hate spiders) but I do seem to run into rattlers and copperheads. Not many cottonmouths.

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I wonder how many protected species of snakes are illegally killed in NC each year?

I bet a lot
Every snake I've killed was in self-defense. They all possessed a deadly weapon, aka. knife, gun, bomb or vangs. Never ever killed one I didn't see.

Last edited:

6mm250

Eight Pointer
Corn snek

dkDG2T8.jpg