Watching Bucks Grow - Antler ID

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Over the years I have known several bucks for more than one year. I've gotten trail pictures and identified some bucks for 3 years in a row. There is something about that which can be a real challenge as you might see in these 3 trail pictures. The main identifying feature here is that long brow tine and that seems to be pretty obvious. Getting the 3rd photo would seem to show the buck in older age and he is indeed a very mature buck...... BUT...... if we are trying to follow a certain deer for a few years,14160485.jpgSUNP0014.jpg11020176.jpg careful attention needs to be paid to other features besides the antlers. These are 3 different bucks. The deer in the 2nd photo was killed about 3 years ago, the old buck in the 3rd photo was killed last year and the 1st buck is still alive as far as I know. All 3 lived in the same general area and pictures were taken within half a mile of each other. These bucks carried the same antler trait and might have even had the same mother or father. Just seeing a very similar antler might not prove anything it seems.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
There have been a number of threads where someone asks if it's the same buck. My response in the past is that you should hope not because that means there are two good bucks in the area, not just one.