Warty okra

30/06

Twelve Pointer
OK all you garden gurus, been picking okra for weeks and all has been good. Went down today to pick what was ready and the okra had what appeared like little warts all over them. Little bumps, kinda like what you may get if you weren’t fornicating with classy gals in college…..or so I’ve
been told.

Grown okra for years and never had this problem. Could it be a bug betting in there or some growing condition that can be amended? Should have take. pics but didn’t have phone one me. Chucked all the okra with the bumps, not that hungry.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Have raised a lot of okra but never saw any like you described. I’m thing could be some kind of insect but never had much problem with insects on the okra itself. Usually spray a time or two for insects on just the plant or leaves. But that’s usually with younger plants

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
OK all you garden gurus, been picking okra for weeks and all has been good. Went down today to pick what was ready and the okra had what appeared like little warts all over them. Little bumps, kinda like what you may get if you weren’t fornicating with classy gals in college…..or so I’ve
been told.

Grown okra for years and never had this problem. Could it be a bug betting in there or some growing condition that can be amended? Should have take. pics but didn’t have phone one me. Chucked all the okra with the bumps, not that hungry.

"Little bumps, kinda like what you may get if you weren’t fornicating with classy gals"

Pics of the chics??
Actually, post some pics of the okra if you can. Stink bugs are my suspects. And like @Hunting Nut said. Stink bugs pierce cotton bolls to get to the seed. Do the same with okra I believe. Can be a pretty significant pest in cotton. Okra belongs to the cotton family.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
"Little bumps, kinda like what you may get if you weren’t fornicating with classy gals"

Pics of the chics??
Actually, post some pics of the okra if you can. Stink bugs are my suspects. And like @Hunting Nut said. Stink bugs pierce cotton bolls to get to the seed. Do the same with okra I believe. Can be a pretty significant pest in cotton. Okra belongs to the cotton family.

Heeeeyyyyyy !
That's the exact same page I came up with !
Cool !

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
I took care of the "problem" with an insecticide. Spraying the okra, as well as tomatoes, peppers, eggplants for stink bugs coincided with a moth flight(bollworm/corn earworm...same thing) so I took care of most of the "problem".

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
The article fails to list another couple of pests I've had problems with in the past....fireants! Those little suckers will climb to all heights in order to suck juice or something from the rim at the bottom of the pod (Dick's hatband), usually later in the season. Just yesterday I cut mine and found a cluster of small shiny little beetles doing the same thing. They were ringed around the rim of a pod, pretty small in size and mostly shiny black about 1/8th inch or so in size.

If I run into them again I'll photo and try to research them.

Last edited:

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The article fails to list another couple of pests I've had problems with in the past....fireants! Those little suckers will climb to all heights in order to suck juice or something from the rim at the bottom of the pod (Dick's hatband). usually later in the season. Just yesterday I cut mine and found a cluster of small shiny little beetles doing the same thing. They were ringed around the rim of a pod, pretty small in size and mostly shiny black about 1/8th inch or so in size.

If I run into them again I'll photo and try to research them.
I had those beetles around my garden this year. I planted a bunch of morning glory around and they hammered them but did not touch my garden plants.