Wanton waste and goose hunting

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Getting ready for annual snow goose hunt and was looking for a video about cleaning birds. Most of the places we hunt have one of the many different tools that rips the breasts out and leaves the wings attached. Handy when cleaning birds but not very efficient when it comes to getting all the edible meat. You end up leaving legs and thighs behind.... not a lot of meat but enough especially when you are talking a couple of hundred birds.

Seeing where just about everyone throws the legs and thighs away using the method of ripping the breast out is that not the definition of wanton waste? I guess it's not enforced.
No way to keep legs and thighs and keep a wing attached with above method.

Be curious if anyone has tricks for cleaning whole birds.

Last edited:

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Fyi Arkansas defines it as breast meat on all game birds.....

Screenshot_20230112-002731_Chrome.jpg

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
When I clean birds for breast only (except doves) I lay them on their back and put a foot on each wing, as close to the body as possible, grab both legs and "stand up". Separates the breast from the other meat but leaves the wings attached to the breast.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Getting ready for annual snow goose hunt and was looking for a video about cleaning birds. Most of the places we hunt have one of the many different tools that rips the breasts out and leaves the wings attached. Handy when cleaning birds but not very efficient when it comes to getting all the edible meat. You end up leaving legs and thighs behind.... not a lot of meat but enough especially when you are talking a couple of hundred birds.

Seeing where just about everyone throws the legs and thighs away using the method of ripping the breast out is that not the definition of wanton waste? I guess it's not enforced.
No way to keep legs and thighs and keep a wing attached with above method.

I would say a plucker or paraffin.

We used paraffin for years (hated it) until someone made a drum plucker out of a washing machine. That thing was the bees knees.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
Shame there wasn't a way to tell what type of bird it was from the feet, could literally keep that wasted leg meat with one foot attached to show what kind it is

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Thighs and legs are good, I cook them in a crockpot using any good beef stew recipe.

Last edited:

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
Wondering also if you bring the set up and can them while there? a case of mason jars and pressure cooker, might not be able to keep them all, but likely be able to jam 3-4 birds worth of leg and thigh meat in a jar to bring home
I have canned turkey legs and it works well

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Wondering also if you bring the set up and can them while there? a case of mason jars and pressure cooker, might not be able to keep them all, but likely be able to jam 3-4 birds worth of leg and thigh meat in a jar to bring home
I have canned turkey legs and it works well

How do you cook your Turkey legs?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
is that not the definition of wanton waste

as you pointed out in your second post, states define "wanton waste" differently, and differently by species

me, I define it differently - that's the difference between written law and personal ethics

pluck and cut
skinning works as well, but wastes good skin and fat (useful in cooking)
can also use those fancy breasting tools, then go back and salvage legs and thighs by skinning - then go get the hearts, gizzards and livers (except for those of Blue Blood who don't eat "offal")

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I guess I find it odd that there isn't a video out there on how to prep a whole snow goose legally to travel across state lines.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Off topic for the waterfowl forum but the edible portions of game mammals includes the loins and tenderloins. I know some people clean their deer without gutting and skip the loins. That would be wanton waste by this definition.
I don't believe NC has a wanton waste law that applies to deer. That screen shot is from Arkansas wildlife

np307

Ten Pointer
Off topic for the waterfowl forum but the edible portions of game mammals includes the loins and tenderloins. I know some people clean their deer without gutting and skip the loins. That would be wanton waste by this definition.
I've known plenty of people who claim that people who don't gut don't take tenderloins but I've never known someone who doesn't. I don't gut and always take tenderloins, often heart too.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Waterfowl have a federal rule for wanton waste, but it basically just says you have to retrieve your birds, doesn’t list what parts must be used.

I kept a snow goose that we shot during our swan hunt this year and the legs made for really good bbq meat in the crockpot, they shredded more finely like pork than other types of meat I’ve used for that recipe