Wanting to start reloading

Wv67

Ten Pointer
I’m wanting to get into loading my own shells for turkeys can some of you veteran loaders give me a list of things I need to buy thanks in advance.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
1st Question: Is it your intent to only reload shells in one gauge and do you expect this to be low volume production?

2nd Question: Will you be reloading only one length of shell?

Wv67

Ten Pointer
Just for 12 gauge for now maybe 20 gauge later , and in 3 inch. Just loading for turks wanna go the route of TSS. Do t have any knowledge of any of it , and thought it would be cool to learn the method and have a new hobby. At 53

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I would start with this. It's great for learning the basics and if you decide you don't enjoy reloading you don't have an arm and a leg invested. I had one as a kid and loaded hundreds of dove loads without as much as a hiccup. I think you can even get one through Amazon! You're biggest challenge will be finding powder, primers, and shot.

I think you can even get one through Amazon!

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Just for 12 gauge for now maybe 20 gauge later , and in 3 inch. Just loading for turks wanna go the route of TSS. Do t have any knowledge of any of it , and thought it would be cool to learn the method and have a new hobby. At 53

The first place to start IS to educate yourself with the process(s). There’s lots of info available out there, one of the most recognizable books on reloading is Lyman’s 5th edition. Once familiarized, you’d then have a better understanding of what and how you want to proceed with your new “hobby” and what purchases will best fit your needs.

It’s lots of fun and satisfactory rolling your own, no doubt. There are many here that are willing help you along the way. Have fun but safety first as you want to make sure your loads are pressure safe.

fowlhntr

Six Pointer
Join the forum Tungsten Super Shots lot of great info there to get you on your way for TSS loading

CBD21

Eight Pointer
If just wanting to load one gauge with TSS for turkeys there’s no way I would even worry about messing with a press, roll crimp all the way in that case. I will say components are rough to find right now, but I would start by sending @hawglips a message and he will steer you in the right direction.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
It will be frustrating getting into reloading right now because of the lack of choices in components. Two years ago was like the good old days, you scrolled through pages of powders,primers,and now when one thing becomes available it's like they are giving out gold coins

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
MEC single stage presses start at $250 or so. The Lee sells for $60. The OP stated that he only wanted to load turkey rounds. I have two friends that wanted to get into reloading and two years later they quit. One worked up a nice load for a .243, loaded a couple of hundred rounds and quit. He told me he didn't need to load anymore and that he had enough to last him a lifetime. At the time he could have just bought a factory load that shot well and saved a lot of time and money. The other friend did the same, worked up a load and loaded two boxes (40 rounds) for the same reason and quit. I would price my favorite turkey load for say 25 or 50 rounds and then compare the cost of purchasing a press, powder, primers, shot, shells and other misc. items, including a bench and some room in your house or shed. Reloading is a hobby in and of itself. I have as much fun reloading as I do shooting. I have several hunting rifles that I have enough loaded ammo to last me a lifetime just like the friends I mentioned earlier. I usually do a check shot or two and go hunting. A twenty round box will last me 2-3 seasons (with 6 deer limit). I have the same box of turkey loads now for many years. It is a 10 round box. So far I have shot 6 turkeys with 6 rounds. Duh...
But I shoot over a 1,000 rounds of rifle ammo a year (mostly single shot) at steel and paper. As to shotgun reloading unless you are an avid wing shooter (either wild or tamies) or shoot some form of clays I see no reason to reload. I buy a case of dove loads and a case of duck loads every year or two. I have plenty of duck loads left.:mad:

la angler

Six Pointer
You probably can pick up a used mec 600 jr. or a sizemaster for much cheaper than new. These are ultra reliable machines and if you need parts they are the easiest to find

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Wv67, as others have already pointed you in the right direction with Hawglips, he is the one to get you started in the right direction with TSS loads, since he started this with TSS many years ago. I got bit by the 20 ga bug right before turkey season ended and went to Fuquay Gun and bought a Stevens 301 20 ga single shot and got up with Hal on here and got started. He lives just out of Garner and we loaded up some shells just few days ago....taught me how to roll crimp, put together the load, where to buy all the wads, tools, etc....even sells the TSS shot. Have hunted with a 12 ga all my life, but will never take it turkey hunting again after seeing what a 20 will do with TSS. Get up with Hal on here and you will be starting with the best.