Wanting to set up a target range.

EazyE02

Button Buck
Hey y'all! I've been wanting to do an at home shooting range, for like pistols, ARs, Shotguns, and some rifle bolt actions.. I have a strip of land that is 100 yards from a barn to the edge of the wood line, but if I go to the road its maybe 400 or so haven't measured it yet. I have not shot steel targets only cardboard boxes, I have thought about going to paper targets, but I was wondering what would be the best way to make some stand, should I do like maybe a stand for paper targets for zeroing guns, or should I build a sturdier frame with a plywood board behind it?

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I agree about the backstop. But, wood will not be Sufficient. I have built a few with each being backed by a "winged" mound of dirt. I like the mound about 10' high and usually around 10-12' wide. They usually end up being as thick as the are tall. Within the "capture" zone (for lack of a better term) I install 4X4 posts with a brace across the top and attach old heavy rubber conveyor belt to pin targets to. The rubber is sorta self healing and will last many years. I also make a box with a door mounted to one end to keep the pins in so they're there when needed. The kids used to love digging in the dirt reclaiming the bullets, but could also be done to melt and recast lead tips.

EazyE02

Button Buck
Ok, I will do a backstop. Just gotta think how I'm gonna set up the targets and space them out, I think I have an idea on what I'm gonna do.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I have a stand made of PVC that I use for 25 and 50 yds. Makes it easy to use. Downrange at 100 I just have a stand made of 4x4 and 2x4 for paper shooting and an A-frame made of 2x4 with metal hanging from chain.

I have 2 ranges at my home and over the years the best target stands Ive ever made that have held up are made from either Water Pipe that you can just screw together or Re-Bar that I have welded together... I use strips of old Fire Hose to hang targets on.... Staple gun to staple paper too....

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I agree about the stop. I have always had some type of heavy equipment here so I have had an advantage. But it is imperative to stop those projectiles. Even the ones that occasionally are errant.

specialk

Twelve Pointer
I pick up wooden pallets every time I see one...got a dozen or so.....one will last me a year.....I can staple or tack paper targets to them....use a couple old broom handles or the like to prop them up.....

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I use old metal frames like real estate agents use, and then use corrugated cardboard in the frames.
Also have a 15' x75' pile of dirt that has been there for 50 years from when they dug an irrigation pond. I can shoot up to 275 yards.